News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Highway signs with NO control cities

Started by tolbs17, June 18, 2021, 12:14:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: mrsman on March 14, 2022, 08:07:54 PM

Agreed.  A freeway obviously goes somewhere.  I can't think of an example where a freeway, even after reaching its destination city, could not be named for some place that it has yet to reach.  That may not be a city, per se, but it can be a neighborhood or a landmark, or yes, the control cities of connecting routes if the freeway ends at an interchange.  Even a cross-street may be acceptable as a control in limited circumstances.

Kinda like this?

andrepoiy

I guess for Ontario's logic, the MTO probably think that people travelling within the city already know where they're going, or most trips are local trips, and therefore they don't sign controls within urban areas.

mrsman

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on March 15, 2022, 02:08:05 PM
Quote from: mrsman on March 14, 2022, 08:07:54 PM

Agreed.  A freeway obviously goes somewhere.  I can't think of an example where a freeway, even after reaching its destination city, could not be named for some place that it has yet to reach.  That may not be a city, per se, but it can be a neighborhood or a landmark, or yes, the control cities of connecting routes if the freeway ends at an interchange.  Even a cross-street may be acceptable as a control in limited circumstances.

Kinda like this?

That's perfect.  I-37 south leads you to Corpus Christi, and once in Corpus Christi, it leads you to the Bayfront.  As the interstate ends, the roadway continues as a surface street and then ends at the Bayfront.  Definitely serves the purpose of guiding traffic to the water-side.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.