Charlotte

Started by wriddle082, October 15, 2015, 05:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wriddle082

There is no Charlotte thread.  So let's have one!

Often times at work, I leave a browser tab open to Google Maps, and I notice that I-77 southbound is often backed up from Mooresville to Huntersville during weekday AFTERNOON rush hour.  This is essentially going towards the city.  The northbound crawl away from the city in the afternoons seems to thin out a little once you're past Cornelius, but the southbound backup baffles me a bit.  Does Mooresville really have a sizable enough job base to justify this apparent reverse commuting pattern?  I know Lowe's Home Improvement is headquartered there, but I wouldn't think that would be enough.

OracleUsr

Traffic at the lake is hell during the week.  My wife has some business in Charlotte and what is usually about 45-50 mins from Statesville stretches into an hour to an hour and a half.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Third Strike

Probably has a lot to do with the fact that I-77 is only two lanes on each side until it reaches I-485. Not to mention the interstate and intrastate commuters coming from Virginia and points north, along with I-40. Similar situation with I-77 in south Charlotte heading north. It is almost always backed up.

The Ghostbuster

I heard somewhere that HOT Lanes were coming to the Charlotte Area. Is this still the case, or did I mishear about that?

brownpelican

You are correct. HOT lanes are coming to 77 north of Charlotte, I believe.

Henry

Quote from: Third Strike on October 16, 2015, 05:34:22 PM
Probably has a lot to do with the fact that I-77 is only two lanes on each side until it reaches I-485. Not to mention the interstate and intrastate commuters coming from Virginia and points north, along with I-40. Similar situation with I-77 in south Charlotte heading north. It is almost always backed up.
Probably because it is closer to the center city than I-85 is.

Quote from: brownpelican on October 16, 2015, 06:59:12 PM
And if a widening should occur south of there, they should build HOT lanes on that stretch as well.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

WashuOtaku

Quote from: Henry on October 20, 2015, 12:36:23 PM
Quote from: brownpelican on October 16, 2015, 06:59:12 PM
And if a widening should occur south of there, they should build HOT lanes on that stretch as well.

That is actually planned.

Mileage Mike

The planned rebuilding of I-77 from Uptown to the SC state line will be the single largest and most complicated project ever undertaken by the NCDOT. All bridges will have to be torn down and replaced along with a large amount of commercial property purchased. Right now they're talking about 2 additional toll lanes added on each side bringing the total highway to 10 lanes with construction starting in 2024. Possible costs might exceed $1B.

http://www.heraldonline.com/news/local/article12316673.html

brownpelican

Good to see that 77 in Charlotte will match 77 in York County.

CanesFan27

As they say, "Charlotte's got a lot".

Henry

Quote from: Cemajr on October 21, 2015, 10:19:57 PM
The planned rebuilding of I-77 from Uptown to the SC state line will be the single largest and most complicated project ever undertaken by the NCDOT. All bridges will have to be torn down and replaced along with a large amount of commercial property purchased. Right now they're talking about 2 additional toll lanes added on each side bringing the total highway to 10 lanes with construction starting in 2024. Possible costs might exceed $1B.
There they go, pissing off Atlanta again! Copycatting the Downtown Connector is a sure way to do that to their archrival. (But wait a minute, there aren't any toll lanes on I-75/I-85 yet, are there?)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Third Strike

Does anybody know if the Tyvola interchange will have to be rebuilt? To my understanding, the interchange was updated to a single-point urban interchange back in the early 2000s. I use to pass by it everyday, and I'm wondering if it is possible to squeeze in two more lanes on each sides.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Third Strike on October 22, 2015, 10:30:00 PM

Does anybody know if the Tyvola interchange will have to be rebuilt? To my understanding, the interchange was updated to a single-point urban interchange back in the early 2000s. I use to pass by it everyday, and I'm wondering if it is possible to squeeze in two more lanes on each sides.

They can easily squeeze in 1 more lane on each side for sure.  2 might be pushing it since I bet they want a 'buffer' between the toll and normal lanes.  Might have to shrink all the lanes a foot to pull it off, especially on the SB side.

https://goo.gl/maps/EN8Sgse7eeL2

Henry

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 23, 2015, 03:16:04 AM
Quote from: Third Strike on October 22, 2015, 10:30:00 PM

They can easily squeeze in 1 more lane on each side for sure.  2 might be pushing it since I bet they want a 'buffer' between the toll and normal lanes.  Might have to shrink all the lanes a foot to pull it off, especially on the SB side.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle the interchange in the widening project. Rebuilding it twice within a span of 20 years makes absolutely no sense.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 23, 2015, 03:16:04 AM

I doubt the FHWA would grant a waiver to that.  The documentation on NCDOT website calls for one toll lane each direction, if curious.

Mileage Mike

They'll probably have to tear down that Tyvola interchange. There's virtually no room in the median to expand and it doesn't look like two more can fit on the outside of the current lanes.

Mileage Mike

Third Strike

Does anybody know when the Idlewild interchange on Independence Blvd is going to reopen? Seems like they've been working on it forever, and the eastbound ramp still isn't finished. Not to mention work on the Sharon Amity interchange has finally resumed after almost a year. Is this project still slated to be completed by the end of 2016?

Zzonkmiles

I believe one of the bridges that would be impacted by any I-77 widening is a railroad bridge near Tyvola Road. I have no clue how THAT would work.

Third Strike

Every single overpass will have to be torn down for I-77. The only way the Tyvola interchange would survive is if they only decide to add just two lanes to the project. As it stands, the NCDOT wants to add four, two on each side, and very likely auxiliary lanes as well. I believe this project will be one of the most expensive projects ever taken on by the NCDOT. The road essentially has to be rebuilt, along with ROW acquisition. I'm also wondering if the toll lanes will link with certain interchanges, like the I-485 one.

brownpelican

A judge has ruled to continue with the Widen 77's lawsuit against the construction of toll lanes on I-77 in northern Mecklenburg County. The group wanted the proceedings delayed until "the political process" is worked out.

Construction is continuing despite the legal and political arguments.

The Ghostbuster

Does anyone think the lawsuit will eventually stop the lanes from being completed?

Mileage Mike

Maybe they should put I-73/74 on indefinite hold until they can figure out how to divert those funds to constructing free lanes along I-77.  After all, one of those projects is far more important than the other.

CanesFan27

Quote from: Cemajr on January 11, 2016, 02:49:17 AM
Maybe they should put I-73/74 on indefinite hold until they can figure out how to divert those funds to constructing free lanes along I-77.  After all, one of those projects is far more important than the other.

Well if you want to do that - then widening 95 to six lanes should be first

froggie

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.