News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Louisiana

Started by Alex, January 20, 2009, 12:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Alex

U.S. 425 is still not acknowledged on Interstate 20 guide signs at their interchange. Shielding for the route was posted on the route below however.

agentsteel53

Quote from: AARoads on September 15, 2009, 12:22:15 AM
U.S. 425 is still not acknowledged on Interstate 20 guide signs at their interchange. Shielding for the route was posted on the route below however.

that's okay, the fewer places that acknowledge the abomination that is US-425, the better.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alex

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 15, 2009, 12:26:51 AM

that's okay, the fewer places that acknowledge the abomination that is US-425, the better.

Aww, and I was gonna grab you another shield shot for the gallery!  :-D

agentsteel53

unless it is a state named cutout, we really don't need any more US-425 shield photos.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

UptownRoadGeek

Alex

Carter snapped a photo of the new Exit 60 exit and signage on Interstate 12 west.

froggie

Is it signed the same on the eastbound side?

lamsalfl

Guess what Pinnacle Pkwy is.  If you guessed a street leading to a retail development called "Pinnacle _______________" you win!

UptownRoadGeek

I was just wondering, how realistic is it to have a 6 lane I-10 from Houston to New Orleans minus the major bridge sections.

In Texas it is at least six lanes from Houston to around mile 828. The new Trinity River bridge is under construction.  From Beaumont to the Sabine River is either six lanes or in the process of being expanded. The Sabine River bridge is wide enough to be restriped for six lanes.

In Louisiana the first 44 miles is mostly six laned (the stretch from Texas to Lake Charles is beautiful).  From the Mississippi River to Siegen Ln (possibly further) is mostly six lanes or being widened.  From I-310 to I-12/I-59 is six laned.

The biggest obsticles from a feasibility stand point seem to be The Spillway, the St John canal, the Calcasieu River Bridge, and The Atchafalaya Basin.  The rest of the route is straight and flat, with consistent traffic.

froggie

You also have the segment that cuts across the corner of Lake Pontchartrain (between 55 and 310)...or is that the Spillway segment you referred to?

There's also the Mississippi River bridge (lacking shoulders) and the I-110 interchange (especially eastbound).

But aside from that, I think the biggest obstacle would be getting funding for such an endeavor.  You're looking at close to 170 miles of roadway needing widening, with about 30 miles of that being continuous viaduct (Atchafalaya Basin and Lake Pontchartrain).

BTW, when did they widen I-10 through Lake Charles?

UptownRoadGeek

Quote from: froggie on September 30, 2009, 10:04:37 PM
You also have the segment that cuts across the corner of Lake Pontchartrain (between 55 and 310)...or is that the Spillway segment you referred to?

BTW, when did they widen I-10 through Lake Charles?

Yeah, I-55 to I-310 is what I was referring to.

I-10 was widened from a little east of the Texas line to Lake Charles maybe 2 years ago.  It was widened from Lake Charles to U.S. 165 this year.

froggie

But was it widened within Lake Charles?  I don't recall there being 6 lanes on the west side of town, especially the bridge over the Calcasieu.

Or are you counting Lake Charles having both I-10 and I-210 as that area having "6 lanes"?

UptownRoadGeek

From Texas to Lake Charles you have mostly 6 lane all the way to I-210. From I-210 to U.S. 90 it's 2 lane with auxilary, then six lane from U.S. 90 to the bridge. After you cross the bridge it is 6 lanes from Ryan St? (4 through the east I-210 interchange) to U.S. 165.

UptownRoadGeek

Ramp meters coming to Baton Rouge
http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=11395082

froggie

That's interesting.  Though, knowing Louisiana drivers, they'll either be confused by them, or they'll completely ignore them.

cjk374

I hate to break the bad news, but they plastered a US 425 shield over the LA 137 shield on all of the Rayville exit signs :-/.  I noticed this 11/21/09 on a trip to Jackson.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

lamsalfl

Not sure if he is a member here, but I got a text from the road and Andy Jung is reporting that Clearview has made its way to Louisiana.  He says he saw the signs on US 90 near New Iberia.

UptownRoadGeek

Quote from: lamsalfl on November 29, 2009, 11:38:19 PM
Not sure if he is a member here, but I got a text from the road and Andy Jung is reporting that Clearview has made its way to Louisiana.  He says he saw the signs on US 90 near New Iberia.

I just hope that they can pull it off tastefully, like in the Houston area.  I think the only thing that makes it look good there is that all the signs are uniform.

UptownRoadGeek

Mile long crack in the I-10.

More Construction Coming On I-10
<object height="288" width="470"><param name="movie" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" value="http://www.wwltv.com/v/?i=78469927" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="AllowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.wwltv.com/v/?i=78469927" AllowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" height="288" wmode="transparent" width="470"></embed></object>

froggie

I see a few problems/issues:

- Looks like DOTD kept the original I-10 concrete when they widened that stretch years ago (one of the first, if not THE first, stretches to be widened between downtown and the airport).  So naturally there's going to be seams showing where the original concrete meets the widened pavement, as seen here.  Especially if there's been additional ground settling in the area.

- Stupidity with the reporter:  it doesn't take much research to discover that asphalt overlays only tend to last 7-10 years, especially with heavy traffic such as what I-10 carries there.

- A simple overlay isn't going to work.  At a minimum, DOTD needs to do a mill-and-overlay here...reconstruction or at least rehab of the original pavement underneath is probably in order too.

UptownRoadGeek

Quote from: froggie on December 05, 2009, 07:04:05 AM
I see a few problems/issues:

- Looks like DOTD kept the original I-10 concrete when they widened that stretch years ago (one of the first, if not THE first, stretches to be widened between downtown and the airport).  So naturally there's going to be seams showing where the original concrete meets the widened pavement, as seen here.  Especially if there's been additional ground settling in the area.

- Stupidity with the reporter:  it doesn't take much research to discover that asphalt overlays only tend to last 7-10 years, especially with heavy traffic such as what I-10 carries there.

- A simple overlay isn't going to work.  At a minimum, DOTD needs to do a mill-and-overlay here...reconstruction or at least rehab of the original pavement underneath is probably in order too.

I fully agree.  Even the catch basins between the interstate and sound barriers are starting to buckle in on both sides of the highway.  The down side will be 2 of 3 side by side constructions projects on at the busiest interchange in the area.

also,

DOTD celebrates grand opening of New Orleans Regional Transportation Center

The new facility has opened and all of the VMS signs along the I-10 and I-610 have been replaced with new Daktronic signs like the ones on the Northshore.  Also there are strange looking poles being installed on the I-10 spillway section (between I-310 and I-55)

UptownRoadGeek

I-12 noise barrier plans are good news for Slidell neighbors

Slidell residents had been arguing that it wasn't fair that Baton Rouge, New Orleans, & Metairie got sound walls and they didn't.  I guess they're finally getting their wish.

froggie

To be fair, has I-12 been rebuilt since most of Slidell's residential was built?  You and I both know the answer to that...

lamsalfl

Eff the Northshore.  Anyways, bad news.  Louisiana has finally replaced the sign that was blown away by Katrina on westbound I-10 at the state line.  Old sign "St. Tammany Parish"  new sign:  "St. Tammany Parish" but SMALLER.

I was hoping for a similar setup as I-10 eastbound at the Texas state line with the state and parish.  However, in true LA fashion, they have failed me.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.