News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NBC Sports Network to shut down at the end of 2021

Started by kevinb1994, January 24, 2021, 06:43:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevinb1994

https://www.kshb.com/sports/nbc-sports-network-to-shut-down-at-end-of-2021

I'm not really gonna miss it much. I've switched from Comcast to AT&T, and that is all I have to say.

hbelkins

Only thing I watched on it was NASCAR, and since I've quit watching NASCAR, I won't miss it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

Looks like NASCAR is moving to USA.  Hopefully ESPN can reacquire the broadcast rights, it was way better there anyways. 

brad2971

This is a very smart move by Comcast/NBC, as it helps USA Network with ratings and cable subscriber fees. Look for ViacomCBS to do the same with CBS Sports Network, possibly as soon as the end of this year's NCAA tournament.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 24, 2021, 08:34:55 PM
Looks like NASCAR is moving to USA.  Hopefully ESPN can reacquire the broadcast rights, it was way better there anyways. 

NBC's NASCAR package runs July-November, includes both Xfinity and Cup series, which has either Friday night/Saturday night weekends or Saturday afternoon/Sunday afternoon weekends, and ESPN is not giving up that much time on Saturdays in September-November to NASCAR when they are making so much on college football.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: brad2971 on January 24, 2021, 09:01:46 PM
This is a very smart move by Comcast/NBC, as it helps USA Network with ratings and cable subscriber fees. Look for ViacomCBS to do the same with CBS Sports Network, possibly as soon as the end of this year's NCAA tournament.

We're quickly approaching the point where only major events are going to be left on broadcast/cable and everything else is going to be on premium services like ESPN+, Peacock, CBS All Access. I imagine FOX will follow suit and come out with a premium service before too long.

1995hoo

The NHL TV deal is up for renewal this summer. Be interesting to see what they do.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cabiness42 on January 24, 2021, 09:07:49 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 24, 2021, 08:34:55 PM

NBC's NASCAR package runs July-November, includes both Xfinity and Cup series, which has either Friday night/Saturday night weekends or Saturday afternoon/Sunday afternoon weekends, and ESPN is not giving up that much time on Saturdays in September-November to NASCAR when they are making so much on college football.

Yes, I just miss the the races used to be covered.  I recall a lot of races during that time of year were on TNN?

SectorZ

I can't think of the last time I've flipped on the USA Network. I forget it existed, and I remember being an OG cable station when I got cable at 4 years old an eternity ago.

brad2971

Quote from: cabiness42 on January 24, 2021, 09:09:55 PM

We're quickly approaching the point where only major events are going to be left on broadcast/cable and everything else is going to be on premium services like ESPN+, Peacock, CBS All Access. I imagine FOX will follow suit and come out with a premium service before too long.

Once the NFL TV contract gets settled sometime this spring, and seeing what FOX will end up with, I could see a successful bid for the entire FOX Corporation, including FOX News, by Netflix. Such a successful bid would give Netflix entry into both the sports and news businesses at a somewhat lower price/better logistics that what it would take Netflix to bid on sports leagues by themselves. Not to mention, Netflix would get broadcast TV licenses in most of the markets that have NFC (or even some AFC) teams.

thspfc

Quote from: brad2971 on January 24, 2021, 09:23:54 PM

Once the NFL TV contract gets settled sometime this spring, and seeing what FOX will end up with, I could see a successful bid for the entire FOX Corporation, including FOX News, by Netflix. Such a successful bid would give Netflix entry into both the sports and news businesses at a somewhat lower price/better logistics that what it would take Netflix to bid on sports leagues by themselves. Not to mention, Netflix would get broadcast TV licenses in most of the markets that have NFC (or even some AFC) teams.
I hope that doesn't happen. Netflix is a terrible company and I would have a hard time watching anything of theirs. I've heard that Fox and ESPN may both be interested in the NHL. I don't know where ESPN would find room for that on cable because they're not giving up NBA or college basketball, so that would mean streaming. NBC has already ruined the Premier League for me because Peacock is so bad that it's not even worth the price. I imagine the shutdown of NBCSN will only push more games onto Peacock. I don't think Fox will shut down FS1 though. They have a number of marquee talk shows, and seem to be trying to compete with ESPN in that market because of their recent additions like Skip Bayless, Colin Cowherd, and Emmanuel Acho.

I-39

I've been saying for a while ViacomCBS would be a better acquisition for Netflix.

SP Cook

There are four legs upon which NBCSN stood. 

NHL -  Its biggest property.  Many media sources believe this is an indication that Comcast (NBC) believes that it cannot retain the NHL rights against Disney (ESPN/ABC) and w/o the NHL, NBCSN would be dead.  The contract runs out after this season.

NASCAR - NASCAR is dying.  It has, via idiot moves, lost 2 out of 3 of its fans in just a decade and a half.  No reason to believe the bleeding will stop.  The contract will run out after the 24 season.  NBC will burn off it commitment on USA but most sources think that both Fox and NBC have no interest in pouring more $$ down that rathole.  Some say that CBS may be the eventual destination for NASCAR.

Indy - While the ratings are small, the niche is very loyal. The contract will run out after this season.  Look for ESPN to pick it back up.

Euro soccer - Broadcasters have discovered that euro soccer fans are generally not fans of other sports.  Thus the sport makes more $$ behind a paywall on the internet than it does on a traditional channel. 

Henry

Nothing from them surprises me anymore. NBC as a whole hasn't had anything worth watching for years.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: SP Cook on January 25, 2021, 10:35:17 AM

NHL -  Its biggest property.  Many media sources believe this is an indication that Comcast (NBC) believes that it cannot retain the NHL rights against Disney (ESPN/ABC) and w/o the NHL, NBCSN would be dead.  The contract runs out after this season.

NASCAR - NASCAR is dying.  It has, via idiot moves, lost 2 out of 3 of its fans in just a decade and a half.  No reason to believe the bleeding will stop.  The contract will run out after the 24 season.  NBC will burn off it commitment on USA but most sources think that both Fox and NBC have no interest in pouring more $$ down that rathole.  Some say that CBS may be the eventual destination for NASCAR.

Indy - While the ratings are small, the niche is very loyal. The contract will run out after this season.  Look for ESPN to pick it back up.

Euro soccer - Broadcasters have discovered that euro soccer fans are generally not fans of other sports.  Thus the sport makes more $$ behind a paywall on the internet than it does on a traditional channel. 

ESPN isn't going to have room to add hockey and IndyCar without pushing a bunch more stuff to ESPN+

hbelkins

I'd stuck it out through the Chase, stage racing, infinite rules changes, and so on. But in the past year, not only have I quit watching NASCAR, but I no longer watch University of Kentucky basketball. I'm done with the latter until Calipari leaves. I tolerated his "one and done" recruiting and his terrible in-game coaching moves. But as with NASCAR, stuff unrelated to the sporting contests themselves turned me away.

I'm still a fan of UK football, but that could change as well.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

I would not be totally shocked if the NHL is less willing to go to ESPN than some people expect, simply because Gary Bettman is known to have a bit of a vindictive streak. ESPN originally created the ESPN2 channel largely to carry the NHL, but after the lost 2004—05 season, they more or less refused to carry hockey unless the league paid them. Bettman will not have forgotten that.

I won't be surprised if some amount of hockey winds up on ESPN, but I will be mildly surprised if that network becomes the primary carrier.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Life in Paradise

Quote from: I-39 on January 25, 2021, 09:11:00 AM

I've been saying for a while ViacomCBS would be a better acquisition for Netflix.
ViacomCBS has remerged with Paramount, and will be rebranding CBS All Access as Paramount + in March.  The recombined company would take a lot of coin to acquire.

I-39

Quote from: Life in Paradise on January 25, 2021, 12:44:03 PM
Quote from: I-39 on January 25, 2021, 09:11:00 AM

ViacomCBS has remerged with Paramount, and will be rebranding CBS All Access as Paramount + in March.  The recombined company would take a lot of coin to acquire.

Netflix has a market capitalization of 8x ViacomCBS, they could easily acquire ViacomCBS. 

Viacom owned Paramount and remerged with CBS Corp.

It is likely a matter of when before ViacomCBS either gets bought up or merges with someone else as they simply do not have the scale to effectively compete with Netflix, Disney, Comcast, AT&T, etc. Especially if the latter two spinoff WarnerMedia and NBCUniversal respectively and they merge like this analyst argues.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/warnermedia-and-nbcuniversal-should-be-merged-analyst-argues

I-55

I personally think NBC should try and pick up a deal with the MLB for national broadcasts. I know they are involved in multiple regional broadcasts, but, there are plenty of games daily that do not make national TV. NBC will need something to air outside of football season to keep their sports relevant, and I don't see track and field and horse racing as sustainable sources of viewership. Sure they have the Olympics and the Triple Crown, but those are isolated events that don't cover a lot of the year.

With CBS losing SEC football at the end of the 2023 season I could totally see them picking up NASCAR to fill their Saturdays.

I don't know as much about these two but for what I do know this assessment is probably accurate.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

SP Cook

Quote from: hbelkins on January 25, 2021, 12:27:28 PM
I'd stuck it out through the Chase, stage racing, infinite rules changes, and so on. But in the past year, not only have I quit watching NASCAR, but I no longer watch University of Kentucky basketball. I'm done with the latter until Calipari leaves. I tolerated his "one and done" recruiting and his terrible in-game coaching moves. But as with NASCAR, stuff unrelated to the sporting contests themselves turned me away.

I'm still a fan of UK football, but that could change as well.

NASCAR - First generation starts the business, second generation builds the business, third generation destroys the business.  Certainly true in that sport.  The problem is the management has surrounded itself with an amen chorus that spews the idiocy that the sport's growth in the 80s and 90s was somehow a "bubble" or a "fad".  Nope.  Idiot Brian France actually listened to people that thought these idiot rule changes (and rejection of the sport's cultural heritage) were good ideas.

UK basketball - One and done recruiting is a thin margin for a mistake.  My take this year is there really was no AAU season last year, so Cal was working off what these kids did when they were 15 or 16.   Personally I will be happy when one and done is done.  I would go with the rule in college baseball.  A player can go to the pros straight out of HS, or can commit to 3 years of college and be draft eligible again after his junior year.

UK football - There is no reason UK cannot have a solid football program.  It has the right coach and all the facilities.  It just needs to stop expecting to lose to the SEC powers.

Takumi

Quote from: cabiness42 on January 25, 2021, 11:31:34 AM

ESPN isn't going to have room to add hockey and IndyCar without pushing a bunch more stuff to ESPN+

I could see them picking up IndyCar, as they already have Formula 1, and there's quite a bit of fan overlap between those two series.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

JayhawkCO

[sic]

I don't know that I agree with this.  Especially younger generations have now grown up watching the Premier League.  Just because someone cheers for Tottenham doesn't mean they aren't also a Vikings fan.  (Ask me how I know.)

Regarding the paywall, a lot of the smaller clubs can be found on Peacock or ESPN+, but having a Liverpool-Manchester United match on has to drive a decent amount of advertising revenue.

Chris

ftballfan

Kind of odd that NBCSN is shutting down just before the 2022 Winter Olympics, which NBC has the rights to. I thought any shutdown date wouldn't happen until after that event concludes a little over a year from now.

kevinb1994

Quote from: ftballfan on January 28, 2021, 04:03:25 PM
Kind of odd that NBCSN is shutting down just before the 2022 Winter Olympics, which NBC has the rights to. I thought any shutdown date wouldn't happen until after that event concludes a little over a year from now.
Wouldn't the Olympic Channel serve that purpose?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.