News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Your Favorite Forum Quotes

Started by CoreySamson, July 05, 2021, 09:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkt

Marin Avenue in Berkeley is claimed to be the steepest street in the San Francisco Bay Area, at 25% for several blocks.

https://john-s-allen.com/galleries/berkeley/slides/00Marin%20Ave.html

I've driven it both up and down as well as being a passenger when I was a kid.  Calls for care and good control of the clutch - partly because as it's not in the mountains there's also other traffic, pedestrians, and cross streets to keep in mind.  There have been a fair number of accidents there too.  (It can't really be that bad, can it?  Let's see.  CRASH.)

SkyPesos

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 26, 2022, 12:50:57 PM
24% descent grades are for pussies:

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on November 26, 2022, 12:48:04 PM
Of course I do LOL

But 24% isn't that bad. Some of my I-9/I-11/New Pennsylvania Turnpike plans would involve slightly steeper grades to maintain a straight line through the mountains.
Illinois can dream to have even a small fraction of that.  :-D

SkyPesos

Anyways, another MMM PA turnpike post
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on November 26, 2022, 01:25:28 PM
Well one benefit of being in a relationship is that the girl can help balance out the weight distribution in the car when taking on one of those sharp Pennsylvania Turnpike curves to the right.

thspfc

Quote from: SkyPesos on November 26, 2022, 10:51:41 PM
Anyways, another MMM PA turnpike post
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on November 26, 2022, 01:25:28 PM
Well one benefit of being in a relationship is that the girl can help balance out the weight distribution in the car when taking on one of those sharp Pennsylvania Turnpike curves to the right.
Has to be Carhorn's alt.

JoePCool14

I get that MMM's posts are... MMM posts, but maybe we should try not to turn this thread completely into an extension of his Fictional thread.  ;-)

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: JoePCool14 on November 27, 2022, 02:50:18 PM
I get that MMM's posts are... MMM posts, but maybe we should try not to turn this thread completely into an extension of his Fictional thread.  ;-)

The man does have some quotable nuggets.  Truly we have our next Carhorn type legend in the making.

Rothman

^This.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Flint1979

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 27, 2022, 02:51:28 PM

The man does have some quotable nuggets.  Truly we have our next Carhorn type legend in the making.
And I see Carhorn posted for the first time in over a month today.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Flint1979 on November 27, 2022, 05:50:39 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 27, 2022, 02:51:28 PM

And I see Carhorn posted for the first time in over a month today.

kirbykart

Here's a good one from my Avenue of the Breadsticks thread:
Quote from: skluth on November 19, 2022, 07:25:26 PM
Breadsticks are planted in the median and harvested when ripe to be distributed to all the Olive Gardens along the route. Restoring the breadstick to its native prairie environment has been ongoing since the late 70s and it's hoped that soon the wild breadstick will once again be seen across the Midwest from Montana to the Appalachians.

skluth

Quote from: Rothman on November 27, 2022, 04:54:33 PM
^This.

It's not easy when you get gems like this
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on October 28, 2022, 09:23:18 PM
Fritzowl is right about these things.
and later in the same paragraph
Interstates are what routes aspire to be.

It's like being a junkie. You want to quit but it's just too hard.

jlam

Another MDM gem:

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 05, 2022, 12:38:15 PM
Maybe I could be promoted to a moderator and help decide these things? I think I could be a very fair and impartial judge on which threads need locking or not?

Rothman

Quote from: jlam on December 06, 2022, 10:17:47 AM
Another MDM gem:

Maybe I could be promoted to a moderator and help decide these things? I think I could be a very fair and impartial judge on which threads need locking or not?
My word.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kkt

Another MDM gem:

(facepalm)

People who ASK to be a moderator just about never should be allowed to do so.

hbelkins

Quote from: kkt on December 06, 2022, 03:28:40 PM
Another MDM gem:

(facepalm)

So THAT's why I've never been picked?

Seriously, I've volunteered several times. I'd think my participation in the interest since the early days of MTR and my journalism/PR background would make me a logical candidate, but I know it's not going to happen because of the existing team's personal feelings about me and many of the prevailing opinions on free speech vs. my opinion on the subject.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: hbelkins on December 07, 2022, 02:33:02 PM
Quote from: kkt on December 06, 2022, 03:28:40 PM
Another MDM gem:

(facepalm)

So THAT's why I've never been picked?

Seriously, I've volunteered several times. I'd think my participation in the interest since the early days of MTR and my journalism/PR background would make me a logical candidate, but I know it's not going to happen because of the existing team's personal feelings about me and many of the prevailing opinions on free speech vs. my opinion on the subject.
We have very different political views but I think that you would be a great pick for a moderator. I would support you in a bid to become a mod because I like when mods are a bit more hands off.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

... because of the existing team's personal feelings about me and many of the prevailing opinions on free speech ...

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 07, 2022, 03:12:58 PM
We have very different political views but I think that you would be a great pick for a moderator.

It isn't just politics, I think.  It's that he's very vocal about wanting zero content moderation on forums.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on December 07, 2022, 05:37:24 PM
... because of the existing team's personal feelings about me and many of the prevailing opinions on free speech ...

We have very different political views but I think that you would be a great pick for a moderator.

It isn't just politics, I think.  It's that he's very vocal about wanting zero content moderation on forums.

It has always sounded to me, based upon his personal opinions of the matter, that if H.B. had moderation rights, he would do the same amount of moderation that he does now.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

LilianaUwU

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Scott5114

Quote from: bessertc on December 12, 2022, 03:39:48 AM
I've never been a huge fan of living in suburban "Goddamn Rapids" to be honest and I was born and lived the first five years of my life two houses off "Goddamn River Ave" in downtown Howell. "Gd" can't go away fast enough, IMHO.

Flint1979

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 12, 2022, 04:36:39 AM
I've never been a huge fan of living in suburban "Goddamn Rapids" to be honest and I was born and lived the first five years of my life two houses off "Goddamn River Ave" in downtown Howell. "Gd" can't go away fast enough, IMHO.
What the actual hell? I've never heard Grand Rapids referred to that way.

Rothman

Quote from: Flint1979 on December 12, 2022, 01:47:36 PM
"Gd Rapids"?  I have.

Flint1979

Quote from: Rothman on December 12, 2022, 02:02:25 PM
"Gd Rapids"?  I have.
So have I. I was referring to what he was saying GD stands for. There is nothing wrong with using Gd for the word Grand.

Scott5114

Quote from: Flint1979 on December 12, 2022, 02:35:59 PM
"Gd Rapids"?  I have.
So have I. I was referring to what he was saying GD stands for. There is nothing wrong with using Gd for the word Grand.

I trimmed the quote for comedic effect, but earlier in the post he does say that his brain expands "Gd" to "Goddamn" rather than "Grand". (Which, I think is a fair misinterpretation. I tend to expand it to "Good" myself, but I've only spent a few days in Michigan.)

Flint1979

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 12, 2022, 07:10:58 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on December 12, 2022, 02:35:59 PM
"Gd Rapids"?  I have.

I trimmed the quote for comedic effect, but earlier in the post he does say that his brain expands "Gd" to "Goddamn" rather than "Grand". (Which, I think is a fair misinterpretation. I tend to expand it to "Good" myself, but I've only spent a few days in Michigan.)
I've always automatically knew it meant Grand. Heck they have Mackinac Br as a control city on US-127 and I-75 and when they use the word downtown they capitalize every letter so it says DOWNTOWN.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.