News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Sign Collecting

Started by Max Rockatansky, July 12, 2016, 11:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrepoiy

I'd like to start collecting signs (shields especially), however I'm not sure where to purchase them. Especially Canadian shields

Max Rockatansky

I check eBay daily, sometimes I see a good price and jump on buying.  Gas and oil shows along with license plate meets are also a good source for signs.  It might be a lot of work but I've had a lot success calling scrap shops. 

JoePCool14

Quote from: andrepoiy on October 03, 2021, 11:52:09 AM
I'd like to start collecting signs (shields especially), however I'm not sure where to purchase them. Especially Canadian shields

The signs I've gotten have all come from eBay. I wish I could find other sources though, since eBay doesn't always have what a great variety or great prices.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

US71

Quote from: JoePCool14 on October 04, 2021, 11:00:02 AM
Quote from: andrepoiy on October 03, 2021, 11:52:09 AM

The signs I've gotten have all come from eBay. I wish I could find other sources though, since eBay doesn't always have what a great variety or great prices.

Junk stores are hit and miss, but sometimes have good finds.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Max Rockatansky

Picked up a CO 347 shield along with a North placard:

https://flic.kr/p/2mQT5pz

Max Rockatansky

36 incher CA 174 shield just in:

Untitled by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

Almost pointy enough to use for digging at the Empire Mine (CA 174 deep reference).

ClassicHasClass

I saw that on eBay, I think. I didn't like the look of the proportions.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on April 22, 2022, 01:00:01 PM
I saw that on eBay, I think. I didn't like the look of the proportions.

The seller sent me an offer with a substantial BIN discount.  For what it's worth 174 was a highway I really enjoyed (mostly because of the Empire Mine) and didn't think that would see another.  I barely have enough space in my garage for a 36 inch spade, the next sign will likely need to go in the back yard. 

Max Rockatansky

Current look for the garage.  The signage actually goes around the entire perimeter. 

JoePCool14

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 29, 2022, 12:03:34 AM
Current look for the garage.  The signage actually goes around the entire perimeter. 

That looks amazing. The orange CA-130 shield is probably my favorite since orange is my favorite color. :-P

I don't have anywhere near that amount of shields or signs in my collection, but this makes me want to get a proper display going soon. My plan would be to fill space up by creating assemblies with direction and arrow plaques since those are easier to come by.

Are those mostly eBay finds, from shops, or just from knowing the right people?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 29, 2022, 05:17:58 PM

That looks amazing. The orange CA-130 shield is probably my favorite since orange is my favorite color. :-P

I don't have anywhere near that amount of shields or signs in my collection, but this makes me want to get a proper display going soon. My plan would be to fill space up by creating assemblies with direction and arrow plaques since those are easier to come by.

Are those mostly eBay finds, from shops, or just from knowing the right people?

A little bit of everything over the course of about 15 years.  SB1 signage replacements put a lot of old California spaces in a scrap shop in Bakersfield.  Prior to that I had a bulk purchase of signs from an estate sale.

US71

I recently got this through Jake. Replica US 71 cutout. This style was primarily used in Texas in the 1950'ss

ClassicHasClass

QuoteA little bit of everything over the course of about 15 years.

Your garage is too clean. Fix this immediately.

(Also: jealous. I "just" have a FREEWAY ENTRANCE, an ACSC STOP, a regular STOP, a button-copy I-8, a button-copy US 101 and a couple reproduction signs up in my garage, though there are others waiting to find a place and several others in the house. You can see a few here: http://www.floodgap.com/software/huepl/ )

Max Rockatansky

^^^

Out of curiosity do you know what National Forest that Forest Route 30 shield came from?

ClassicHasClass

No idea, chance find. It's wooden, though, not sheet metal (seems appropriate for a forest).

US71

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on April 30, 2022, 03:16:25 PM

Your garage is too clean. Fix this immediately.

I freaked out my neighbors with all my signs. They helped set up  th e washer & dryer and saw all my signs. They were half freaked out/half "oh cool".

cjk374

At least you have a garage.  :-D My collection sits in 2 groups in my laundry room.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

US71

Quote from: cjk374 on May 07, 2022, 06:54:16 PM

At least you have a garage.  :-D My collection sits in 2 groups in my laundry room.

Some of mine are in the bedroom, some are in the living room.  I have 4 or 5 still hiding in storage. . ;)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cjk374 on May 07, 2022, 06:54:16 PM

I have a ton out in the back yard also.  My wife's only two stipulations was that none of it was visible from the from the front yard or the the living spaces of the house.

LilianaUwU

My signs are either in my hometown at my sister's house (most of them, actually) or in my room where I live.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Max Rockatansky

Picked up a CA 243 shield.  It's a newer shield but the Banning-Idyllwild Panoramic Highway is worth celebrating in my garage:

https://flic.kr/p/2nmhWBb

LilianaUwU

I took pictures of what I brought back from my hometown:

Two ARRÊT signs rescued on Chemin de la Pointe-des-Canots:

Arrêt signs from Pointe-des-Canots by Liliana Vess, on Flickr

A strange sign telling snowmobiles to slow down. I believe I acquired that sign at the snowmobile club in 2018:

Lentement sign for snowmobiles by Liliana Vess, on Flickr

An odd speed limit sign, likely an old FCMQ (provincial snowmobile club association) standard. This one I definitely acquired at the snowmobile club in 2018:

Pour ta sécurité, 60 km/h by Liliana Vess, on Flickr

Also, a street blade for Chemin Lapierre, though this one has been with me since I moved back to Québec City:

Chemin Lapierre street blade by Liliana Vess, on Flickr
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

ClassicHasClass

Just picked up an Australian National Route 32 shield (Mitchell and Barrier Hwys). This makes my wife happy because in Dubbo NSW her old apartment and her parents' house are just a stone's throw from the highway on Cobra St. Now that NSW has replaced everything with alphanumerics it's a real treat to have in the collection (along with an NR 1, an NH 87 and a TD 1).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.