News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J N Winkler

Quote from: Zeffy on January 03, 2014, 12:39:36 PMAnd then there's this sign, and out of the states I've visited, New Jersey's the only one who posts a sign like this.

It is somewhat analogous to how the Topeka city limits are treated on I-70 eastbound ("CAPITAL CITY" replaces the usual "CITY LIMIT").
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

mhh

Here's another one:

http://goo.gl/maps/rGx5A

It's a white rectangular regulatory sign, so does it mean that the presence of a blind person in the area is mandatory?  :hmmm:

PHLBOS

Quote from: NE2 on January 04, 2014, 02:56:30 AM
So it should be an M5-2 rather than an M6-2. Woo.
Actually, M5-4 would be more appropriate; especially further down NJ 29 makes more of a sharp right whereas the ramp to I-95 stays more straight.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

DSS5

Quote from: Zeffy on December 31, 2013, 01:03:56 PM
Interesting VMS in Newark, New Jersey...

To quote from the article in which I found it,
QuoteEssex County Prosecutors office display signs asking for information on the homicides of Zainee Hailey, 13, and Kasson Mormon, 15, who were shot and killed on Christmas night at 102 Schley Street in Newark. The scene on Friday, December, 27, 2013. Ed Murray/The Star-Ledger

I don't remember the intersection, but I remember seeing one in Winston-Salem asking for information about a hit-and-run that happened.

Here's a sign I've never seen anywhere else - http://goo.gl/maps/3I6XD

Big John

Zeffy

Quote from: Big John on January 07, 2014, 10:37:21 AM
^^ Cobb Co GA goes bezerk with those (5 flashers in one spot): http://goo.gl/maps/obMiD

That's overkill. 2 flashers would've sufficed, if not one.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

hotdogPi

Keep this thread going! MA 62, going west, just west of MA 28

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Scott5114

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 04, 2014, 04:55:09 PM
Quote from: Zeffy on January 03, 2014, 12:39:36 PMAnd then there's this sign, and out of the states I've visited, New Jersey's the only one who posts a sign like this.

It is somewhat analogous to how the Topeka city limits are treated on I-70 eastbound ("CAPITAL CITY" replaces the usual "CITY LIMIT").

Is that actually the city limit, though? If you continue east on I-70, there's a typical "Topeka / CITY LIMIT" sign near the bridge upstream of the I-470 ramp diverge.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 26, 2014, 02:35:48 AMIs that actually the city limit, though? If you continue east on I-70, there's a typical "Topeka / CITY LIMIT" sign near the bridge upstream of the I-470 ramp diverge.

This is not an easy question to answer.  Using Google Maps' shading distinction between incorporated and unincorporated land, the first sign (which references Topeka as "CAPITAL CITY") is located at the point where the Topeka municipal boundary first touches I-70.  (It does not appear to cross the I-70 right-of-way line, but I don't consider Google Maps reliable for such a determination.)  The boundary runs parallel to I-70 for several hundred feet before it jogs first south and then north, crossing I-70 just downstream of the Urish Road bridge.  The "CITY LIMIT" sign is in fact located just upstream of the crossing point, a siting which is probably necessitated by the bridge.

If memory serves, KDOT considers an official city limit sign to be properly located at the point where the city limit actually crosses the highway, even if the limit line has been parallel to and adjacent to the highway for a considerable distance to that point.  The "CITY LIMIT" sign in this case appears to meet this criterion.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

NE2

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 26, 2014, 10:13:36 AM
This is not an easy question to answer.  Using Google Maps' shading distinction between incorporated and unincorporated land, the first sign (which references Topeka as "CAPITAL CITY") is located at the point where the Topeka municipal boundary first touches I-70.
No need to use the Goog. http://maps.topeka.org/website/NewZoning/viewer.htm (the Goog is essentially correct; the city limits are the south ROW of I-70 and the east ROW of Urish)
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bassoon1986

I found this just off of US 165 in Monroe, LA near the ULM campus. However, it belonged to a tree cutting company by the same name repairing tornado damage at a nearby house. I thought LA DOTD had a sense of humor.

hotdogPi

Quote from: bassoon1986 on January 27, 2014, 04:36:58 PM
I found this just off of US 165 in Monroe, LA near the ULM campus. However, it belonged to a tree cutting company by the same name repairing tornado damage at a nearby house. I thought LA DOTD had a sense of humor.

Most people would think it was a typo for "caution".
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Brandon

Went down to Dallas last Tuesday for work (just for the day), and found this near my site:

Thought it was interesting due to the use of "IH" instead of "I-" or "Interstate" (yes, I know it's Texas-standard).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Zeffy

I assume the 'I H' stands for 'Interstate Highway', correct?

Also, I get a strange feeling that 'Avenue H' should be 'H Avenue', but then again, I don't know Dallas (or Texas for that matter) that well.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

sammi

Quote from: Zeffy on January 27, 2014, 07:37:37 PM
I assume the 'I H' stands for 'Interstate Highway', correct?

Also, I get a strange feeling that 'Avenue H' should be 'H Avenue', but then again, I don't know Dallas (or Texas for that matter) that well.

Interstates are IH- in Texas.

And I think Avenue H is also called Avenue H in New York.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: 1 on January 27, 2014, 04:43:05 PM
Quote from: bassoon1986 on January 27, 2014, 04:36:58 PM

Most people would think it was a typo for "caution".

No one in Louisiana would think Cajun was a typo for caution.   ;-)

vtk

I think it's in poor taste to advertise one's business name on a sign that's supposed to warn motorists of a hazard on the road.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Brandon

Quote from: vtk on January 28, 2014, 12:29:11 PM
I think it's in poor taste to advertise one's business name on a sign that's supposed to warn motorists of a hazard on the road.

Could be ethnic, as in they are tree cutters who are Cajuns.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

bassoon1986

Quote from: Brandon on January 28, 2014, 02:44:00 PM
Quote from: vtk on January 28, 2014, 12:29:11 PM

Could be ethnic, as in they are tree cutters who are Cajuns.

I'm pretty sure it was both. The truck in the yard had the same name as the sign. Didn't catch a glance of the people working, but there's a good chance they were part Cajun.

mass_citizen

this confusing as well as ugly specific service sign is courtesy of MassDOT.

http://goo.gl/maps/WE6AO

jeffandnicole

Quote from: mass_citizen on February 10, 2014, 02:45:01 AM

Note not only the white arrow next to Dunkin Donuts, but the very long black arrow that you can barely tell is an arrow on the actual DD plate as well.

mass_citizen

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 10, 2014, 10:24:48 AM
Quote from: mass_citizen on February 10, 2014, 02:45:01 AM

Note not only the white arrow next to Dunkin Donuts, but the very long black arrow that you can barely tell is an arrow on the actual DD plate as well.

wow. just noticed that. this just got even uglier.

6a

At the end of the entry road to the Ohio Reformatory for Women,

formulanone

Speeding ticket menu on Martin County Road 714 in Florida:

It's about the only time I've seen a permanent sign for this kind of thing; probably not helped by getting a spot on Car & Driver's "Ten Best Places to Speed" back in the 1990s. On the contrary, I like to slow down on this section...50 mph is the posted limit, by the way.

Big John

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.