Do you prefer driving automatics or manuals?

Started by US 41, February 11, 2019, 10:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Automatic or Manual

Automatic
Manual

TheHighwayMan3561

I've never had the chance to drive a stick, and knowing I likely never will it's no longer a concern or interest to me.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

JayhawkCO

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 13, 2024, 05:41:36 PM
I've never had the chance to drive a stick, and knowing I likely never will it's no longer a concern or interest to me.

That's kind of how I am. I know the logistics of it, just haven't ever had the need to do it myself. I suppose it's kind of like calligraphy - it'd be cool to know it, but it's not worth taking the time to learn if it's essentially irrelevant nowadays.

kphoger

Quote from: MikieTimT on March 13, 2024, 05:15:28 PM

Quote from: kphoger on March 11, 2024, 10:22:56 AM

Quote from: MikieTimT on March 10, 2024, 01:21:44 AM
Manuals are better in passing scenarios.  Very little lag in acceleration dropping from 5th directly to 3rd, which isn't possible in almost any form of automatic, paddle or otherwise.  Even in a moderately powerful car like a stock WRX, makes passing situations easy to wrap up in about 4-5 seconds in short passing zones like are common in Arkansas 2 lane highways.

he he he.

Last year, when we were on a church mission trip in Mexico, we rented a Nissan pickup (basically a Frontier) with six-speed manual.  I did all the driving during that trip, as I was familiar with the roads.  But, for the return trip, our pastor really wanted to drive the rental, so I took over from my wife in driving our personal vehicle.  As we were driving through the mountains on one of those two-lane highways where you pass right down the middle, I moved out over the centerline to pass a truck, and then Pastor moved out to follow.  In doing so, he downshifted from fifth to fourth gear for the extra oomph.  Well, that was the plan anyway:  instead, he accidentally dropped from fifth into second.  I think he said the tach needle hit seven.

Slightly higher than a WRX (non-STI) redline for sure, but I'd bet Mexican rentals with standard transmissions lead a harder life than my car.  The Nissan probably handled it fine, though.  Valves on non-performance vehicles likely don't start floating until a few hundred RPM higher than that.

Thanking back, it was probably 6.  It was a Nissan NP300, which redlines at 7.  I vaguely remember it being one number less than the redline.

As for a hard life...  Even though it was a fairly new model year, it's still a rental vehicle with a stick shift.  I found it quite easy and pleasant to drive, but I'm sure it had already seen its share of inexperienced renters.  Third gear seemed like it was halfway to needing a new synchro.  Other than that, it was in fine shape.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Ted$8roadFan

How many vehicle models still have a manual option?

kalvado

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on March 15, 2024, 05:15:31 AM
and how many are primarily CVT, meaning no manual option?

kphoger

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on March 15, 2024, 05:15:31 AM

According to Motor Trend:

Acura:  Integra
BMW:  M2, M3, M4
Cadillac:  CT4, CT5
Chevrolet:  Camaro
Ford:  Bronco, Mustang
Honda:  Civic
Hyundai:  Elantra
Jeep:  Gladiator, Wrangler
Kia:  Forte
Lotus:  Emira
Mazda:  3, Miata
Mini:  Convertible/Hardtop
Nissan:  Versa, Z
Porsche:  718, 911
Subaru:  BRZ, WRX
Toyota:  GR 86, GR Corolla, GR Supra, Tacoma
Volkswagen:  Golf, GTI, Jetta
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

Hm.  Surprising that a Versa is on there.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on March 15, 2024, 12:54:29 PM

Really?  I had been searching for a decent used car with stick shift for a while recently, and I kept seeing Versa pop up in my search results.  Stick shift is still standard with the S trim line, but CVT is an option.
Male pronouns, please.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on March 15, 2024, 01:37:47 PM

Really?  I had been searching for a decent used car with stick shift for a while recently, and I kept seeing Versa pop up in my search results.  Stick shift is still standard with the S trim line, but CVT is an option.
Not sure what the advantage would be for the widdle tin can.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on March 15, 2024, 01:54:24 PM

According to the EPA, it gets 5 mpg worse than the CVT.
Male pronouns, please.

kkt

Quote from: kphoger on March 15, 2024, 02:05:03 PM
Quote from: Rothman on March 15, 2024, 01:54:24 PM

According to the EPA, it gets 5 mpg worse than the CVT.

Yes, however it is possible to make an automatic score well on the EPA mileage test cycle with low shift points.  But the mileage test cycle for manual transmissions has prescribed RPM when the driver must shift, even if a slower shift would have been more efficient.
Manuals also give you better control, which to me is the main advantage.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.