News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Veterans Memorial Pkwy transferred to INDOT, now signed as US 52/SR 38

Started by SkyPesos, April 01, 2022, 10:45:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyPesos

This is an interesting development that I found today...

Official statement from INDOT:
The City of Lafayette and INDOT have reached an agreement to swap maintenance of some roads. As part of this agreement, 6 miles of Veterans Memorial Pkwy between US 231 and SR 38 will be transferred from the city to INDOT, while 3.5 miles of Teal Rd (US 52), 2.5 miles of Sagamore Pkwy between Teal and Veterans Memorial (US 52), and 2.8 miles of SR 38 between Sagamore and Veterans Memorial will be transferred from INDOT to the city. As part of this transfer, Veterans Memorial Pkwy will be signed as US 52 west of Sagamore and SR 38 east of there. Old SR 38 will be an extension of Main St. In addition, US 52 will be cosigned with US 231 for an additional mile between SR 25/Teal and Veterans Memorial.

Currently, traffic to Purdue coming from points south, like Indianapolis, uses I-65 exit 168 to SR 38, then Veterans Memorial Pkwy and US 231 to get to campus. As Purdue is a major destination in the Lafayette area, this reroute will further emphasize this routing to Purdue, with a State Road number the entire way.

Immediately after this transfer, INDOT plans to widen Veterans Memorial Pkwy to 2 continuous lanes each way between US 231 and 9th St and between Sagamore Pkwy and Main St, in anticipation of an uptick in traffic, providing a higher quality road between I-65 to the south and Purdue.
I only pulled the important parts out, more info on INDOT's site.

74/171FAN

This one may be the most realistic April Fools Post ever if INDOT actually cared about any sort of continuity within its state highway system.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: 74/171FAN on April 01, 2022, 11:34:03 AM
This one may be the most realistic April Fools Post ever if INDOT actually cared about any sort of continuity within its state highway system.

Agreed - admittedly unfamiliar with Lafayette, but looking at the area on Google Maps that sure does look like something that would actually make sense the other 364 days of the year.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

JoePCool14

I'm not super familiar with Indy, so this one actually got me.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

SkyPesos

Quote from: 74/171FAN on April 01, 2022, 11:34:03 AM
INDOT is the state DOT where you can come up with something that's realistic and unrealistic at the same time, because of its unusual practices.

dvferyance

I-55

I was thinking too optimistically and got jerbaited. INDOT would net less miles maintained if they did this, so I wouldn't put it past them to actually do it.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.