News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Cummings Skyway

Started by Max Rockatansky, January 17, 2022, 02:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

I stumbled upon an article regarding the Cummings Skyway in Contra Costa County in the Sep/Oct 1961 CHPW.  Turns out this was part of FAS 1256 and was envisioned as a four-lane expressway between CA 4 and I-80.  I always thought that this was a little overbuilt for a two-lane road and turns out it was supposed to have been more significant than it turns out to be:

https://www.gribblenation.org/2022/01/cummings-skyway.html

bing101

Dang I never knew Cummings skyway was originally going to be a local expressway like Vasco Rd and Richmond Parkway are and yes if that happened Contra Costa County would have been the second county in the Bay Area to have a locally maintained county expressway system after Santa Clara County.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: bing101 on January 18, 2022, 10:53:46 AM
Dang I never knew Cummings skyway was originally going to be a local expressway like Vasco Rd and Richmond Parkway are and yes if that happened Contra Costa County would have been the second county in the Bay Area to have a locally maintained county expressway system after Santa Clara County.

I would argue it is a two lane expressway as currently configured.  It isn't like you can pull into a local business or a home anywhere on it.  It definitely meets the purpose of getting vehicles from two major highways on a smooth gradient. 

jdbx

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 18, 2022, 11:05:06 AM

I would argue it is a two lane expressway as currently configured.  It isn't like you can pull into a local business or a home anywhere on it.  It definitely meets the purpose of getting vehicles from two major highways on a smooth gradient. 

Agreed.  I use this road frequently, and it is a terrific shortcut between CA-4 and the Carquinez Bridge or Crockett.  There is only one traffic light at Crockett Blvd, and it offers a climbing lane for trucks headed eastbound.  Most people move at 60-70 MPH for the entire length.

One oddity that I find to be slightly unsafe is that traffic exiting westbound I-80 does not have to stop.  I am not sure why that is the case, it's pretty rare to see a freeway offramp to a surface street with absolutely no traffic control.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.0453467,-122.2394012,3a,75y,74.31h,81.69t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEbUcaMlidkNyPndhJZjnRg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jdbx on January 18, 2022, 12:41:54 PM

Agreed.  I use this road frequently, and it is a terrific shortcut between CA-4 and the Carquinez Bridge or Crockett.  There is only one traffic light at Crockett Blvd, and it offers a climbing lane for trucks headed eastbound.  Most people move at 60-70 MPH for the entire length.

One oddity that I find to be slightly unsafe is that traffic exiting westbound I-80 does not have to stop.  I am not sure why that is the case, it's pretty rare to see a freeway offramp to a surface street with absolutely no traffic control.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.0453467,-122.2394012,3a,75y,74.31h,81.69t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEbUcaMlidkNyPndhJZjnRg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Interestingly I did capture the lack of a stop sign in my own photos. 

https://flic.kr/p/2mXBmJK

What I find odd is that traffic departing westbound I-80 is directed to take Cummings Skyway to Port Costa but isn't given any additional signage indicating how to reach it.  I-80 eastbound and Crockett Boulevard would make (for non-freight vehicles) since but my thought I-80 west would be better server exiting at Pomona Street/San Pablo Avenue in Crockett to reach Port Costa.

jdbx

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 18, 2022, 01:04:41 PM
Quote from: jdbx on January 18, 2022, 12:41:54 PM

Interestingly I did capture the lack of a stop sign in my own photos. 

https://flic.kr/p/2mXBmJK

What I find odd is that traffic departing westbound I-80 is directed to take Cummings Skyway to Port Costa but isn't given any additional signage indicating how to reach it.  I-80 eastbound and Crockett Boulevard would make (for non-freight vehicles) since but my thought I-80 west would be better server exiting at Pomona Street/San Pablo Avenue in Crockett to reach Port Costa.

Yes, using Cummings Skyway to get to Port Costa is a strange routing.  McEwen Road may be a bit easier for a truck to traverse due to fewer switchbacks, but it is still a very narrow and winding road.

Crockett Blvd has a very long grade heading down into Crockett from Cummings Skyway, so the restriction on trucks is not surprising.  There used to be a lot of truck traffic servicing the C&H refinery when they were still actually producing sugar.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.