News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Naming Rights to Subway Stations??

Started by Michael in Philly, September 08, 2010, 11:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael in Philly

Just went to a Phillies game.  The station of the Broad Street Subway serving the sports complex - which was called Pattison (because it's at Pattison Avenue) from time immemorial until at least mid-August - is now called At&T Station.  I don't care how much money SEPTA got for this (and you'd have to deduct the cost of updating all those maps); I do not approve.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

kj3400

Neither do I. It's one thing to name the stadium after your company. Another thing to name a road. But don't start messing with the mass transit. If they ever rename Hamburg St. on Baltimore's light rail line M&T Bank Station, there's going to be hell to pay.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

Alps

The problem isn't the naming rights to me, it's the fact that you lose a clue as to where the station is.  The "AT&T Pattison Station" is alright by me if it gets SEPTA some needed money, because transit needs money all the time.  Also beats naming stations after politicians.  Just "AT&T Station," though, helps no one.

D-Dey65

Quote from: kj3400 on September 08, 2010, 11:29:18 PM
Neither do I. It's one thing to name the stadium after your company. Another thing to name a road. But don't start messing with the mass transit. If they ever rename Hamburg St. on Baltimore's light rail line M&T Bank Station, there's going to be hell to pay.
I'm not entirley sure I like the idea of naming roads after companies. I certainly agree with you about railroad stations though, which is why I'm actually glad that both the LIRR station and the IRT Flushing Line station were renamed "Mets-Willets Point Station" if they were going to be renamed anything.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.