News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Major Renumbering South of Atlanta to Get Underway Soon

Started by Henry, April 01, 2022, 10:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

Breaking news:

The two major interstates south of Atlanta will soon get new numbers, as well as their spurs. I-85 to Montgomery will be renumbered to I-75, I-75 to Miami will become I-85, and their 3di's will be renumbered accordingly (what is now I-185 to Columbus will become I-175, the current I-475 around Macon will be known as I-485, while I-175, I-275 and I-375 in the Tampa Bay Area are to be renumbered to I-185, I-285 and I-385, respectively). Also, I-675 in Atlanta and Future I-685 in Montgomery will switch cities to connect to their new parents. North of the city, both routes will remain the same. The governors of AL, FL and GA (Ivey, DeSantis and Kemp) made a joint announcement explaining the whole scheme, and they added that AASHTO wanted to straighten out its grid a bit, so their states were targeted. New signs will go up this summer, and there'll be more to follow as we get the complete details.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NWI_Irish96

Several years ago, when my kids were younger, we told them that my job got relocated to North Dakota and we were moving there. They were almost to the point of tears before we noted the date.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Flint1979

Tomahawkin

"Yeah, We're not gonna fall for the Banana in the Tailpipe"

kphoger

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 01, 2022, 10:38:23 AM
Several years ago, when my kids were younger, we told them that my job got relocated to North Dakota and we were moving there. They were almost to the point of tears before we noted the date.

Hmmm.....  Now I'm considering something like this when I get home from work today.  OTOH, I'm pretty sure my middle son would immediately start crying, as physical permanence is hugely important to him.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

jp the roadgeek

I suggested that 75/85 switch on the fictional page and got roasted, even though it fits the grid.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

US 89

All joking aside, even if I could renumber all the interstates from scratch, I'd still have 75 and 85 cross in Atlanta. Especially for the highest-priority highways like interstates, the idea should be to give a number to a route that people are going to follow, and then use the grid or whatever numbering logic to assign it. The corridors that became I-75 and I-85 were quite important even before the interstate system, as evidenced by the consistent parallel US routes. I-75 replaced US 41, and I-85 more or less replaced US 29. Back in the pre-interstate day, people would take the entirety of US 41 from, say, Tampa to Chattanooga. Nobody is going to take a hypothetical I-75 from Chattanooga to Montgomery via Atlanta.

Flint1979

webny99

I don't have an issue with two N/S interstates crossing in Atlanta, but I-85 doesn't need to be an I-X5.

When you look at how much narrower the country is in the South than the Northeast it's really pretty absurd that Georgia has three I-X5's while meanwhile, I-90 goes nearly 750 miles (!!!) from Toledo, OH to Boston without crossing an I-X5.

I-77/I-79 or I-81 would make a lot more sense as I-85 than the one we have currently.

MATraveler128

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 03, 2022, 11:39:14 AM
How is this not fictional?

It started as an April Fools joke, then took a turn to the Fictional Highways section. GDOT is not going to switch I-75 and I-85 south of Atlanta. These routes have been on their present alignments from the get go and I don’t see them changing.

Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Flint1979

Quote from: US 89 on April 03, 2022, 11:16:44 AM
All joking aside, even if I could renumber all the interstates from scratch, I'd still have 75 and 85 cross in Atlanta. Especially for the highest-priority highways like interstates, the idea should be to give a number to a route that people are going to follow, and then use the grid or whatever numbering logic to assign it. The corridors that became I-75 and I-85 were quite important even before the interstate system, as evidenced by the consistent parallel US routes. I-75 replaced US 41, and I-85 more or less replaced US 29. Back in the pre-interstate day, people would take the entirety of US 41 from, say, Tampa to Chattanooga. Nobody is going to take a hypothetical I-75 from Chattanooga to Montgomery via Atlanta.
I-75 only replaces US-41 south of Chattanooga and US-41 is actually still there on it's own route through Georgia and into Florida. It multplexes I-75 briefly north of Valdosta. North of Chattanooga though it replaces US-11 until Knoxville, US-25 until Detroit, US-27 in a few areas, US-23 between Flint and Standish, US-27 again and US-2 in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

Another thing I noticed in the OP is that north of Cincinnati he has I-71 replacing I-75 then in Flint has I-69 replacing I-75, wouldn't I-69 in Flint be replacing I-71 if I-75 north of Cincinnati was replaced with it?

I-69 and I-75 would never switch routes in Flint for one thing, doesn't make much sense for I-75 to go through Detroit then up to Flint only to go east to Port Huron. I-69 in fact is an actual bypass of Detroit.

Flint1979

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on April 03, 2022, 11:47:25 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on April 03, 2022, 11:39:14 AM
How is this not fictional?

It started as an April Fools joke, then took a turn to the Fictional Highways section. GDOT is not going to switch I-75 and I-85 south of Atlanta.
I'll go a bit further and say that I-75 isn't getting switched with any route at any point along it's 1,787 mile length. But this should now be fictional since none of this going to happen.

Flint1979

Quote from: webny99 on April 03, 2022, 11:45:57 AM
I don't have an issue with two N/S interstates crossing in Atlanta, but I-85 doesn't need to be an I-X5.

When you look at how much narrower the country is in the South than the Northeast it's really pretty absurd that Georgia has three I-X5's while meanwhile, I-90 goes nearly 750 miles (!!!) from Toledo, OH to Boston without crossing an I-X5.

I-77/I-79 or I-81 would make a lot more sense as I-85 than the one we have currently.
IMO I-85 crosses a more east to west span than north to south. Should it be an even number? I think it very easily could be even though it's runs on an angle.

Going north to south it covers about 350 miles, going east to west it covers about 530 miles.

hotdogPi

85 is much more important than 77 or 81 due to the cities it passes through. Multiples of 5 are supposed to be important, not just long. That said, 30 wouldn't have been a bad choice if the system was still in its infancy and the numbers weren't entirely determined yet.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

webny99

Quote from: 1 on April 03, 2022, 11:57:27 AM
85 is much more important than 77 or 81 due to the cities it passes through. Multiples of 5 are supposed to be important, not just long. That said, 30 wouldn't have been a bad choice if the system was still in its infancy and the numbers weren't entirely determined yet.

I-30 would make a lot more sense than the current I-30, which definitely doesn't need to be an I-X0. But then you'd have the same problem with I-20 that you have now with I-75.

Also, I disagree that I-85 is *much* more important than I-81 in particular. It might be more important than I-77 or I-79 on their own, but combing both routes (Columbia, SC to Erie, PA) would make way more sense for an I-X5 than current I-85.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on April 01, 2022, 11:48:42 AM

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 01, 2022, 10:38:23 AM

Hmmm.....  Now I'm considering something like this when I get home from work today.  OTOH, I'm pretty sure my middle son would immediately start crying, as physical permanence is hugely important to him.

I did it.  Just before dinner on Friday, I pointed to the calendar on the fridge and winked at my wife.  Shortly into the meal, I told the kids that there was something I'd like to talk to them about.  Recently, my wife and I had gone to speak with my parents privately about something, and we've been secretive with the boys about why, so I told them it had been about what I was about to say.  I explained the nature of the company I work for, how we work for a couple of MSOs in various regions, and that the company has been looking to expand into the Pensacola and Baton Rouge markets.  I said that the operations manager had asked me if I'd be interested in helping open up a new office in Pensacola and that, after some consideration, I had told him "yes".  I said that we'd be moving by the end of July.

One by one, the boys said they were not in favor of the move.  So I replied:  Well, that's good, because April Fool's.  It turns out that it was our eldest son, not our middle son, that took it the hardest.  He was breathing hard and on the brink of tears when I said April Fool's.  I let him calm down for a couple of minutes before patting him on the shoulder and apologizing for messing with him.  He was able to smile back at me, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have been just 20 seconds earlier.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

The Ghostbuster

Why hasn't this thread been locked like "I-70 (and I-170) to finally be completed in Baltimore" and    "Re: Virginia - April Fools!" have, since it is just as fictional as those threads were?

Rothman

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 04, 2022, 05:53:47 PM
Why hasn't this thread been locked like "I-70 (and I-170) to finally be completed in Baltimore" and "Re: Virginia - April Fools!" have, since it is just as fictional as those threads were?
^So much this.  One mod is sleeping on the job.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 04, 2022, 05:53:47 PM
Why hasn't this thread been locked like "I-70 (and I-170) to finally be completed in Baltimore" and    "Re: Virginia - April Fools!" have, since it is just as fictional as those threads were?

Because the mod that locked those doesn't have moderator rights in Southeast.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Henry

Besides, every regional section has its own unique moderator, so florida will have to lock it if he chooses to do so.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.