News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US Rte. 27/KY Rte. 70 RCUT Intersection

Started by KentuckyParkways, March 18, 2021, 12:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KentuckyParkways

KYTC has announced that they would be replacing the current intersection with a RCUT. Many citizens of the town of Eubank (in witch this intersection serves) have wanted a traffic light at this intersection since the late 90's, before Rte. 27 was widened there was more need for one, even after they widened 27 there was still some need. In August-September 2019 the KYTC had reworked the intersection where the right lanes were turned into right turn lanes, but honestly this causes more confusion than an RCUT will. Link to the KYTC page is posted here: https://transportation.ky.gov/DistrictEight/Pages/US27-KY70-SafetyImprovement.aspx

hbelkins

Quote from: KentuckyParkways on March 18, 2021, 12:12:58 PM
KYTC has announced that they would be replacing the current intersection with a RCUT. Many citizens of the town of Eubank (in witch this intersection serves) have wanted a traffic light at this intersection since the late 90's, before Rte. 27 was widened there was more need for one, even after they widened 27 there was still some need. In August-September 2019 the KYTC had reworked the intersection where the right lanes were turned into right turn lanes, but honestly this causes more confusion than an RCUT will. Link to the KYTC page is posted here: https://transportation.ky.gov/DistrictEight/Pages/US27-KY70-SafetyImprovement.aspx

I hear from my colleagues that the Facebook page discussion on that project is brutal. I haven't checked it out myself, but I plan to.

These are becoming more and more popular, as they seem to be safer than signals.

There was controversy last year in Richmond, where city officials wanted a traffic light installed at one of the intersections along the US 25 bypass (Dr. Robert Martin Drive) but KYTC said the intersection didn't meet warrants and proposed a J-turn instead, and the city balked at the idea. One city official even made a comment along the lines of "that may work in London (where a new one had been built at an accident-prone intersection on KY 80) but it's not acceptable here."

I haven't heard what the situation there is lately.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Stephane Dumas

Did KYDOT also studied the possibility of putting a roundabout as an alternative?

hbelkins

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on March 19, 2021, 05:45:44 PM
Did KYDOT also studied the possibility of putting a roundabout as an alternative?

Not sure a roundabout would be appropriate there, as US 27 is the through route (four lanes) and KY 70 is an intersecting two-lane route.

KentuckyParkways

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on March 19, 2021, 05:45:44 PM
Honestly that would be kind of bad for this intersection, 27  has too much traffic to need a roundabout. If there was ramps for North/South 27 traffic to pass by the roundabout, then possibly this would work. So I'd be betting to say that the KYTC didn't study a roundabout alternative.

ibthebigd

They just put one in Georgetown. Seams to work ok.

SM-G950U

hbelkins

There were a couple of wrecks at this intersection recently, and the outcry for a signal is even greater. There's some sort of public meeting planned for tomorrow night in Eubank to discuss the situation, and KYTC is sending representatives from Frankfort and from other districts to explain the project, which was let a couple of months ago and is supposed to go to construction soon.

hbelkins

This came out today:

https://lnks.gd/2/WWpdPn

The secretary of Transportation yielded to the loud voices in the communities, overruled the engineers, and canceled the construction of the RCUT and ordered the installation of a signal.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.