News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Periods in abbreviations on freeway BGS's?

Started by KCRoadFan, March 19, 2022, 11:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

I just thought of this question: are there any states that still use periods in abbreviations when it comes to the signs on freeways (BGS's)? From trips out east, I remember seeing several in Indiana and Massachusetts, although I believe the newer signage omits the periods. Also, right here in KC, I've seen a couple "St. Louis" signs with the period on eastbound I-70.

Where else throughout the country have you seen periods in freeway sign abbreviations, on either new signs or previously installed ones from decades ago?

tolbs17

JoePCool14

Indiana had (still has?) a lot of BGS with periods on them. They're the state nearest to me where I've seen it the most.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Alex

From what I have seen, signs with abbreviations tend to be those replaced in kind from older sign designs. Likely it is poor or lazy management of projects and a lack of QC

There's one on I-275 north for U.S. 92 (Hillsborough Avenue) that is an older ground level assembly:

I can dig up other examples including ones that were more recent installs.

ilpt4u

Washington D.C. for I-70 East on our favorite stretch of stoplight-laden I-70 in Breezewood

Bitmapped

WVDOH used periods, although it's been getting away from this practice in the past decade or so.

ozarkman417

Quote from: ilpt4u on March 21, 2022, 08:02:30 PM
Washington D.C. for I-70 East on our favorite stretch of stoplight-laden I-70 in Breezewood
You'd think it would be older signs that have periods, but in the case of Breezewood, it's the "newer" overhead signs that have the periods, whereas the old button copy distance sign just past the community does not have any periods.

I put newer in quotes because the overhead signs are unlikely that new, but are so when compared to the aging button copy setup just after you turn off US 30.

PurdueBill

It is in the Massachusetts specs to use the period in geographic names of cities/towns (and neighborhoods) but no longer in street name abbrev.  So, on the Southeast Expressway, you will see "Southampton St", "Andrew Sq", and "Columbia Rd" with no periods on recent signs but "S. Boston" with a period on the same sign assembly.  Same on I-495 where street names have abbrev without periods for Marson St, Merrimack St, and Commonwealth Dr, but periods in "Mass. Ave" and "N. Andover" (Mass. Ave being the best because Mass. got a period but not Ave).  At first it may look weird or inconsistent but it is actually quite consistent internally.

Bruce

Vancouver BC/B.C. is a control city for I-5 north of Seattle and the use of periods is not uncommon but most drop them for "BC".

hbelkins

I've noticed that the current MUTCD language on not using punctuation marks has been applied to advisory speed warning signs, at least in Kentucky, A plethora of new signs have been installed in my area and they read NN MPH instead of NN M.P.H.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JayhawkCO

None I can think of in Colorado despite having lots of destinations that can be abbreviated (Colo Spgs, Ft Morgan, Grand Jct).

CardInLex

Quote from: hbelkins on March 29, 2022, 12:25:42 PM
I've noticed that the current MUTCD language on not using punctuation marks has been applied to advisory speed warning signs, at least in Kentucky, A plethora of new signs have been installed in my area and they read NN MPH instead of NN M.P.H.

The 2009 MUTCD actually doesn't use periods on advisory plaques. So, the new signs are correct.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.