News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

No Ketchup

Started by US71, July 18, 2018, 09:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qguy

Not putting ketchup on hot dogs I can understand, but do Chicagoans really not put ketchup on hamburgers?

inkyatari

Quote from: qguy on July 20, 2018, 12:06:27 PM
Not putting ketchup on hot dogs I can understand, but do Chicagoans really not put ketchup on hamburgers?

I've never heard that.  I do.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

MNHighwayMan

I love ketchup on my hot dogs.

dcharlie

Sorry all, but I love a Chicago style Hot Dog WITH Ketchup...  Please don't kick me out of the forum!   :-/

SSOWorld

Quote from: hbelkins on July 20, 2018, 11:40:57 AM
I do not care for ketchup as a solo condiment on anything. I don't like catsup, either.

But I also do not like all those toppings (pickle, relish, onions, poppyseed bun, etc.) that go onto a Chicago-style dog.

I will eat ketchup with mustard on a burger. On a dog, it's mustard only. I will also eat mustard only on a burger. But I do not want any of that stuff on a ham sandwich, bologna sandwich, or any other lunchmeat sandwich.

And mayo is Satan's semen. Gag.

Next thing you know, they'll be posting signs about pizza crust styles.
catsup is ketchup in the US.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Flint1979

I think it's a sin to put ketchup on a coney dog too and I've seen people put ketchup on a Flint style coney but never have I seen it done on a Detroit style coney.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: dcharlie on July 20, 2018, 01:53:41 PM
Sorry all, but I love a Chicago style Hot Dog WITH Ketchup...  Please don't kick me out of the forum!   :-/

Don't worry about that.  But they might kick you out of Chicago, though.   :-D  :D  :)
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

skluth

I personally l prefer ketchup and onions on my hot dogs. Don't like it? Nobody's forcing you to eat it.
:bigass:

1995hoo

I don't generally use ketchup on anything, though I may use it in a recipe if needed. But I couldn't care less what anyone else does. President Trump famously orders his steak well-done with ketchup. I think both are foul (I like mine medium-rare), but if he's paying and he likes it that way, why shouldn't he be allowed to have what he wants? I find this whole Chicago attitude baffling. You don't like ketchup on your hot dog, don't put it on your damn hot dog, but what skin is it off your nose if someone else does otherwise? (I prefer mustard, and only mustard, no other condiment, on a hot dog, but I hate that disgusting bright-yellow "ballpark mustard."  Give me spicy deli mustard like Boar's Head.)

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 20, 2018, 05:00:34 PM
I think it's a sin to put ketchup on a coney dog too and I've seen people put ketchup on a Flint style coney but never have I seen it done on a Detroit style coney.

WTH is a "coney" ? I understand that term to refer to rabbits (such as the way Samwise uses the word in "The Two Towers" ), but that's clearly not what you mean. Is it some strange western reference to Coney Island?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

slorydn1

"Thou shalt not place Ketchup (or Catsup, or Cat Soup) on your hot dogs."-11th commandment.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

hotdogPi

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 20, 2018, 05:32:10 PM

WTH is a "coney" ? I understand that term to refer to rabbits (such as the way Samwise uses the word in "The Two Towers" ), but that's clearly not what you mean. Is it some strange western reference to Coney Island?

A Coney Island hot dog is a specific type of hot dog; despite the name, they are the dominant type of hot dog in some places nowhere near Coney Island, one of which is Detroit.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

abefroman329

I put ketchup on my hot dogs all the time. Especially cheese dogs. I don't see what the fuss is about.

And those VMS messages aren't clever, they're stupid. There was one that said something like "get home to your bae safely, don't text and drive."  Fuck off, IDOT.

abefroman329

Quote from: qguy on July 20, 2018, 12:06:27 PM

The "no ketchup"  rule only applies to hot dogs. Although I've been violating it for 39 years and counting.

abefroman329

President Trump famously orders his steak well-done with ketchup. I think both are foul (I like mine medium-rare), but if he's paying and he likes it that way, why shouldn't he be allowed to have what he wants?

As detailed by Anthony Bourdain in Kitchen Confidential, if you order a well-done steak, they'll use the steak that was going to go bad in the next 5 minutes (or the steak that went bad 5 minutes ago), because you won't be able to tell the difference. So, at minimum, you're not getting the most bang for your buck by ordering it well done.

jon daly

Quote from: 1 on July 20, 2018, 05:44:49 PM

A Coney Island hot dog is a specific type of hot dog; despite the name, they are the dominant type of hot dog in some places nowhere near Coney Island, one of which is Detroit.

RI has something similar called a hot weiner or NY System weiner made of pork, veal, and beef. I only tried it once, but I'm not a fan.

SSOWorld

Considering that the Ketchup rule has kind-of derailed the topic in sorts to a non-roads format, this will be moved to Off-topic.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Flint1979

I don't generally use ketchup on anything, though I may use it in a recipe if needed. But I couldn't care less what anyone else does. President Trump famously orders his steak well-done with ketchup. I think both are foul (I like mine medium-rare), but if he's paying and he likes it that way, why shouldn't he be allowed to have what he wants? I find this whole Chicago attitude baffling. You don't like ketchup on your hot dog, don't put it on your damn hot dog, but what skin is it off your nose if someone else does otherwise? (I prefer mustard, and only mustard, no other condiment, on a hot dog, but I hate that disgusting bright-yellow "ballpark mustard."  Give me spicy deli mustard like Boar's Head.)

A coney is a hot dog with chili (no beans), mustard and onion Detroit style it's popular all over Detroit with a coney island restaurant on just about every corner in the Metro Detroit area. Lafayette and American sit side by side downtown and are iconic landmarks in the city like Pat's and Geno's in Philly but they are known for coneys in Detroit. Flint is basically a mini Detroit about 65 miles away and they have different type of coney, the coney sauce is a more dry meatier type of sauce and like Detroit gets mustard and onion on it but the sauce isn't a chili like Detroit's. I prefer the Flint style basically because I live closer to Flint than I do Detroit and I like the sauce better. The water crisis in Flint hasn't bothered Abbott's Meat or Koegel Meats, Abbott's mass produces the coney sauce and Koegel's makes the hot dogs, both are iconic to Flint and have been in business for over 100 years.

ce929wax

I'm not a big fan of ketchup, but I do like it on my hot dog.  I'm also with HB, that I don't like onion, anything pickle, or tomato on my sandwiches.

My favorite condiment is ranch dressing.  I don't like mustard unless it is in something and I love mayo, especially Hellmann's.

Flint1979

Quote from: 1 on July 20, 2018, 05:44:49 PM

It's basically a Chili dog with mustard and onion I guess is the best way to describe it. It depends on where you are on the type of coney you'll get most every coney island in Flint does it Flint style and all in Detroit do it Detroit style I haven't seen a Flint style in Detroit but I'm sure there might be one somewhere. Totally impossible to count the number of places that serve coneys in this area.

cjk374

Chili ain't chili without beans! I like coneys despite the missing beans. Ketchup is fine on a hot dog, but I don't put them together very often.

If Chicago's hatred for ketchup is all they have to be proud of, then they are in trouble.

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Rothman

Cincinnati chili on a dog? :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

US71

Quote from: cjk374 on July 20, 2018, 10:22:14 PM
Chili ain't chili without beans! I like coneys despite the missing beans. Ketchup is fine on a hot dog, but I don't put them together very often.

If Chicago's hatred for ketchup is all they have to be proud of, then they are in trouble.

Well, there's the Sears Willis Tower and John Hancock Center 857 N Michigan Building. ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on July 20, 2018, 11:11:21 PM
Cincinnati chili on a dog? :D

Pretty much. Both Gold Star and Skyline have cheese coneys on their menus, although the hot dogs are smaller than the normal wiener.

Part of my issue with onions is that I'm borderline allergic to them. Not only do they cause me a lot of gastrointestinal distress, but they give me a headache as well.

And I really don't care what the food snobs say, I want my meat well-done. I will accept medium-well, but want no part of raw or undercooked steaks.

I think the whole "no ketchup" thing is similar to the same argument you'll get from Chicagoland about pizza. To the denizens of that area, there's only one way to make pizza, and it's the deep dish stuff that New Yorkers and Jerseyites ridicule with great disdain.

And of course I know that ketchup and catsup are the same thing, I was just being tongue-in-cheek. When I was growing up, the preferred spelling was catsup and that's the way you saw it on bottles of the tomato-saucy condiment. I'm not really sure when ketchup took over, and I don't know if anyone sells it as catsup these days anyway. I'd be interested to research when the popular spelling changed. And since I found my AP stylebook when I recently relocated to a new office, I might have to look it up in that reference manual. (The book's eight years old and I know a lot has changed with AP style, but I doubt catsup/ketchup has changed in that time frame.)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Quote from: abefroman329 on July 20, 2018, 08:32:02 PM
President Trump famously orders his steak well-done with ketchup. I think both are foul (I like mine medium-rare), but if he's paying and he likes it that way, why shouldn't he be allowed to have what he wants?

As detailed by Anthony Bourdain in Kitchen Confidential, if you order a well-done steak, they'll use the steak that was going to go bad in the next 5 minutes (or the steak that went bad 5 minutes ago), because you won't be able to tell the difference. So, at minimum, you're not getting the most bang for your buck by ordering it well done.

I've heard that sort of thing as well, but who cares? If he's paying for his own steak, he can get what he wants.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

abefroman329

Quote from: cjk374 on July 20, 2018, 10:22:14 PM
Chili ain't chili without beans!

Or hunks of meat. Cincinnati-style chili sucks.

I never thought I'd miss any of the food in DC, but I really miss Hard Times Cafe.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.