When Your Travel Direction Differs from Route Direction

Started by AlexandriaVA, November 25, 2016, 02:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexandriaVA

For example, you are on Route 123 Northbound, but the actual direction of your vehicle is southbound. Not counting roundabouts/loops/helixes/etc

I-395 has this phenomenon between Washington Boulevard (VA-27) and Jefferson Davis Highway (US-1)....people on 395 northbound briefly go east-southeast, and people on 395 southbound briefly swing east-northwest.

hotdogPi

It's not that rare.

US 101's northern end
MA 127's northern end
MA 28's southern end
US 1 in Maine, many times
I-93 near I-91 in Vermont (also happens once in New Hampshire)
MA 145
Happens twice on RI 102
US 3 when overlapped with I-95
MA 27 in Sharon, MA
MA 97 in eastern Haverhill, MA
I-89 in Lebanon, NH and two places in Vermont
I-95 slightly "south" of Bangor Maine
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

steviep24

NY 96 is signed North/South but has a long section in Ontario County that's mainly East/West.

jeffandnicole

Other examples:

I-95 near PHL
I-95 thru Baltimore
I-295 numerous times between Wilmington and Trenton

epzik8

To add to jeffandnicole's post, I-95 is without a doubt an east-west highway most of the way between Baltimore and Wilmington, Delaware.

There's also I-83 in the vicinity of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania; specifically, between the York Split and the Eisenhower Interchange.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

CNGL-Leudimin

I-25 'North' of Santa Fe.
Westbound US 60 just after overlapping itself in Newport News VA.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

sparker

Besides the Washington "upside-down-U" section on the Olympic Peninsula, US 101 is, obviously, E-W from North Hollywood to Gaviota, a distance of some 105 miles.   Prior to 1964, US 99 did a virtual mirror-image of this east of downtown L.A. out to Indio (about 120 miles), coincident with US 70 and sometimes US 60  -- one of the more egregious & awkward routings that prompted the '64 renumbering effort.

formulanone

GenExpwy

I think it's a more interesting challenge to find the stricter cases where the actual direction is completely the opposite of the sign – where "Route 00 North"  is going 100% due south (or beyond), not just kinda east-south-east-ish.

I've found 4½ examples among 2-digit Interstates, not counting TOTSO cloverleafs and such:

• I-95 Northbound, approaching the George Washington Bridge, is briefly due south (& vice versa) in Fort Lee NJ.
  • I-40 in the Great Smoky Mountains of NC goes in the opposite direction in a couple of places.
  • I-64 ends up going in the opposite direction where it curves around at its end in Chesapeake VA.
  • I-15 northeast of Butte MT, has a tiny opposite-direction section between Basin and Boulder.
  • I-84 Eastbound only, east of Pendelton OR, in the section where the carriageways take completely different paths, goes due west within an S-curve. I-84 Westbound does not have a matching curve.

I-89 at Royalton VT and I-25 just outside Santa Fe NM (Arroyo Hondo Rd bridge) come close, but don't quite meet this stricter definition.

Inyomono395

US 6 in california is marked as East-West but in reality it's North-South

StogieGuy7

I-94 through Illinois is marked east-west, but is actually north-south with very little east-west component.  Taking I-94 "west" to Milwaukee, a city that is NNE of where I am, is an interesting stretch. Even if I understand why it's marked that way, it can be challenging to explain it to a newcomer to the area.

Also, I-95 through Connecticut is almost entirely east-west, despite being marked north-south. 

Bickendan

TEG24601

Quote from: 1 on November 25, 2016, 02:36:40 PM
US 101's northern end

This one is a bit different, as WSDOT actually re-signs 101 when it turns E/W into E/W, then when it turns back N/S they re-sign it N/S.  So the Northern Terminus of US 101 is signed "South".

WA SR-20 is backwards across the Ebey Prairie National Preserve, and North of NAS Whidbey Island.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

jwolfer

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on November 26, 2016, 12:49:04 PM
I-94 through Illinois is marked east-west, but is actually north-south with very little east-west component.  Taking I-94 "west" to Milwaukee, a city that is NNE of where I am, is an interesting stretch. Even if I understand why it's marked that way, it can be challenging to explain it to a newcomer to the area.

Also, I-95 through Connecticut is almost entirely east-west, despite being marked north-south.

Like i4 through Orlando area.. It NS from downtown through Seminole County

LGMS428

hbelkins

Just about any road that climbs a mountain via switchbacks, or follows the twists and turns of a stream.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

fillup420

US 421 from Greensboro, NC to west of Boone, NC is signed north-south but runs due east-west for about 120 miles.

iPhone

Eth

US 278 performs a full 360 over the course of a half-mile around the East Lake MARTA station on the Atlanta/Decatur border, all on surface streets.

Since the Peshtigo, WI, bypass was completed circa 2008, there has been a brief section where northbound US 41 actually goes southeast, and southbound goes northwest.

Northbound US 151 in Madison also has a brief SE curve as it goes through town.
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

Thunderbyrd316

The one that annoys me most, even more than I-82 (which at least is nearly as much east-west as it is north-south) is SR 16. SR 16 is CLEARLY a north-south route between Tacoma and Gorst yet it has an even number and is posted east-west.

In my opinion this should not only be an odd numbered route posted as north-south but really the whole freeway corridor from Tacoma to Poulsbo should have a single number. One possible solution would be to swap the number 16 with the southern part of the 3 between Gorst and Shelton. Another possibility would be to create a new single north-south number for a route that included the 16, the freeway portion (and north to the 104) of the 3 and the 104 to the 101.

Another possibility, with some VERY expensive upgrades, would be to make the freeway portion of the route Interstate 505. Just my 2 cents.

coatimundi

The western portion of US 54 is mostly a north-south road. Until fairly recently, it was signed north/south in El Paso. Several remnants of this still exist: https://www.google.com/maps/@31.8511454,-106.4404222,3a,75y,50.02h,85.13t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sT8nFBHiLyWpu8-AERDQnzQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Then, in the Bay Area, there's the famous I-238, which is signed north/south but only runs east/west.

roadman

I-93 between Canton (MA) and Braintree (MA).  The route is signed as north/south, while the physical roadway is east/west.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jwolfer

Florida SR105 northeast of downtown Jacksonville known as Zoo Parkway and Heckscher Dr.. Is signed as NS but is really EW in the part that is signed..there are parts along the river wher its signed North when you are going SE because of the river. That has bothered me for years

105 officially multiplexes with A1A into Fernandina Beach and is NS from St Johns River ferry but it is not signed.  Florida generally has even EW and odd NS but they do signed 109 as EW where it is EW in Jacksonville and SR421 in Port Orange is signed EW..

SR 105 should be changed.

LGMS428

Rothman

Quote from: Eth on November 27, 2016, 09:01:05 AM
US 278 performs a full 360 over the course of a half-mile around the East Lake MARTA station on the Atlanta/Decatur border, all on surface streets.

Heh.  Might as well include the pigtail bridges in the Black Hills, then, or the I-495 helix leading into the Lincoln Tunnel.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bzakharin

I-76 through Philly is North-South instead of West-East and has multiple places where it's NE-SW

roadman

MA 111 is a north/south route, but runs east/west between Acton and Harvard.  In the MassDPW days, District 3 actually signed the Acton to Harvard section as east/west.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.