News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Illinois Road Videos

Started by Crash_It, October 24, 2021, 06:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

When I was county clinching the rest of Michigan two years ago I went up to the tip of the Keweenaw at US-41's northern terminus. I remember that part of Michigan being very hilly. I drove up Scott Street in Hancock and it was like riding up the side of a cliff almost. You can kind of see it in this GSV image https://www.google.com/maps/@47.1265747,-88.591173,3a,28y,348.54h,92.94t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1suQhB9rNHbqu0AkzPGAcxmw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 but if you go to the left to look up the street the GSV image changes from July 2018 to September 2008 for some reason so the image is rather blurry.

Then you have the Brockway Mountain's and I took the Brockway Mountain Drive just outside of Copper Harbor which was a pretty good climb. But Michigan is still overall a flat state and not known for being hilly or anything like that and Illinois is the same way. What puzzles me is that crash can't admit that Illinois is flat and for some reason goes out of his way to try to find the slightest elevation change and tries to sell that as being hilly. The only neighborhood in Chicago with any type of hills that can actually be considered hills and not just a little bump in the street is Beverly and the only county in Illinois with any type of hills that can actually be considered hills is the same county I've mentioned before (Jo Daviess).

Crash_It

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 18, 2022, 07:59:31 AM
Two things I'm curious about:

-  Why do you put TV content rating labels on your videos?

Easy one. I also air my videos on this public access channel in my area.

Crash_It

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 18, 2022, 11:07:59 AM
The only neighborhood in Chicago with any type of hills that can actually be considered hills and not just a little bump in the street is Beverly and the only county in Illinois with any type of hills that can actually be considered hills is the same county I've mentioned before (Jo Daviess).

Jo Daviess isn't the only county in Illinois that's hilly. I don't know how many times I have to say this.

kphoger

Quote from: Crash_It on May 17, 2022, 10:08:58 PM
I drove on a narrow,hilly and curvy road in Christian County probably a couple weeks ago.

Quote from: kphoger on May 17, 2022, 10:29:29 PM
I'll settle for knowing what road he's talking about, because I can't find a single road in Christian County that even comes close to meeting all three criteria I laid out.

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 17, 2022, 10:47:42 PM
I'm also interested to know what road in Christian County is like that. Taylorsville has an elevation of 630 feet, the average elevation for Illinois is 600 feet.

So...?  What road was it?  Inquiring minds want to know.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Crash_It on May 18, 2022, 01:38:58 PM
The only neighborhood in Chicago with any type of hills that can actually be considered hills and not just a little bump in the street is Beverly and the only county in Illinois with any type of hills that can actually be considered hills is the same county I've mentioned before (Jo Daviess).

Jo Daviess isn't the only county in Illinois that's hilly. I don't know how many times I have to say this.

I think it's more of that since you feel the need to defend your position is why people ask so frequently.  I also think if you had used "hilly"  as opposed to "not flat"  on a certain past video it wouldn't have become a running meme. 

Crash_It

Quote from: kphoger on May 18, 2022, 01:44:00 PM
I drove on a narrow,hilly and curvy road in Christian County probably a couple weeks ago.

I'll settle for knowing what road he's talking about, because I can't find a single road in Christian County that even comes close to meeting all three criteria I laid out.

I'm also interested to know what road in Christian County is like that. Taylorsville has an elevation of 630 feet, the average elevation for Illinois is 600 feet.

I believe it was this one.. or one of the roads around here

https://maps.app.goo.gl/TBCbusmdk2iUctt86

Flint1979

Say it some more because yes it is. I mean seriously how is it so hard to just admit that Illinois is not hilly? Why is that so hard for you to admit? Obviously you are the one that doesn't know much about Illinois.

Crash_It

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 18, 2022, 09:14:40 PM

Say it some more because yes it is. I mean seriously how is it so hard to just admit that Illinois is not hilly? Why is that so hard for you to admit? Obviously you are the one that doesn't know much about Illinois.

I actually live here, how are you going to tell me? I've showed you plenty of areas in other counties that are hilly and you still don't get it. I'll show you again. Here's some hilly terrain in Lake County on a road that I drive on every single day. Alot more than you have

https://maps.app.goo.gl/tJyXBCnkPsuwmGnS6

kphoger

Quote from: Crash_It on May 18, 2022, 08:29:56 PM

Quote from: kphoger on May 18, 2022, 01:44:00 PM

I believe it was this one.. or one of the roads around here

https://maps.app.goo.gl/TBCbusmdk2iUctt86

I don't see any part of that road that ...

"
(1) is in a canyon or mountainous location;
(2) isn't already striped for two-way traffic, such that driving entirely to the right of the center is already required by Article VII;
(3) has curvature so tight that there's a blind curve with visibility less than 200 feet.

"

... so how is it relevant to what you quoted in bringing it up?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Crash_It on May 18, 2022, 09:33:33 PM

I actually live here, how are you going to tell me? I've showed you plenty of areas in other counties that are hilly and you still don't get it. I'll show you again. Here's some hilly terrain in Lake County on a road that I drive on every single day. Alot more than you have

It's hard because it would be admitting that trying to describe Illinois as "not flat"  wasn't worth defending.  If anything the OP has really shown over all his posts on the internet is a unwillingness to admit or learn from mistakes (several are still being dodged in this very thread).  Better to die upon the hill of flatness it seems.

kphoger

Say it some more because no it isn't.  I mean seriously how is it so hard to just admit that Pope County and Union County are hilly?  Why is that so hard for you to admit?  Obviously you don't know much about Illinois.
Male pronouns, please.

Flint1979

I don't care where you live. I have lived in Illinois in my lifetime and know plenty about the state. How am I going to tell you? You tried telling me about the terrain of Saginaw County, Michigan a county which you have admitted that you have never been to so how are you going to tell me about Saginaw County? You haven't shown anything, you even tried to argue that Illinois isn't the second flattest state when indeed it's been studied that it is. And don't tell me that you've driven on a road a lot more than I have when you have no idea where I've been, when I've been there and how long I was there for. It's pretty obvious that you are on here just to argue with people that don't agree with things you say. Don't ever say you've been somewhere a lot more than I have when my travels dominate yours.

Flint1979

Quote from: Crash_It on May 18, 2022, 01:37:38 PM

It is really mindboggling that you think people actually care about your videos.

Rothman

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 19, 2022, 09:46:33 AM

It is really mindboggling that you think people actually care about your videos.
Well...given the reaction on here, that's actually quite evident.

Like I've said before, best not to view them in the first place and not engage the guy.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Flint1979

Quote from: Rothman on May 19, 2022, 10:02:41 AM

Like I've said before, best not to view them in the first place and not engage the guy.
That could be true but I  don't see it as positive reaction.

I never view his videos but engaging the guy I'm guilty of that.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on May 19, 2022, 10:02:41 AM

The entertainment value of the comments he gets regarding his videos and posts is quite high.  A quick scroll through his Facebook page in particular is a good place to look for some quick chuckles. 

Crash_It

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 19, 2022, 09:44:53 AM

I don't care where you live. I have lived in Illinois in my lifetime and know plenty about the state. How am I going to tell you? You tried telling me about the terrain of Saginaw County, Michigan a county which you have admitted that you have never been to so how are you going to tell me about Saginaw County? You haven't shown anything, you even tried to argue that Illinois isn't the second flattest state when indeed it's been studied that it is. And don't tell me that you've driven on a road a lot more than I have when you have no idea where I've been, when I've been there and how long I was there for. It's pretty obvious that you are on here just to argue with people that don't agree with things you say. Don't ever say you've been somewhere a lot more than I have when my travels dominate yours.

If you lived here or even driven any kind of length here then you would know that there are more counties that aren't flat. I would go on a limb and say that there are at least 60 counties in this state that have some kind of hilly terrain. I think I've visited about 40 of them so far and of those 40, there are maybe only 3 that I can say are flat.

Flint1979

Quote from: Crash_It on May 21, 2022, 01:24:53 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on May 19, 2022, 09:44:53 AM

If you lived here or even driven any kind of length here then you would know that there are more counties that aren't flat. I would go on a limb and say that there are at least 60 counties in this state that have some kind of hilly terrain. I think I've visited about 40 of them so far and of those 40, there are maybe only 3 that I can say are flat.
There might be some more counties that aren't as flat as I have said they are but there certainly aren't 60 of them, not even 40. Illinois barely has any difference between it's lowest elevation, highest elevation and average elevation. Flint has an elevation of 150 feet more than Saginaw does, I challenge you to find the difference in elevation along I-75. I'm not going to say that the area between Flint and Saginaw is hilly though because it's not.

Lowest elevation is 279 feet.
Highest elevation is 1,235 feet.
Average elevation is 600 feet.

So the highest point in the entire state is 635 feet above the average elevation and 956 feet above the lowest elevation. The county that the highest elevation is in though is Jo Daviess and is located very close to the Wisconsin border. Illinois most certainly is not known as a state that is hilly.

Max Rockatansky

I am highly amused that this has somehow devolved into the "Illinois is flat 2.0"  thread.

ilpt4u

There are 2 signed Runaway Truck Ramps in Randolph County in Chester. Those usually aren't signed on "flat"  land

One is on IL 3, south out of town, on the main Coal Truck route between the mine on the Randolph/Perry County Line and the River Terminal south of Chester: https://www.google.com/maps/@37.884919,-89.7858846,3a,75y,154.19h,84.68t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sc-aqBcVVgScXGxo8PFGNXA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

The other is on Randolph Street, coming down from the Mississippi River Bridge approach down to Kaskaskia Street/Truck Bypass on the banks of the river: https://www.google.com/maps/@37.9048745,-89.8329119,3a,75y,245.07h,86.22t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s9s3hsu9mSZ0J_-H_3RFWfw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Max Rockatansky

Both of those "ramps" look a little untrustworthy.  That would be a hell of a right hand turn to make that first one carrying a decent amount of speed.  The second one I can see "in theory" how the connecting road would work allow gravity to do some work (if you didn't go straight into the river anyway).

thspfc

Quote from: ilpt4u on May 22, 2022, 09:51:12 PM
There are 2 signed Runaway Truck Ramps in Randolph County in Chester. Those usually aren't signed on "flat"  land

One is on IL 3, south out of town, on the main Coal Truck route between the mine on the Randolph/Perry County Line and the River Terminal south of Chester: https://www.google.com/maps/@37.884919,-89.7858846,3a,75y,154.19h,84.68t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sc-aqBcVVgScXGxo8PFGNXA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

The other is on Randolph Street, coming down from the Mississippi River Bridge approach down to Kaskaskia Street/Truck Bypass on the banks of the river: https://www.google.com/maps/@37.9048745,-89.8329119,3a,75y,245.07h,86.22t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s9s3hsu9mSZ0J_-H_3RFWfw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Oh no, does Carhorn have a friend here?

I've seen these before. How are they supposed to do anything? The Bridge Bypass Rd one would send a runaway truck through an electrical box, up a grass embankment, over railroad tracks, and into the river. The other disaster would be even worse. An F1 car going 25 MPH couldn't make that turn. How do they expect a semi going 70 to make it?

Using these runaway truck ramps as justification for IL not being flat is about as nonsensical as anything Carhorn has posted in this thread.

Unless I just ate the sarcasm?

Flint1979

I'm lost on how these are even considered runaway truck ramps.

Crash_It

Let's add some rolling terrain in McDonough County to the equation too.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/h5CPLquCShgDHVbd6

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Crash_It on May 23, 2022, 02:37:40 PM

Let's add some rolling terrain in McDonough County to the equation too.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/h5CPLquCShgDHVbd6

But no emergency truck escape ramp?  This is straying too close to a real life version of Fury Road. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.