News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Salutations from Kentucky

Started by TR69, July 10, 2016, 09:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TR69

Hello everyone! I recently finished going through all 185 pages of the Worst Road Signs thread, and have followed aaroads on FB for a while now, and have decided to join aaroads.com.

I've loved road signs for many years but figured I was the only one with such an unusual interest, so I kept it to myself. Thanks to the Internet, I've learned that there are others out there who have similar interests! I also love maps (spent many hours of my youth drawing my own maps, and also re-creating existing maps).

I am big into old highways -- especially cut-offs and abandoned sections (was a member of the Lincoln Highway Association for several years when I lived in Indiana, just a few blocks away from the grand old road). If the current name of a road starts with "Old...", I'm on it.

I was born and raised in central Illinois, but have also lived in Kansas, Missouri, Indiana, and now Louisville, Kentucky. Kentucky is a good place for a road sign enthusiast since they number so many of their state roads, even the 4di's. Also, Louisville has some interesting road issues, such as the closing of the I-265 loop (more or less -- it still won't go all the way around the city even when the new Ohio River bridge is completed), and having consecutively numbered loop interstates (I-264 and I-265), plus other quirks as well.

I admit I don't know much of the technicalities of road construction or design (recently had to learn what a "parclo" interchange was), but I enjoy learning the terms.

I *loved* Kurumi's road sign designer and am really bummed that I can't get it to work on my computer anymore. I like to design, or re-design, real-life signs and assemblies.

Anyway, I'm happy to be here and I look forward to exploring the boards more.

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

7/8

Welcome from Ontario :)

Quote from: TR69 on July 10, 2016, 09:44:15 PM
I've loved road signs for many years but figured I was the only one with such an unusual interest, so I kept it to myself. Thanks to the Internet, I've learned that there are others out there who have similar interests! I also love maps (spent many hours of my youth drawing my own maps, and also re-creating existing maps).

Same! I loved drawing road maps as a kid, but I was always embarrassed to show anyone outside my family because I thought it was weird. But it's perfectly normal here :D

noelbotevera

!ainavlysnneP morf emocleW

I had to be different at some point.

alecscradle

Welcome from Ohio.  I was just in Louisville a few months ago.  It's a lovely place to be.

jbnati27

Welcome from up the river in greater Cincinnati!

I'll have to confess I've spent countless hours with Kurumi's Signmaker at one time myself!

hbelkins

Quote from: alecscradle on July 11, 2016, 10:18:47 AM
Welcome from Ohio.  I was just in Louisville a few months ago.  It's a lovely place to be.

I hate Louisville, for a variety of reasons, but I won't hold that against the OP.  :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TR69

Quote from: hbelkins on July 11, 2016, 12:51:24 PM

I hate Louisville, for a variety of reasons, but I won't hold that against the OP.  :-D

That's OK!

I've enjoyed your KY work over the years, BTW, especially your road sign photos.

SignGeek101

Welcome from comfortable Winnipeg!

As you can tell from my name, I'm into signs. But one thing about this place is that everyone's interests revolve around roads to some effect.

freebrickproductions

Welcome from Huntsville, AL! I'm interested in road signs and abandoned highways as well.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

DanTheMan414

Greetings from just down the road from you, at least for tonight!  (I am staying in Shepherdsville, en route back to southeastern Michigan tomorrow.)  Welcome to the forum!

hbelkins

Quote from: DanTheMan414 on July 14, 2016, 08:34:30 PM
Greetings from just down the road from you, at least for tonight!  (I am staying in Shepherdsville, en route back to southeastern Michigan tomorrow.)  Welcome to the forum!

Where both of my dad's brothers and their wives live, as well as two of my first cousins.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

seicer

Former Kentucky resident, now of Ohio, saying hello to fellow folks down south!

Avalanchez71

The US highways and the former alignments are also an interest of mine.

pianocello

Welcome from the Midwest! Eight months out of the year, I live just a few blocks from the Lincoln Highway as well.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

amroad17

Welcome from a member from Northern Kentucky!
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

JMoses24

Welcome from another member of the Cincinnati contingent! Formerly from KY myself, moved to the Ohio side of the river 2/13/16.

roadman65

Welcome aboard!  Live in Orlando and been a member for years now.  Enjoy here!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.