News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Sheetz

Started by Scott5114, August 07, 2010, 12:08:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Sheetz.

So what is the big deal, anyway?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Ian

Sheetz? I went there once, it wasn't too bad, but not the best. I still root for Wawa here in Philly :P
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

agentsteel53

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 07, 2010, 12:08:05 AM
Sheetz.

you can order food electronically directly at the pump, while the gasoline is flowing.  It is charged directly to your card, along with the gas. Walk in, grab food, walk out, on your way.  It's extraordinarily efficient.  And their hot dogs are awesome.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Mr_Northside

I'd say mostly the quality of their food.  I'll take an MTO (and some "Fryz") over Subway any day of the week.  Or really any fast food place. (I'd def. go out of my way to get to a Sheetz instead of, say, McDonald's.)
And often times, their gas prices can't be beat (though a lot of the time they'll be "tied")

Quoteyou can order food electronically directly at the pump

Only at the newer ones.  There's quite a few where you can't order @ the pump.
But even when you have to order inside, they still have a pretty efficient system going.

I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

yanksfan6129

Quote from: PennDOTFan on August 07, 2010, 12:36:03 AM
Sheetz? I went there once, it wasn't too bad, but not the best. I still root for Wawa here in Philly :P

Wawa is no longer going to be a Philly area/south Jersey thing...northern New Jersey is going to get one in November! Right near my house! I'm excited!

Before I knew for sure that it was a Wawa coming in, I suspected so because of the distinct slanted canopy for the gas station part.

Ian

Quote from: yanksfan6129 on August 07, 2010, 12:36:23 PM
Quote from: PennDOTFan on August 07, 2010, 12:36:03 AM
Wawa is no longer going to be a Philly area/south Jersey thing...northern New Jersey is going to get one in November! Right near my house! I'm excited!

Heh, congratulations! I remember seeing signs on I-95 for a Wawa all the way down in Richmond, VA. I never knew they went that far south!
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Mr. Matté

I think there were a lot of Wawas in North Jersey (at least Middlesex/Union Counties) but some I've seen turned into "Pantry 1" (they kept the old-style building so it was obvious what they were previously), here's an example in Clark, NJ.

NJRoadfan

Quote from: Mr. Matté on August 07, 2010, 01:01:50 PM
I think there were a lot of Wawas in North Jersey (at least Middlesex/Union Counties) but some I've seen turned into "Pantry 1" (they kept the old-style building so it was obvious what they were previously), here's an example in Clark, NJ.

There is also a former Wawa (now Pantry 1) in Middlesex Boro at the corner of Lincoln Ave. and Raritan Ave. Its good to hear they are heading north, 7-Eleven and Quikcheck simply aren't the same.

As for Sheetz.... some of their stations take cash at the pump now, which is nifty.

PAHighways

Their MTOs are much better than Subway, not only in taste but in value.  Aside from being able to order food from the pumps, you can also buy a car wash (at ones with those facilities).

I doubt Wawa will ever make it this far west in PA, but GetGo is beginning to build locations like the mega-Sheetz complete with GetGo Kitckens.

Michael in Philly

Quote from: Mr. Matté on August 07, 2010, 01:01:50 PM

There was a Wawa two blocks from my grandmother's house on Staten Island 20 years ago.  Where in North Jersey are they coming to?  And is there really one in Clark?  (I grew up in Scotch Plains, parents still live there.)  Haven't come across any north of Branchburg and Rocky Hill in recent years.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: PennDOTFan on August 07, 2010, 12:41:10 PM
Heh, congratulations! I remember seeing signs on I-95 for a Wawa all the way down in Richmond, VA. I never knew they went that far south!

We have a ton of Wawas here in Hampton Roads. I stop at the one on US 17 at I-64 in Newport News regularly.

Never been to a Sheetz though, and I'd never even heard of one until this forum.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

SP Cook

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 07, 2010, 12:08:05 AM
Sheetz.

It is as simple as rather than trying to smoke out the very last dollar with minimum effort, as most businesses do, doing a good job for the customer.  In every aspect of what it does, Sheetz simply tries harder to help me, the customer.   Reasonable, by conv store standards, prices.  Great food.  Smart (because they pay well above the minimum wage) clerks.  Good selections.  Clean stores and restrooms.  Well stocked selections of needed items.  Friendly staffs.  Simply doing right, rather than what the conv. store business now is, and the fast food business is fast becoming, which is a minimum effort operation.

Michael in Philly

Do they charge for ice?  Wawa doesn't.  Charging for ice is lame.

(I'm being flippant.  I like Sheetz when I'm in their territory, but the nearest one is 50 miles away.  I really don't remember whether they charge for ice.  And charging for ice really is lame.)
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

froggie

QuoteWawa is no longer going to be a Philly area/south Jersey thing

They haven't for awhile.  There's some Wawa's in Prince William County, plus a couple near Waldorf, MD, and several down in Hampton Roads that DTP already mentioned.

The one in Dale City usually has the cheapest gas in the Dale City/Woodbridge area.  Only about a mile off I-95 too.  I often stop there when I head southwest.

QuoteNever been to a Sheetz though, and I'd never even heard of one until this forum.

Not surprising when the nearest one to Hampton Roads is in the Petersburg area.

signalman

I was first introduced to Sheetz by an ex girlfriend who was originally from the Lancaster, PA area.  When we'd go back to her "home" to visit her mom, several trips to Sheetz were in order.  Their MTO's were second to none and I seem to remember their gas prices being good for the area.  It's been years since I've been to one though...about 8-9 years.  This new ordering food at the pump sounds intriguing though.  Almost makes me want to take a road trip to a Sheetz to give it a shot.

PAHighways

Quote from: Michael in Philly on August 08, 2010, 09:52:57 AMDo they charge for ice?  Wawa doesn't.  Charging for ice is lame.

I believe they do.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: SP Cook on August 08, 2010, 09:42:58 AM
Clean stores and restrooms. 

Though sometimes they forget to restock the towel dispensers.  You can ask [Steeler's kicker] Jeff Reed about that.

Concerning the ice, are we talking about bags of ice, or just a cup of ice??? 

They also offer free "air".  Most other places I've ever been (not that I need to inflate the tires that often) charge at least a quarter.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

algorerhythms

Quote from: Mr_Northside on August 08, 2010, 08:34:27 PM
Quote from: SP Cook on August 08, 2010, 09:42:58 AM
Clean stores and restrooms. 

They also offer free "air".  Most other places I've ever been (not that I need to inflate the tires that often) charge at least a quarter.
The 7-11 just down the street from here offers free air. On the other hand I'd never eat food from the 7-11, but Sheetz' subs are awesome.

shoptb1

MTO.  No competition.  I wish we had Sheetz in Columbus...always a treat when traveling to PA, MD, or WV.

Michael in Philly

Quote from: PAHighways on August 08, 2010, 08:01:31 PM
Quote from: Michael in Philly on August 08, 2010, 09:52:57 AMDo they charge for ice?  Wawa doesn't.  Charging for ice is lame.

I believe they do.

I was at a Sheetz near York earlier this evening.  I was not charged for a cup of ice (with a food-and-canned-drink purchase).
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

WillWeaverRVA

Sheetz doesn't charge for ice here either. I used to like Wawa, but Sheetz has better value and convenience going for it, and I personally don't think Wawa's coffee lives up to the hype it gets.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

PAHighways

Quote from: Michael in Philly on August 08, 2010, 11:31:32 PMI was at a Sheetz near York earlier this evening.  I was not charged for a cup of ice (with a food-and-canned-drink purchase).

I thought we were talking about the bagged stuff.  I wouldn't know about cups of ice as if I am buying a drink at Sheetz, it's a bottled one that has been chilling in the cooler.

Michael in Philly

I'm addicted to ice for my drinks.  I'd pick up a bottled iced tea and a (full) cup of ice to pour it over.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

mightyace

Everyone has mentioned the quality of the MTO foods and value.

But, just as, if not more important, is that the whole menu is available 24x7.  If you get up late and want a quick, cheap breakfast as 11:30am, you can get it.  Or, you can get anything at 2am as well.

Their reach is expanding.  Besides the I-81 corridor in Virginia, my brother and I saw a few in North Carolina on I-40 just west of I-77.  In Ohio, Akron/Cleveland is about as far as I've seen them.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Roadgeek Adam

SHEETZ! </me>

Had to do that. I was the first in my family to eat there. The one on US 11 in Clarks Summit and I introduced to my family to it. Now, almost every time we see one, we stop there. The food's good, I love the design of the place and how well put together people and the prices are. Are we going to get one in Jersey? Probably not. But we'll see.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.