DFW Projects Thread

Started by austrini, July 06, 2009, 04:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

The PGBT East Extension opens tomorrow:

The North Texas Tollway Authority plans to open the President George Bush Turnpike Eastern Extension in the late afternoon of Wednesday, Dec. 21, weather permitting. The Eastern Extension will allow motorists to drive the highly anticipated route that extends the PGBT from northwest Garland to Interstate 30.

http://www.ntta.org/NR/rdonlyres/6FF980C7-CF71-4EBF-9F64-A3B96322852E/0/20111220_PGBTEEOpening.pdf < PDF

Greybear

Quote from: Chris on December 09, 2011, 02:58:17 PM
Has anyone heard of an opening date for the eastern extension of the President George Bush Turnpike? The NTTA website says "Mid-December".

http://www.ntta.org/AboutUs/Projects/PGBTEast

The Eastern Extention of the PGB Turnpike from Texas 78 to I-30 officially opens December 21, according to local news reports.

txstateends

I looked on the news last night, only KTVT/11 had video, part of it live in a car or live truck--they were driving over the Lake Ray Hubbard bridge.  Nobody yet has archived video, 2 stations have brief articles, and the NTTA has a construction slideshow.

KDFW/4: http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/Bush-Turnpike-Extension-Opens-122111
(has aerial pic of Bush Turnpike/I-30 interchange)

KXAS/5: http://www.nbcdfw.com/traffic/transit/East-Expansion-of-Bush-Tollway-Opens-136066953.html
(has ground-level construction pic between Lake Ray Hubbard and I-30)

NTTA slideshow: http://www.ntta.org/AboutUs/Projects/ProjectSlideshow?proj=PGBT?timed=true
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Brian556

Construction progress on new FM 720 Lewisville Lake Bridge in Little Elm.

Chris

I-35W north of Forth Worth. It will be widened from 4 to 16 lanes max (excluding frontage facilities). I don't think I've ever seen a widening as massive as this one.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Chris on January 25, 2012, 04:59:37 PM
I-35W north of Forth Worth. It will be widened from 4 to 16 lanes max (excluding frontage facilities). I don't think I've ever seen a widening as massive as this one.

The closest widening I knew who came close to I-35W might be Hwy-401 at Mississauga, west of Toronto. However Hwy-401 don't have frontage/service roads. https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?action=post;quote=77161;topic=808.75;num_replies=90;sesc=9b55e95b6877590c10151b191a91474c

rantanamo

these are just as big and under construction now

North Tarrant Express

DFW Connector

LBJ Express(Widening and Double decking)

bassoon1986

35W  needs extra lanes badly. Going south into FW it's 2 lanes until just before downtown and it backs up frequently. Lots of old roadway too

Brian556

US 75 widening in McKinney starting...
http://www.dot.state.tx.us/news/local_news/dallas_news/011-2012.htm

Photo Date 1.15.11 NB US 75 in McKinney. This is the section that is going to be improved.

rantanamo

It has always surprised me that this segment wasn't widened years ago.

brownpelican

Wait until they start widening I-75 in Cobb County, Ga. - up to 24 lanes.

rte66man

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on January 25, 2012, 06:37:28 PM

The closest widening I knew who came close to I-35W might be Hwy-401 at Mississauga, west of Toronto. However Hwy-401 don't have frontage/service roads. https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?action=post;quote=77161;topic=808.75;num_replies=90;sesc=9b55e95b6877590c10151b191a91474c

How soon they forget....

I-10 Katy Freeway widening from 10 lanes (including frontage roads) to 24+ lanes.

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

rantanamo

I am curious.  I hear this 24 lane stat many times.  I've driven I-10 from downtown out to Grand Parkway many times and don't understand the number.  There are some wide portions where interchanges exist, but I've never seen a consistent 24 lanes.

Chris

The Katy Freeway has mainly 14 lanes, 10 general purpose and 4 managed lanes. Only some interchange approaches have more lanes, and if you include frontage roads, you apparently get 24 lanes.

Frontage roads don't count as freeway lanes in my opinion. I prefer the number of through lanes.

blawp

Agreed. To include frontage roads as main lanes is really silly. I might as well include Burbank and Ventura Boulevards in the lane calculations for US 101.

J N Winkler

I think the 24-lane claim for the Katy Freeway developed by accident, as a result of TxDOT's state highway logging system.  In general, TxDOT considers a state highway designation along a freeway to include both the freeway mainlanes (which are the only part of the facility actually having freeway characteristics) and the frontage roads.  TxDOT's logging system allows state highway lanes to be tagged separately according to whether they are mainlanes, ramps, or frontage road lanes, but TxDOT will typically cite the total lane count for the entire state highway (including frontage roads) in publicity.  The twenty-plus lane claim (I seem to remember also hearing "26 lanes" in relation to the Katy Freeway) surfaced late in the environmental process, when the schematic had been agreed but before detailed construction plans were available.  The early press reporting would have set this figure in concrete via Google, since the top hit for any search on {Katy Freeway lane count} or similar would have returned the round number and not the breakdown into ramps, frontage road lanes, etc.

I am quite sure that TxDOT never meant to inflate the claim to imply that the frontage roads had full control of access like the freeway itself, but on the other hand they would have had little incentive to prune the frontage roads out of the lane count since the Katy Freeway reconstruction program did, in fact, include comprehensive reconstruction and widening of the frontage roads.

The only exception to this general rule for logging TxDOT freeways is when the freeway and the frontage roads have separate state highway designations.  In this case the logging system will treat the freeway mainlanes as a freeway without frontage roads while the frontage roads will be treated as one or more conventional state highways.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

rantanamo

I was going to ask the very thing you posted.  Was thinking of President George Bush Turnpike and how the frontage roads have constantly been a part of that project, and even served as the main lanes through Garland, Richardson and Plano for a while.  Would certainly in a sense make sense to add those lanes as they were a major part of the same project.  Same with Central Expressway through Dallas Proper.  The Frontage Roads even cantilever over the expressway lanes at times and even share in the aesthetic and have extensive ramps and flyovers at times.

Brian556

Work on the SH 114/ SH 170 interchange is coming along nicely.

Work is also underway on SH 114 between I-35W and FM 156

bassoon1986

I don't know if it's been mentioned but one of the flyovers at the funnel in Grapevine is finished. The exit for NB TX 121 and 635 while going eastbound on 114 approaching the airport is finished and it looks nice!

rte66man

Quote from: Brian556 on April 27, 2012, 05:08:46 PM
Work on the SH 114/ SH 170 interchange is coming along nicely.

Work is also underway on SH 114 between I-35W and FM 156

Are they working on the piece between 35W and 170?  Also, are they planning on widening 114 all the way to 81 at Rhome?

rte66man

-Yogi Berra

Brian556

No work is being done from I-35W to the Louis St overpass in Roanoke. Wise County has already finished their part. There is no work being done from FM 156 to the Denton/Wise County Line.

Brian556

rte66man

Quote from: Brian556 on April 30, 2012, 05:06:33 PM
No work is being done from I-35W to the Louis St overpass in Roanoke. Wise County has already finished their part. There is no work being done from FM 156 to the Denton/Wise County Line.

Did the Speedway owners contribute $$$ to the widening?  HAHAHAHAHAH

rte66man

-Yogi Berra

austrini

The new Woodall Rodgers Extension is open. It doesnt go anywhere, but its nice to look at.

AICP (2012), GISP (2020) | Formerly TX, now UK

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.