News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Scariest bridge you've ever driven across

Started by bugo, June 15, 2010, 04:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

This beast is the scariest bridge that I've ever crossed:

More pictures are at:

http://bridgehunter.com/mo/miller/grand/

oscar

Try this rickety-looking bridge (one of the Wainiha River crossings on HI 560 in northern Kauai):

I've heard that this bridge was later temporarily replaced, or reinforced, pending construction of a permanent replacement.  Overweight loads weakened it to the point that even a small firetruck could collapse it (and there's no alternate route to the northwest corner of Kauai). 

my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Ian

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

golden eagle

The Huey Long Bridge in New Orleans, because it feels like it sways. It's currently under reconstruction so I hope it will be better.

No really scary, but the U.S. 80 bridge between Vicksburg and the Louisiana border is very narrow.

Duke87

The Tappan Zee Bridge is only scary knowing that about a third of the weight of the main span is supported by buoyancy, so if one of the caissons were ever to spring a leak...

The Goethals Bridge is the really scary one. :-/ Way too narrow for an interstate highway (well, it is I-278...). Good news is a replacement is on the horizon.

I suppose it's also worth giving a nod to the Philly-area Delaware River crossings from before the movable median barriers were installed.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Ian

Quote from: Duke87 on June 15, 2010, 07:51:17 PM
The Tappan Zee Bridge is only scary knowing that about a third of the weight of the main span is supported by buoyancy, so if one of the caissons were ever to spring a leak...

Yeah, they talked about the bridge on what I think was Crumbling America on the History Channel and explained this. Ever since I saw it, the bridge seems more scary.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

xcellntbuy

I remember driving across (crept, might be a better word) this ancient bridge in my old home in Columbia County, NY back in 1979 when it was still open:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaw_Bridge

One lane, very low over the Claverack Creek where there are large old swampy willows, dark dense and heavily forested.  Damn scary!  Never crossed it again.

Jim

The bridge at Matanuska Glacier:

But realistically, I was more concerned that the road would slide off the side of the hill on the other side.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Any bridge that requires me to look down more than a 1,000 yds at whats below.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

agentsteel53

Quote from: golden eagle on June 15, 2010, 07:47:00 PM

No really scary, but the U.S. 80 bridge between Vicksburg and the Louisiana border is very narrow.

I believe that bridge is closed.  At least, it was in 2008 when I was last there.  I don't know if they permanently want people taking the I-20 bridge, or if at the time it was just closed for maintenance.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

bugo

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 15, 2010, 09:26:33 PM

I believe that bridge is closed.  At least, it was in 2008 when I was last there.  I don't know if they permanently want people taking the I-20 bridge, or if at the time it was just closed for maintenance.

It's closed to automobile traffic but open for rail traffic.

brownpelican

The Huey Long Bridge in New Orleans, because it feels like it sways. It's currently under reconstruction so I hope it will be better.

Absolutely. The lanes are very narrow and the bridge vibrates when trains go across it.

[Arial is bad and you should feel bad.]

froggie

IMO, the Tappan Zee is scarier than the Huey Long Bridge.

Another scary bridge, well off the beaten path, is Stuckey's Bridge, southwest of Meridian, MS.

papaT10932

My vote goes to the Dingman's Ferry Bridge which spans the Delaware River between Milford, PA and Sussex County, NJ. You can actually see all of the paint marks along the side of the bridge from cars who have scraped the guard rail. Narrow is an understatement.

golden eagle

Quote from: bugo on June 15, 2010, 09:58:01 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 15, 2010, 09:26:33 PM

I believe that bridge is closed.  At least, it was in 2008 when I was last there.  I don't know if they permanently want people taking the I-20 bridge, or if at the time it was just closed for maintenance.

It's closed to automobile traffic but open for rail traffic.

It had been over ten years since I crossed that bridge and I pledged not to cross it again. Now that I know it's closed to automobiles, that's great news to me.

fixed quote

Mr_Northside

It had been closed to vehicles for at least 6 years already (So I'm already a bit off-topic, especially considering there's a thread about walking across bridges...), but 2 days after my last hike across the Davis Ave. bridge (connecting Riverview Park & Brighton Heights in Pittsburgh's Northside) the breaking news was that it was completely closed and emergency demolition contracts had to be issued because it was in immediate danger of collapse. (They imploded it about 2 weeks later).
I'm still a little pissed about the whole situation.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

iwishiwascanadian

Hmm, I would say it's a cross between either the Delaware Memorial Bridge or the George Washington Bridge.  I'm not a big fan of getting stuck in rush hour traffic on a bridge, and of course, that always happens whenever I'm on the two bridges. 

jdb1234

The scariest bridge for me was the Grants Mill Road bridge over Lake Purdy in Birmingham.  It had a 3 ton weight limit and I was afraid that the bridge was going to fall into lake with me on it.  It is now closed permanently and slated to be replaced.

Scott5114

I'd probably say the sucky little one-lane wooden bridges on several county roads in Carter County, OK. They have a wooden deck made of planks that run perpendicular to the road. There are two "runners" made up of boards set parallel to the road for you to drive across. If you miss the runners, the deck is so bumpy that you nearly lose control of your car.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ShawnP

Two.......The old Jamestown Bridge in Rhode Island and The old Richmond-Lexington bridge in Missouri. Both very narrow and in poor shape. Funny is living in KC I had to drive that darn old Richmond-Lexington bridge many, many times.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: papaT10932 on June 16, 2010, 09:16:44 AM
My vote goes to the Dingman's Ferry Bridge which spans the Delaware River between Milford, PA and Sussex County, NJ. You can actually see all of the paint marks along the side of the bridge from cars who have scraped the guard rail. Narrow is an understatement.

Not really that scary. I've crossed the bridge in the area of 120 times over 19 years. The Dingman's Choice Bridge Company does a good job maintaining it and each Labor Day closing it for maintenance. Remember the the bridge is almost 110 years old. (110 will be in November)

Pond Eddy Bridge to most people is scary, but I've gotten used to crossing it without problems, I mean its a 107-year old relic. It needs replacement, but who knows what's going to happen. No construction is supposed to begin until 2013, when the bridge has its 110th anniversary as well. Its long outlasted its predecessors.

Some of the bridges on the northern end of the Delaware (when its a navigable span), both the Skinners Falls - Milanville Bridge and the Little Equinunk Bridges are one-lane, very tight, large spans. Although they may not look so, both are very well maintained and very old each. Skinners Falls is 109, while the Little E is 121, which is a nice tribute to all who honor the Delaware to have such old bridges.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Bickendan

Hmm, the most unnerving bridge I've been on was walking my bike across the southbound span of the Interstate Bridge from Vancouver to Portland, but it's not in any structural danger. The Sellwood Bridge gets that honor.

The 7th St Bridge between Oregon City and West Linn, however, is unnerving because how narrow it is.

The Premier

I say the most scariest is the All American Bridge in Akron because that bridge is known as the city's suicide bridge. The reason for this is when I drive on the bridge (which is not very often) I'm always worry about someone jumping off of that bridge.
Alex P. Dent

Urban Prairie Schooner

I-10/US 90 Calcasieu River bridge, Lake Charles, Louisiana.  :ded: :ded:

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Urban Prairie Schooner on June 17, 2010, 10:01:16 PM
I-10/US 90 Calcasieu River bridge, Lake Charles, Louisiana.
Yeah, the approaches on both sides of that bridge are something else.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.