AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: "Phantom exit numbers" on Google Maps  (Read 735 times)

KCRoadFan

• Enthusiastic fan of roads, sports, and waterparks.

• Last Login: Today at 12:05:21 AM
"Phantom exit numbers" on Google Maps
« on: December 26, 2023, 11:31:03 PM »

Earlier this evening when I drove up US 71 on my way back home to Kansas City from Bridal Cave at the Lake of the Ozarks, I thought about something I remember having seen on Google Maps: namely, at some point after I-49 was designated along the US 71 freeway in Missouri south of the Grandview Triangle (the I-435/I-470 interchange), Google Maps also labeled the exits along the stretch in KC north of the Triangle (Bruce R. Watkins Drive) as if they continued the I-49 exit numbers, even though they aren't actually numbered in real life.

That made me wonder: throughout the country, are there any freeways, or sections of freeways, that are labeled on Google Maps as though the exits were numbered, even though the exit numbers aren't posted on the actual signs? I'm sure there's at least a handful of those "phantom exit numbers" on Google Maps.

michravera

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:31:22 PM
Re: "Phantom exit numbers" on Google Maps
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2023, 01:46:34 AM »

Earlier this evening when I drove up US 71 on my way back home to Kansas City from Bridal Cave at the Lake of the Ozarks, I thought about something I remember having seen on Google Maps: namely, at some point after I-49 was designated along the US 71 freeway in Missouri south of the Grandview Triangle (the I-435/I-470 interchange), Google Maps also labeled the exits along the stretch in KC north of the Triangle (Bruce R. Watkins Drive) as if they continued the I-49 exit numbers, even though they aren't actually numbered in real life.

That made me wonder: throughout the country, are there any freeways, or sections of freeways, that are labeled on Google Maps as though the exits were numbered, even though the exit numbers aren't posted on the actual signs? I'm sure there's at least a handful of those "phantom exit numbers" on Google Maps.

This may be common in California. CalTrans has designated every CASR- US- and I- freeway exit in the state, but not all of the are posted, and, it may be that contracts to do so haven't even been let.

roadfro

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 07:21:57 PM
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2023, 04:19:42 PM »

Google Maps shows the exit on US 95 at Mercury northwest of Indian Springs, NV as exit 136.  This exit number is not signed in the field, as it’s a single interchange along divided highway to the south, with the highway transitioning to two-lane just to the north. I think the number is correct based on historical statewide mileage of US 95, but as far as I’m aware this number does not appear on any NDOT documentation.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

rickmastfan67

• The Invisible One

• I want I-67 in PA!!!!

• Last Login: March 16, 2024, 01:05:30 AM
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2023, 09:47:27 PM »

I've seen Google Maps sometimes confuse the speed limit on one of the yellow Advisory signs as an exit number.

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:52:41 PM
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2023, 11:00:46 PM »

For a while, in GPS mode in Google Maps, it would show Exit 60 on I-295 North in NJ as Route 60 instead (the routes are NJ 29 & I-295).

epzik8

• Clincher of roadways

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:46:29 PM
    • The Epzik8 Webpage
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2023, 08:34:13 PM »

There was a "Shopping Center" exit along I-80 in Tannersville, Pennsylvania at one point. It may have been the 611/33 interchange.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

fwydriver405

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:48:14 PM
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2024, 12:38:27 PM »

Not really a "phantom exit number", but more of an "erroneous exit number". The HOV left exit to Logan Airport and South Station (which is now open to all vehicles) on I-93 North in Boston after Exit 16 (Old Exit 20) is erroneously labelled as Exit 17 or 20 on Google Maps (may have to zoom in to see both erroneous numbers), even though that exit has never received a number prior to the numbering, nor has it been assigned one once the mile based exit numbers were in place.

However, on Google Maps:
  • I noticed that the former HOV left exit NB to the airport and South Station after new exit 16 (old exit 20) is labelled as "exit 17". The last time I checked, there was no mention of that exit ever receiving a number at all.
The left HOV/South Station exit on I-93 north has never had an exit number, nor will it receive one under this project.  Google is in error here.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 12:40:36 PM by fwydriver405 »

mgk920

• Last Login: Today at 01:09:45 AM
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2024, 01:31:40 PM »

Copyright traps?

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.