News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

YouTube Series

Started by TheArkansasRoadgeek, December 29, 2017, 09:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adventurernumber1

I watch a lot of roadgeek YouTube channels (with the ones I watch the most being BigRigTravels, CrossCountryRoads, and Freewayjim), and road videos take up a pretty good percentage of what I watch on YouTube.

But aside from that, I watch a lot of things on YouTube that have to do with Social Studies (Geography, History, Current Events, etc.), Gaming, and videos that just make you die laughing, mostly regarding the "dumbest people on the internet."

Regarding 1), I watch a lot of Wendover Productions, Geography Now, RealLifeLore, AlternateHistoryHub, and more.

Regarding 2), I watch a lot of stuff, but mostly PeanutButterGamer, Chadtronic (heavily based on both gaming AND reaction videos to some pretty funny stuff), and Nathaniel Bandy.

Regarding 3), I watch just about anything regarding the dumbest people on the internet, but what I watch the most is probably the Dumbest Tweets series by MostAmazingTop10. That stuff is just hilarious. You see stuff posted on the internet with people holding huge brown rats thinking it was a cat, people saying stuff like "told me cousin he got me pregnant as an April fools joke, he was scared af," "yay, the test came back positive so I don't have HIV," "somebody told me there was 50 states in America, nope dumbass, cause the scientists found out Pluto doesn't exist so there's 49," and more. There's also other funny stuff I watch like DangMattSmith's "Funniest Test Answers" series. All that stuff is comedy gold.  :-D  :-D  :-D

If anybody wants a high-quality example of a video showcasing dumb people on the internet, here is one (skip to 1:00 for the rat):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=30s&v=J9rCm_FP6XI

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :banghead:  :banghead:  :pan:

Also, I too, absolutely love and watch the new, rising channel Company Man. He makes excellent videos on companies and business and the sort. His channel is actually and has been growing at an incredibly fast rate, and he definitely makes high-quality material. I watch his channel all the time as well.

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

inkyatari

I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

CNGL-Leudimin

I'm now waiting for the 2018 season of the Appalachian Trail hikers. They should be starting by mid-February. I follow a few of them on their way North from Springer Mountain in Georgia, and I usually go with the faster, eventually arriving at Mount Katahdin in Maine by early August.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

briantroutman

I haven't used YouTube to watch any roadgeek videos...well, excepting old FHWA and state DOT videos that occasionally get posted (if we consider those "roadgeek videos" ).

Out of curiosity, I took a quick look at FreewayJim's channel, and his videos all appear to be through-the-windshield footage of driving on highways. Is that the extent of it? OK...I'll give him some credit: the footage looks to be well-shot, and he puts some effort into adding graphic overlays.

But is that what passes for a good roadgeek channel? If so, I don't get the attraction. Flying down freeways at Munster speed so that everything's a blur–except for a horizon that slowly creeps toward you–doesn't make for rewarding viewing, in my opinion. Nor does it scratch any of my roadgeek itches.

What would make a good roadgeek channel? Really, all good video is about storytelling.

If you had a historical focus, you'd dig through old maps and aerial photography, old photos, newspaper articles...whatever you can find. Then you'd add footage you've shot of the location in question, tell the story visually, and write a narrative that ties all of the pieces together. Imagine something like one of Adam Prince's blog entries, but expressed through photos, maps, video, and narration instead of text.

Or if your focus was more regional and current, you'd take photos and video of a local road under construction, interview a representative of the state DOT, add relevant images from project plans and maps, and tie it together with a narrative that brings viewers up-to-date on what's happening.

Along these lines–but in the realm of electronics, not roads–the best YouTube channel I've found is Techmoan. This unassuming guy in the UK will get his hands on some unusual orphaned gadget from decades ago, give the backstory on what was going on in the electronics world when it was conceived, document his struggles to get it working properly, show how it works, then wrap it up with an assessment of the gadget's place in history. He obviously writes out the narrative carefully for each episode (with good measure of sardonic humor included), but it never comes off sounding stilted or staged. Production values are very good, almost TV-like, but actually within the grasp of a savvy person with a basic minimum of equipment.

mrsman

Quote from: briantroutman on January 03, 2018, 10:32:35 PM
I haven't used YouTube to watch any roadgeek videos...well, excepting old FHWA and state DOT videos that occasionally get posted (if we consider those "roadgeek videos" ).

Out of curiosity, I took a quick look at FreewayJim's channel, and his videos all appear to be through-the-windshield footage of driving on highways. Is that the extent of it? OK...I'll give him some credit: the footage looks to be well-shot, and he puts some effort into adding graphic overlays.

But is that what passes for a good roadgeek channel? If so, I don't get the attraction. Flying down freeways at Munster speed so that everything's a blur–except for a horizon that slowly creeps toward you–doesn't make for rewarding viewing, in my opinion. Nor does it scratch any of my roadgeek itches.

What would make a good roadgeek channel? Really, all good video is about storytelling.

If you had a historical focus, you'd dig through old maps and aerial photography, old photos, newspaper articles...whatever you can find. Then you'd add footage you've shot of the location in question, tell the story visually, and write a narrative that ties all of the pieces together. Imagine something like one of Adam Prince's blog entries, but expressed through photos, maps, video, and narration instead of text.

Or if your focus was more regional and current, you'd take photos and video of a local road under construction, interview a representative of the state DOT, add relevant images from project plans and maps, and tie it together with a narrative that brings viewers up-to-date on what's happening.

Along these lines–but in the realm of electronics, not roads–the best YouTube channel I've found is Techmoan. This unassuming guy in the UK will get his hands on some unusual orphaned gadget from decades ago, give the backstory on what was going on in the electronics world when it was conceived, document his struggles to get it working properly, show how it works, then wrap it up with an assessment of the gadget's place in history. He obviously writes out the narrative carefully for each episode (with good measure of sardonic humor included), but it never comes off sounding stilted or staged. Production values are very good, almost TV-like, but actually within the grasp of a savvy person with a basic minimum of equipment.

Compared to CalRog, FwyJim is Academy Award winning.

inkyatari

Quote from: briantroutman on January 03, 2018, 10:32:35 PM
Flying down freeways at Munster speed so that everything's a blur–except for a horizon that slowly creeps toward you–doesn't make for rewarding viewing, in my opinion. Nor does it scratch any of my roadgeek itches.

Perhaps, but I know that when I get on a stationary bike, I like to put those kind of videos on and pretend I'm riding my bicycle somewhere...

TheArkansasRoadgeek

This is an interesting look into the lives of the men who controlled the Titian II missiles in Arkansas.

A PBS documentary:

Command and Control
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

freebrickproductions

Quote from: inkyatari on January 03, 2018, 12:53:26 PM
Bright Sun Films - Abandoned
Same here!

Don't really watch any other YouTube series except for Dan Bell's Dead Mall Series (and his "Another Dirty Room" series back when he still posted those on YouTube prior to the Adpocalypse) and a few online reviewers. Most of what I watch though tends to be train, railroad crossing, or tornado siren videos, a good 99% of which couldn't really be considered a series.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

MNHighwayMan

Pecos Hank, a storm chaser, nature photographer, and musician. His storm chasing videos are incredible.

ElectroBOOM, an Iranian-born electrical engineer who builds stuff. A little technical, sometimes, but the knowledge isn't needed to enjoy his content.

Finally, Doug Polk's poker channel. Probably a little specialized here, but if you enjoy poker and understand the basics, his hand breakdowns are fantastic.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

I enjoy some Practical Engineering every now and then. He did one over what MSE is and how it works. That was cool!

iPhone

Sanctimoniously

I'm subscribed to hundreds of channels, but here are a few I watch regularly:

VIDEO OPTION CHANNEL - YouTube outlet for the video side of the Japanese drifting magazine Option, mostly old D1 Grand Prix events, but also other Japanese car culture content.

Noriyaro - An Australian drifter living in Japan, lots of excellently-shot videos about various aspects of Japanese car culture, and POV drifting videos.

WhatCulture Gaming - "Top 10" style videos related to gaming, as well as gaming news and humor, etc.

The Slow Mo Guys - Excessively high-end high-speed cinematography for comparatively pointless subjects. Also features Gavin Free of Rooster Teeth and Achievement Hunter, both of which I also used to watch pretty frequently, but I've slacked off in recent years.

Regular Car Reviews - Irregular reviews of regular cars. Probably NSFW.
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 22, 2013, 06:27:29 AM
[tt]wow                 very cringe
        such clearview          must photo
much clinch      so misalign         wow[/tt]

See it. Live it. Love it. Verdana.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Sanctimoniously on March 01, 2018, 01:25:29 AM
Regular Car Reviews - Irregular reviews of regular cars. Probably NSFW.

Oh man, I watched a ton of those videos a while back, but didn't subscribe and forgot all about it. They're great. Now I've got something new to watch when otherwise unoccupied. :biggrin:

Buck87

Here's one I stumbled across last night and subsequently spent 2 hours watching: How Ridiculous

It's a few Australian guys doing all sorts of crazy stuff. What I was mostly watching was a series of videos where they were dropping anvils onto various things from a 45 meter tower.

inkyatari

Quote from: Buck87 on March 01, 2018, 09:41:21 AM
Here's one I stumbled across last night and subsequently spent 2 hours watching: How Ridiculous

It's a few Australian guys doing all sorts of crazy stuff. What I was mostly watching was a series of videos where they were dropping anvils onto various things from a 45 meter tower.

Reminds me of the old David Letterman "dropping things off a ten story tower" routine.  I recall he did a bag of flour, doused with gasoline and set on fire, and once, a pinata full of baked beans...

Rothman

Quote from: inkyatari on March 01, 2018, 10:00:28 AM
Quote from: Buck87 on March 01, 2018, 09:41:21 AM

Reminds me of the old David Letterman "dropping things off a ten story tower" routine.  I recall he did a bag of flour, doused with gasoline and set on fire, and once, a pinata full of baked beans...

I believe he also dropped a bowling ball into a bathtub filled with ketchup.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: Buck87 on January 03, 2018, 12:52:46 PM
I've seen a lot of my subscribed channels mentioned already: The Great War, CPG Grey, Wonderwhy, Wendover Productions, Half as Interesting

some others that I also follow:

Tom Scott - British guy who points out various "things you might not know" and "amazing places" among other things
Extra Credits - Primarily a channel about video games, but what I watch are their animated history videos which typically come in 4-6 episode series.
Geography Now - a guy making summary videos about each country in the world
Knowledge Hub - similar style as CPG Grey, Wendover Productions etc
Nerd(cubed) - computer game reviewer. I don't give a shit about gaming, but this British guy is funny as hell and I especially like watching his Rollercoaster Tycoon and Planet Coaster series, as well as his reviews of simulators.
Geography Now
Knowledge Hub
Nerd2
Appear in my suggested list also, and I watch a video form them -- from time to time.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on January 03, 2018, 05:34:24 PM
I'm now waiting for the 2018 season of the Appalachian Trail hikers. They should be starting by mid-February. I follow a few of them on their way North from Springer Mountain in Georgia, and I usually go with the faster, eventually arriving at Mount Katahdin in Maine by early August.

Already in with this. This time I started following a couple hikers already in early February. One is now at Erwin TN, and the other at the Fontana Dam in NC.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

I follow some train hoppers and as recently as November of 2017 (IIRC) one of those hoppers got killed. HoboStobe... RIP.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

This is interesting Wendover Productions knows how to fix traffic forever, and then claims there is no way to fix traffic... :banghead:

Please, feel free to watch the whole video, but that is where the start of "Sorry, but you're SOL regarding your traffic problems!"  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

While I have this thread, here is a Modern Marvels documentary on America's Super Highways!

For the inner roadgeek in us all! (The whole forum?) Hehe, I know! :bigass:

inkyatari

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on March 01, 2018, 04:26:43 PM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on January 03, 2018, 05:34:24 PM

Already in with this. This time I started following a couple hikers already in early February. One is now at Erwin TN, and the other at the Fontana Dam in NC.

I watch Foor Your Success every now and then.  I love his hiking Videos.

vdeane

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on March 01, 2018, 07:46:42 PM
This is interesting Wendover Productions knows how to fix traffic forever, and then claims there is no way to fix traffic... :banghead:
I'm pretty sure his fix is "get everyone in self-driving cars".  Actually, his REAL fix is probably "get everyone in airplanes" ;)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Here is some interesting gameplay on the game Freeways:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDlzPVXzcsU

index

Surprised there hasn't been a mention of Kurzgesagt here. It's a really interesting youtube channel with rather captivating videos on various topics, primarily science, although sometimes philosophy and other topics. They only upload one video a month, though, but that's the tradeoff for how good their videos are. They explain some really interesting and complex concepts like string theory and quantum computing in cartoon animation. If you're ever curious about something and want to know more, it's a good channel.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Buck87

Quote from: index on March 06, 2018, 02:39:18 PM
Surprised there hasn't been a mention of Kurzgesagt here. It's a really interesting youtube channel with rather captivating videos on various topics, primarily science, although sometimes philosophy and other topics. They only upload one video a month, though, but that's the tradeoff for how good their videos are. They explain some really interesting and complex concepts like string theory and quantum computing in cartoon animation. If you're ever curious about something and want to know more, it's a good channel.

Ah yes, good channel.

This right here is my favorite video of theirs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nHBGFKLHZQ

inkyatari

Recently started watching the channel FIlmCow.

I started with "Llamas With Hats"

"Whitey's gotta pay.  And that payment is baby hands."

Then I moved on to "Charlie the UNicorn"...

And "Detective Heart of America"

And then "Detective Heart of America: The Feature FIlm"  This is batshit insane, and I loved every one of its hour 16 minutes running time.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.