News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

License Plate News

Started by Alex, February 04, 2010, 10:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CentralCAroadgeek

Quote from: kurumi on December 21, 2012, 11:58:57 AM
For California plate geeks: non-commercial auto series is going to turn over fairly soon, to 7xxxnnn. We drove a 6YNSnnn loaner car down to LA a few weeks ago. Haven't seen a 6Z yet.
6ZAU541 is the highest one I've seen (the License Plate News CA high is mine). My prediction is by at least February that we reach the 7AAA000 series.

In other news, West Virginia has started issuing their (optional) sesquicentennial plates and Indiana their bicentennial plates. Both are flat.
West Virginia:                    Indiana:

jp the roadgeek

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

kphoger

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on January 13, 2013, 12:03:08 AM
West Virginia has started issuing their (optional) sesquicentennial plates and Indiana their bicentennial plates. Both are flat.
West Virginia:                    Indiana:

I really like the West Virginia one.  It has a graphic base, but the graphics are very muted, which is what I prefer.  The letters at the beginning, though, are way too small (or maybe narrow is the right word.

BUT.  I've also noticed that a design that looks good to me on the computer screen doesn't necessarily look as good on an actual car.  Puebla (2006 era) is a perfect example of one that used to be my favorite–until I saw it on an actual car, and it looked much more plain and cheap in real life.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

agentsteel53

6ZAU541 is the highest one I've seen (the License Plate News CA high is mine). My prediction is by at least February that we reach the 7AAA000 series.

just spotted 6ZBZ007 yesterday.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

CentralCAroadgeek

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 14, 2013, 10:07:18 AM

just spotted 6ZBZ007 yesterday.

Would you mind if I post that as a high on License Plate News? (Unless you got an account of your own...)

agentsteel53

go for it.  but I don't have a photo

jake@aaroads.com

Road Hog

Arkansas isn't that far away from a 7-character plate (for the first time since 1968). They exhausted the AAA000 series in 1996 and are already in the S's on the current 000AAA series. Vanity plates are already 7 characters.

kphoger

I highly suspect Arkansas would switch formats before going to 7 digits, following Missouri's example.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

elsmere241

Quote from: kphoger on January 15, 2013, 04:12:30 PM
I highly suspect Arkansas would switch formats before going to 7 digits, following Missouri's example.

Delaware already has a letter + six digits (counting the stacked "PC" as one letter).  I don't know what they'll do when the all-number plates get to 999,999 - and I'm seeing some plates in the 990,000 range.

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: elsmere241 on January 16, 2013, 10:04:02 PM

Delaware already has a letter + six digits (counting the stacked "PC" as one letter).  I don't know what they'll do when the all-number plates get to 999,999 - and I'm seeing some plates in the 990,000 range.
Doesn't Delaware recycle numbers that have been "retired"? I have wondered how a state that hasn't had a general plate reissuance since 1942 can issue number-only plates for so long. My information comes from the license plate collector site www.15q.net. 
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

elsmere241

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on January 16, 2013, 11:20:56 PM
Quote from: elsmere241 on January 16, 2013, 10:04:02 PM

Doesn't Delaware recycle numbers that have been "retired"? I have wondered how a state that hasn't had a general plate reissuance since 1942 can issue number-only plates for so long. My information comes from the license plate collector site www.15q.net. 
Yes they do, after a number's plate has been expired for a few years.

myosh_tino

Found out through Daniel Faigin's cahighways.org site that the California DMV has launched the California Legacy License Plate program where car owners can pre-order vintage California plates (black-on-yellow, yellow-on-black and yellow-on-blue)...

From what I gather, the vintage plates are being treated as a specialty plate which means an annual fee will apply.  Vintage plates will be issued if the DMV receives at least 7,500 orders by January 1st, 2015.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

agentsteel53

Quote from: myosh_tino on January 17, 2013, 02:05:55 PM
Found out through Daniel Faigin's cahighways.org site that the California DMV has launched the California Legacy License Plate program where car owners can pre-order vintage California plates (black-on-yellow, yellow-on-black and yellow-on-blue)...

but not the classic sunset plate?  damn.

jake@aaroads.com

myosh_tino

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 17, 2013, 02:07:30 PM
As much as I liked the classic sunset plate, if I had to pay extra for a specialty plate, I would rather go with one of these...

Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 17, 2013, 02:07:30 PM

That is not an exact replica of the 1956 black on yellow plate (which, I think, was the first time in the U.S. a plate with the ABC 123 sequence was issued). That original plate had a raised black area on the upper right with the number 56 and slots for a metal renewal tab like that used on the previous edition. The first and subsequent renewal years, though, used a sticker.

Doctor Whom

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on January 17, 2013, 02:18:05 PMThat is not an exact replica of the 1956 black on yellow plate (which, I think, was the first time in the U.S. a plate with the ABC 123 sequence was issued). That original plate had a raised black area on the upper right with the number 56 and slots for a metal renewal tab like that used on the previous edition. The first and subsequent renewal years, though, used a sticker.
The linked site says that the legacy plates will not be exact replicas of the original license plates because of both modern production technology and current law on reflectorization.  It also says that the final design will differ from what is shown.  Besides, I suppose that the DMV had to make room for month and year stickers.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Doctor Whom on January 17, 2013, 05:09:52 PM
The linked site says that the legacy plates will not be exact replicas of the original license plates because of both modern production technology and current law on reflectorization.  It also says that the final design will differ from what is shown.  Besides, I suppose that the DMV had to make room for month and year stickers.

I don't remember what year the first reflective-sheeting plates came out in CA for general use*.  It may be 1984 (sunset plates, Olympics, etc) because IIRC even the blue/yellow is non-reflective.

as for the month and year stickers; I believe every plate since 1963 (black with yellow text) has room to fit the modern layout easily.

* factoid: 1956 was the first year of reflective plates in CA.  beaded Scotchlite sheeting, yellow with black text - for police cars only.

jake@aaroads.com

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 17, 2013, 06:59:42 PM
Quote from: Doctor Whom on January 17, 2013, 05:09:52 PM

I don't remember what year the first reflective-sheeting plates came out in CA for general use*.  It may be 1984 (sunset plates, Olympics, etc) because IIRC even the blue/yellow is non-reflective.

as for the month and year stickers; I believe every plate since 1963 (black with yellow text) has room to fit the modern layout easily.

* factoid: 1956 was the first year of reflective plates in CA.  beaded Scotchlite sheeting, yellow with black text - for police cars only.
Yes, the 1963 plates, which were designed to accommodate stickers instead of them being an afterthought as in 1956, had two sticker wells. Alternate year stickers were put on opposite sides until the state adopted year-around registration. I wonder how the black plate will be made retroreflective. 

agentsteel53

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on January 17, 2013, 07:12:02 PMI wonder how the black plate will be made retroreflective.

that's an interesting question from a manufacturing perspective.  the flip answer is "it won't be; black is rarely made retroreflective".  however, right now I believe plates are made with a layer of retroreflective sheeting, and the embossing is roll-coated with non-reflective ink.  this works well for positive-contrast applications like the current white plate with dark blue lettering, but it will not work for either the black/yellow or blue/yellow historic plate.

screen-printing in a way which aligns with the embossing is prohibitively expensive, so the only option I am thinking is to roll-coat the embossing with opaque paint and then a layer of reflective beading.  holy 1950s technology, Batman!

jake@aaroads.com

cpzilliacus

I like these.  Especially the yellow-on-black and yellow-on-blue.

Quote from: myosh_tino on January 17, 2013, 02:15:12 PM

I also like this one, and some of the similar California issues.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 17, 2013, 07:21:57 PM
Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on January 17, 2013, 07:12:02 PMI wonder how the black plate will be made retroreflective.

that's an interesting question from a manufacturing perspective.  the flip answer is "it won't be; black is rarely made retroreflective".  however, right now I believe plates are made with a layer of retroreflective sheeting, and the embossing is roll-coated with non-reflective ink.  this works well for positive-contrast applications like the current white plate with dark blue lettering, but it will not work for either the black/yellow or blue/yellow historic plate.

screen-printing in a way which aligns with the embossing is prohibitively expensive, so the only option I am thinking is to roll-coat the embossing with opaque paint and then a layer of reflective beading.  holy 1950s technology, Batman!

Thank you for the informed comments on this.

Does California use convict labor (like so many other states) to manufacture license plates?

If the answer is yes, then the more labor-intensive (1950s) method might not be so bad, right?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

agentsteel53

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 17, 2013, 07:33:49 PM

Does California use convict labor (like so many other states) to manufacture license plates?

If the answer is yes, then the more labor-intensive (1950s) method might not be so bad, right?

I believe they do.

now I wonder how other states have made negative-contrast retroreflective license plates.  there's gotta be an option I am failing to consider.

jake@aaroads.com

cpzilliacus

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 17, 2013, 07:34:41 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 17, 2013, 07:33:49 PM

I believe they do.

now I wonder how other states have made negative-contrast retroreflective license plates.  there's gotta be an option I am failing to consider.

Maryland (and, Virginia, I believe) have never issued a tag like that since going to retroreflective tags. 

Virginia does issue a white-on-black antique set of tags like this one (I don't think it is retroreflective):

But before retroreflecitve tags became common in the 1970's, both did. In many years, Virginia had white-on-black, and Maryland had variations, including white-on-blue (those were used in many years), yellow-on-black (like the classic California tags discussed above) and black-on-yellow.

CentralCAroadgeek

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 17, 2013, 07:34:41 PM

The only newer ones that I know of are these special Kentucky "Friends of Coal" license plates: (Image from Plateshack Y2K)

vtk

I thought "positive contrast" was light text on dark background, and "negative contrast" dark text on light background.

Anyway, I imagine a couple of ways reflective white text on a colored background, or light colored text on a black background, can be done without beads as a last step.  The first visible layer is reflective in the lighter color.  Then the whole plate is painted in the darker color (translucent if not black), then a chemical is rollcoated to remove the dark color from the embossed letters.  Or, the first visible layer is reflective in the lighter color, then a chemical mask is rollcoated on the embossed letters which prevents the darker color from adhering when it's applied to the entire plate; then the mask is washed off with another chemical. 

...I've seen almost every episode of How It's Made.  And now I'm trying to think of a way UV-hardening might be used in license plate production...
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.