News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Nashville/Middle Tennessee

Started by wriddle082, August 16, 2014, 11:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-55

Extend the 3rd mainline lane all the way to 396. Build an interchange at Thompson's Station Rd.

Have a 4th auxiliary lane on each side between the entrance/exit for 396 to the entrance/exit at the new interchange. Do the same thing between the new interchange and 840. Sign 396 as an interstate (optional, but cool).

Sign the exits for both Thompson's Station and 396 right as traffic enters from 840, in overhead bgs format to let motorists know the distance and lanes that'll go away.

[ EXIT 53 ]   
[                                             ]    [                              ]   
[           ( I-65 ) SOUTH            ]    [    (TN-396) WEST    ]                            [ EXIT 57 ]
[                                             ]    [                              ]    [                                      ]
[               Huntsville                ]    [        Spring Hill       ]    [   Thompson's Station Rd  ]
[                                             ]    [        Columbia         ]    [                                      ]
[      |                            |        ]    [      4      |  MILES    ]    [     1 1/4      |     MILES    ]
[      v                           v        ]    [              v               ]    [                  v                  ]

This should keep slower motorists going south of 396 from merging over to the right, and free up the second lane from the right (at least a little) If you miss your merge, tough luck, take the exit and try again.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

Avalanchez71

Quote from: I-39 on February 24, 2021, 04:35:18 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on February 24, 2021, 04:24:41 PM
Quote from: I-39 on February 24, 2021, 08:46:22 AM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on February 24, 2021, 07:54:56 AM
They don't need any more lanes south of I-840.  The number of lanes is sufficient.  It is the right lane runners who do not want to merge until the last minute that cause the bottlenecks.  These are the folks that now the lane merges but insist on running the right lane all the way to the merge point.  I saw someone get killed once because they ran the right lane all the way to the merge point then they attempted to slingshot over to the left lane in front of everyone.  Needless to say the clipped other vehicles and they were lifeless.

Completely disagree. It is very tight on the stretch between I-840 and SR 396 (I drive this all the time) and SB I-65 at I-840 routinely sees backups on (especially on Friday's) due to the the merge. Also, the Buckner Road interchange and the forthcoming June Lake development (not to mention the continued growth of south Spring Hill which will put more commuters on SR 396 to I-65) is only going to intensify an already busy corridor.

Once the Buckner Road interchange goes in, TDOT is going to need to get a move on extending the eight lane section of I-65 from I-840 to SR 396. However, south of there to Bear Creek Pike isn't quite needed at this time.

All you are going to do is move the merge.  The merge point was heretofore at Goose Creek By-Pass/Peytonsville Road and the same thing existed.  Once you were past the bottleneck it was wide open with volume.  You are just moving the merge point.

Not really, as a lot of traffic gets off at SR 396. It wouldn't be as nearly as bad as I-840.

By your logic, I-65 shouldn't have been widened south of SR 96.

I was fine with I-65 when it was four lanes all through Williamson County.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: I-55 on February 25, 2021, 12:08:38 AM
Extend the 3rd mainline lane all the way to 396. Build an interchange at Thompson's Station Rd.

Have a 4th auxiliary lane on each side between the entrance/exit for 396 to the entrance/exit at the new interchange. Do the same thing between the new interchange and 840. Sign 396 as an interstate (optional, but cool).

Sign the exits for both Thompson's Station and 396 right as traffic enters from 840, in overhead bgs format to let motorists know the distance and lanes that'll go away.

[ EXIT 53 ]   
[                                             ]    [                              ]   
[           ( I-65 ) SOUTH            ]    [    (TN-396) WEST    ]                            [ EXIT 57 ]
[                                             ]    [                              ]    [                                      ]
[               Huntsville                ]    [        Spring Hill       ]    [   Thompson's Station Rd  ]
[                                             ]    [        Columbia         ]    [                                      ]
[      |                            |        ]    [      4      |  MILES    ]    [     1 1/4      |     MILES    ]
[      v                           v        ]    [              v               ]    [                  v                  ]

This should keep slower motorists going south of 396 from merging over to the right, and free up the second lane from the right (at least a little) If you miss your merge, tough luck, take the exit and try again.

Thompson's Station Rd is in Thompson's Station at that point.  There is much less enthusiasm there about development in that corridor.  The Alexander farm to the south is sold off and the Buckner Road interchange in Spring Hill will be built.  I am not happy at all about that but it is in the plans and approved.  I disagreed with Rick Graham (Spring Hill Mayor) over pushing for an interchange at this location.  They could have built a feeder/collector ramp from SR 396 over behind Kroger to Lovell Lane and Carpenter Pass.

I-39

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on February 25, 2021, 08:12:27 AM
They don't need any more lanes south of I-840.  The number of lanes is sufficient.  It is the right lane runners who do not want to merge until the last minute that cause the bottlenecks.  These are the folks that now the lane merges but insist on running the right lane all the way to the merge point.  I saw someone get killed once because they ran the right lane all the way to the merge point then they attempted to slingshot over to the left lane in front of everyone.  Needless to say the clipped other vehicles and they were lifeless.

Completely disagree. It is very tight on the stretch between I-840 and SR 396 (I drive this all the time) and SB I-65 at I-840 routinely sees backups on (especially on Friday's) due to the the merge. Also, the Buckner Road interchange and the forthcoming June Lake development (not to mention the continued growth of south Spring Hill which will put more commuters on SR 396 to I-65) is only going to intensify an already busy corridor.

Once the Buckner Road interchange goes in, TDOT is going to need to get a move on extending the eight lane section of I-65 from I-840 to SR 396. However, south of there to Bear Creek Pike isn't quite needed at this time.

All you are going to do is move the merge.  The merge point was heretofore at Goose Creek By-Pass/Peytonsville Road and the same thing existed.  Once you were past the bottleneck it was wide open with volume.  You are just moving the merge point.

Not really, as a lot of traffic gets off at SR 396. It wouldn't be as nearly as bad as I-840.

Well sorry, but growth happens. If you don't like the growth in Williamson County, move to Hohenwald. Regardless of your personal feelings, the Buckner interchange and I-65 widening is needed.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: I-39 on February 25, 2021, 12:44:16 PM

Well sorry, but growth happens. If you don't like the growth in Williamson County, move to Hohenwald. Regardless of your personal feelings, the Buckner interchange and I-65 widening is needed.

Well look what it did for Smyrna; nothing.  It did nothing but make traffic worse in Smyrna.  SR 266 is four lanes now and it is always so backed up when I go out that way.  It was never like that when it was two lanes.  I-24 is widened but it still backs up.  Adding lanes will just add more congestion.

I-39

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on February 25, 2021, 01:59:31 PM

Well look what it did for Smyrna; nothing.  It did nothing but make traffic worse in Smyrna.  SR 266 is four lanes now and it is always so backed up when I go out that way.  It was never like that when it was two lanes.  I-24 is widened but it still backs up.  Adding lanes will just add more congestion.

Doing nothing adds even more congestion. What are they suppose to do? Imagine if I-65 was still four lanes throughout Williamson County. By your logic, nothing would ever get widened. And your proposal above is a terrible idea as it does nothing to help the congestion on the north side of town.

People complaining about the growth is getting really annoying. Either you are moving forward or backward, things can't stay the same forever.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: I-39 on February 25, 2021, 02:21:00 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on February 25, 2021, 01:59:31 PM

Doing nothing adds even more congestion. What are they suppose to do? Imagine if I-65 was still four lanes throughout Williamson County. By your logic, nothing would ever get widened. And your proposal above is a terrible idea as it does nothing to help the congestion on the north side of town.

People complaining about the growth is getting really annoying. Either you are moving forward or backward, things can't stay the same forever.

Have you even tried going I-65 to I-840 to US 431 to Critz Ln to Pantall Rd to Thompson's Station Rd to access the north end of town.  It's a pretty good ride.  There is even a traffic light at Critz Ln and US 431.

I-39

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on February 25, 2021, 02:36:36 PMHave you even tried going I-65 to I-840 to US 431 to Critz Ln to Pantall Rd to Thompson's Station Rd to access the north end of town.  It's a pretty good ride.  There is even a traffic light at Critz Ln and US 431.

Yep, but that is not even remotely convenient for most people as a Buckner Road interchange. Plus, those roads are substandard, dangerous roads (especially at night). You still have to get on Buckner or US 31 sooner or later, which are narrow two lane roads, but I guess those shouldn't be widened either.

With all due respect, you are being a bit ridiculous here. Development has and will continue to happen and the roads need to be widened, period. If you don't like it, move out to the country. This is the suburbs.

Avalanchez71

It appears that work is beginning along Buckner Ln in Spring Hill.  Some of the best land is being torn up at this time.

codyg1985

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on November 10, 2021, 08:39:08 AM
It appears that work is beginning along Buckner Ln in Spring Hill.  Some of the best land is being torn up at this time.

I drove along I-65 and US 431 on Monday through that area, and I didn't see any evidence of construction at the interstate or along US 431. I guess they will be working from west to east.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

I-39

Quote from: codyg1985 on November 10, 2021, 08:42:10 AM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on November 10, 2021, 08:39:08 AM

I drove along I-65 and US 431 on Monday through that area, and I didn't see any evidence of construction at the interstate or along US 431. I guess they will be working from west to east.

They are indeed doing that. They are working on realigning Buckner Lane between Buckner Road and Thompson's Station Road at the moment. Next year they will begin construction on the actual interchange as well as widening Buckner Lane south to Duplex Road. Both are critically needed, along with widening 31 and Port Royal Road.

I-39

At long last, the Mack Hatcher northwest extension opened today.

http://www.williamsonherald.com/news/local_news/mack-hatcher-northwest-extension-opens/article_ba49e98e-5199-11ec-a230-cb685493c7c6.html

Now onto widening both this extension and the southeast leg, as well as Columbia Ave.

Avalanchez71

:ded:
Quote from: I-39 on November 30, 2021, 12:26:28 PM

http://www.williamsonherald.com/news/local_news/mack-hatcher-northwest-extension-opens/article_ba49e98e-5199-11ec-a230-cb685493c7c6.html

Now onto widening both this extension and the southeast leg, as well as Columbia Ave.
This is a whacked out way to route anything.  It will not be long before that is opened up and developed.

I-39

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on December 01, 2021, 12:47:42 PM

This is a whacked out way to route anything.  It will not be long before that is opened up and developed.

Lol, I wondered when you'd reply.

Not sure if I'd really want to build anything on the NW side of Franklin considering the massive flood plain there. Nevertheless, widening will be needed on this section within 5-10 years thanks to the overbuilt Westhaven subdivision.

I don't see the SW leg being built for another 20-30 years at the soonest. There is not really an urgent need for it at the moment. So many things are needed ahead of it.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: I-39 on December 01, 2021, 06:13:21 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on December 01, 2021, 12:47:42 PM

Lol, I wondered when you'd reply.

Not sure if I'd really want to build anything on the NW side of Franklin considering the massive flood plain there. Nevertheless, widening will be needed on this section within 5-10 years thanks to the overbuilt Westhaven subdivision.

I don't see the SW leg being built for another 20-30 years at the soonest. There is not really an urgent need for it at the moment. So many things are needed ahead of it.

Those that moved into Westhaven should have known the cumbersome issues they moved into.

I-39

It looks like barriers are going up on I-65 in Spring Hill at the Buckner Road interchange site. Good to see this critically needed project moving forward.

wriddle082

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/on-the-rise/one-time-fund-would-widen-roads-improve-major-interchanges-in-tennessee

One-time fund would widen roads, improve major interchanges

Gov. Lee prioritizes 22 TDOT projects, with half in Middle Tenn.

It was the biggest job announcement in state history.

With Oracle's pledge to bring 8,500 jobs to Nashville and make a $1.2 billion investment in the River North development, Gov. Bill Lee has prioritized a major road project to accommodate the plan.

In a list of 22 projects just released, he's appropriating $40 million for the Oracle project. The plan calls for the Tennessee Department of Transportation to raise Interstate 24, creating an underpass, extending Cleveland St below the interstate to reach River North. The road currently dead-ends at Dickerson Road.

The plan also calls for a pedestrian tunnel from Grace Street under the interstate to allow people and bikes to safely cross, connecting the Cleveland Park and McFerrin Park neighborhoods in East Nashville to the future site.

"It's going to be really critical for that access to be safe and done correctly," said TDOT spokesperson Rebekah Hammonds. "It's a huge development for Nashville, which of course in turn we know how Nashville can impact the region. So there are going to be a lot of people trying to get in and out of that development. If we don't protect citizens' safety while trying to cross the interstate, we're going to have a lot of problems on our hands."

It's one of 22 projects the governor has prioritized statewide in the one-time appropriation in his budget totaling more than $626 million.

Half of the projects on the list are located in Middle Tennessee.

Others include Interstate 40 in Bellevue, where the plan calls for widening the interstate near McCrory Lane from two to three lanes in each direction. Crews would also replace the bridge over McCrory Lane.

"That's such a busy area and the fact that the interstate is only two lanes – three lanes is going to be a massive improvement," said Hammonds.

In Rutherford County, the I-24 Epps Mill Road interchange would get extensions for the ramps, new signals and a slight shift in the roadway.

In Gallatin, on Vietnam Veterans Boulevard (386), crews would widen the highway to three lanes in each direction near Hwy 109. The plan also calls for making the Long Hollow Pike intersection a full, highway interchange.

Several rural interchanges along I-40 would get an upgrade, with crews widening the roads leading to the interstate, re-working the interchange and allowing for more traffic flow, including:

I-40 at SR 56 in Putnam County
I-40 at SR 48 in Dickson County
I-40 at SR50 in Hickman County
I-40 at SR 13 in Humphreys County
I-40 at SR 69 in Decatur County
"A lot of times a developer or businesses will approach a county or city and say we want to put this in, but this interchange or state route might not support the traffic volume we would bring in, Hammonds said. "A lot of times there needs to be an access road or widening job or interchange improvement in order to facilitate and handle that growth."

If the budget that includes the funding is approved, it could still take several years for the projects to get underway.

I-39

Avalanchez71

I predict more accidents and worse traffic congestion.  This will just be worse off than the status quo.

wriddle082

Road Hog

The completion of I-840 from I-40 to I-24 has been a godsend. Although I did get to check out some communities between the two ends before completion, such as Leiper's Fork and Franklin.

ibthebigd

Quote from: Road Hog on July 27, 2022, 10:37:03 PM
The completion of I-840 from I-40 to I-24 has been a godsend. Although I did get to check out some communities between the two ends before completion, such as Leiper's Fork and Franklin.
I wish they would extend I-840 up to I-65 north to the Kentucky state line or farther north

SM-G996U

Avalanchez71

Quote from: ibthebigd on September 21, 2022, 05:18:58 AM
Quote from: Road Hog on July 27, 2022, 10:37:03 PM
I wish they would extend I-840 up to I-65 north to the Kentucky state line or farther north

SM-G996U

This has been discussed so many times just like beating a dead horse.

civilengineeringnerd

Quote from: wriddle082 on February 12, 2022, 08:57:53 AM
https://www.newschannel5.com/news/on-the-rise/one-time-fund-would-widen-roads-improve-major-interchanges-in-tennessee

One-time fund would widen roads, improve major interchanges

Gov. Lee prioritizes 22 TDOT projects, with half in Middle Tenn.

It was the biggest job announcement in state history.

With Oracle's pledge to bring 8,500 jobs to Nashville and make a $1.2 billion investment in the River North development, Gov. Bill Lee has prioritized a major road project to accommodate the plan.

In a list of 22 projects just released, he's appropriating $40 million for the Oracle project. The plan calls for the Tennessee Department of Transportation to raise Interstate 24, creating an underpass, extending Cleveland St below the interstate to reach River North. The road currently dead-ends at Dickerson Road.

The plan also calls for a pedestrian tunnel from Grace Street under the interstate to allow people and bikes to safely cross, connecting the Cleveland Park and McFerrin Park neighborhoods in East Nashville to the future site.

"It's going to be really critical for that access to be safe and done correctly," said TDOT spokesperson Rebekah Hammonds. "It's a huge development for Nashville, which of course in turn we know how Nashville can impact the region. So there are going to be a lot of people trying to get in and out of that development. If we don't protect citizens' safety while trying to cross the interstate, we're going to have a lot of problems on our hands."

It's one of 22 projects the governor has prioritized statewide in the one-time appropriation in his budget totaling more than $626 million.

Half of the projects on the list are located in Middle Tennessee.

Others include Interstate 40 in Bellevue, where the plan calls for widening the interstate near McCrory Lane from two to three lanes in each direction. Crews would also replace the bridge over McCrory Lane.

"That's such a busy area and the fact that the interstate is only two lanes – three lanes is going to be a massive improvement," said Hammonds.

In Rutherford County, the I-24 Epps Mill Road interchange would get extensions for the ramps, new signals and a slight shift in the roadway.

In Gallatin, on Vietnam Veterans Boulevard (386), crews would widen the highway to three lanes in each direction near Hwy 109. The plan also calls for making the Long Hollow Pike intersection a full, highway interchange.

Several rural interchanges along I-40 would get an upgrade, with crews widening the roads leading to the interstate, re-working the interchange and allowing for more traffic flow, including:

I-40 at SR 56 in Putnam County
I-40 at SR 48 in Dickson County
I-40 at SR50 in Hickman County
I-40 at SR 13 in Humphreys County
I-40 at SR 69 in Decatur County
"A lot of times a developer or businesses will approach a county or city and say we want to put this in, but this interchange or state route might not support the traffic volume we would bring in, Hammonds said. "A lot of times there needs to be an access road or widening job or interchange improvement in order to facilitate and handle that growth."

If the budget that includes the funding is approved, it could still take several years for the projects to get underway.
the SR-48 Interchange does need improvement, loves on that exit is a major draw for truckers on that exit. ive visited it back when i did doordash in that area a few times, even stayed briefly during a snowstorm.
Every once in awhile declare peace! it confuses the hell outta your enemies!

bwana39

Quote from: Chrysler375Freeway on November 04, 2021, 11:25:55 PM
Does anyone here (other than me) think it's time to upgrade Nashville's infrastructure considering it's getting crowded and traffic is increasing? And how should it be upgraded? What can be done to upgrade the infrastructure of the Nashville area as a whole to handle the population increases?

So to keep the protestors at bay. I have moved this to the top

I will add one thing. As badly as Nashville needs the upgrades, Memphis is probably more needy.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.