News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Sounds that drive you up the wall?

Started by index, March 23, 2018, 08:57:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tribar

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on March 26, 2018, 03:52:53 PM
Quote from: index on March 26, 2018, 02:35:33 PM
Quote from: tribar on March 26, 2018, 01:50:57 PM
Parkland "activists"

A bit too political for a thread that has nothing to do with politics, don't you think?

(And to point out everyone who's mentioned Hillary Clinton, I believe it's probably political, just me, not a problem, but one could easily make the argument they genuinely don't like her voice, so fair enough.)

+ 1

And of all things political, perhaps one shouldn't speak ill of those who were in a genuine tragedy such as seeing 17 classmates killed in front of them. Regardless of your stance on gun issues, I think that comment was uncalled for.
Quote from: index on March 26, 2018, 02:35:33 PM
Quote from: tribar on March 26, 2018, 01:50:57 PM
Parkland "activists"

A bit too political for a thread that has nothing to do with politics, don't you think?

(And to point out everyone who's mentioned Hillary Clinton, I believe it's probably political, just me, not a problem, but one could easily make the argument they genuinely don't like her voice, so fair enough.)

My apologies. I probably shouldn't have included that.

OracleUsr

I have misophonia, and people slurping, chewing loudly and humming drive me insane.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

cjk374

Someone in the process of a massive dumpage event in the bathroom. Yuck!  :crazy:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

formulanone

Quote from: cjk374 on March 26, 2018, 07:34:15 PM
Someone in the process of a massive dumpage event in the bathroom. Yuck!  :crazy:

If there's a better place to put it, please name it.

cjk374

Quote from: formulanone on March 26, 2018, 07:49:46 PM

Does anyone use an outhouse anymore???  :rofl:

abefroman329

I assume cjk means the sound of someone in the stall taking a massive dump.  I hate that too, and go out of my way to avoid going #2 in shared public bathrooms.  I know that, when ya gotta go, ya gotta go, but...ugh, anywhere but there.

bandit957

I think we can all agree that the sound of a person loudly passing gas is one of the most hilarious sounds imaginable.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

abefroman329

Quote from: bandit957 on March 27, 2018, 11:12:33 AM
I think we can all agree that the sound of a person loudly passing gas is one of the most hilarious sounds imaginable.

Yes, Mel Brooks proved that definitively in Blazing Saddles.

abefroman329

Since we were discussing songs that have been censored for terrestrial radio play, I'd like to remind everyone that ABC once broadcast Blazing Saddles, and one of the many edits they made to the movie was removing the fart sounds from the campfire scene.

texaskdog

Quote from: cjk374 on March 26, 2018, 08:23:42 PM

One of our members was named Outhouse.  Not sure if she got married or just changed it.

abefroman329

Quote from: texaskdog on March 27, 2018, 12:06:23 PM
Quote from: cjk374 on March 26, 2018, 08:23:42 PM

One of our members was named Outhouse.  Not sure if she got married or just changed it.

She changed it to Latrine.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: pumpkineater2 on March 23, 2018, 10:20:43 PM
The sound of people breathing. Most people's  breathing is virtually silent, however My Dad breathes absurdly loud, and it has always driven me insane. I've never told him this though. What am I supposed to say? "Dad, please stop breathing."? :spin:
One of my uncles breathes while eating anything, and moans audibly. It's very unsettling. You could compare it to having an orgasm while eating... Ewww :banghead:
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

abefroman329

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on March 27, 2018, 12:19:15 PM
Quote from: pumpkineater2 on March 23, 2018, 10:20:43 PM
The sound of people breathing. Most people's  breathing is virtually silent, however My Dad breathes absurdly loud, and it has always driven me insane. I've never told him this though. What am I supposed to say? "Dad, please stop breathing."? :spin:
One of my uncles breathes while eating anything, and moans audibly. It's very unsettling. You could compare it to having an orgasm while eating... Ewww :banghead:

Have you ever asked to have what he's having?

seicer

Basically, ASMR is akin to having an orgasm in your brain for some. Ever get that weird tingling feeling while listening to your coworker bang away at a mechanical keyboard? Or someone softly speaking while marking up a paper?

Beltway

What about the sound of someone's repeated loud belching? 
Would most people agree that is a disgusting and offensive sound?

The problem with it is that you are wondering if you are about to hear the sound of the chunks hitting the floor.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

SSOWorld

Quote from: Beltway on March 27, 2018, 04:46:43 PM

The problem with it is that you are wondering if you are about to hear the sound of the chunks hitting the floor.
Are you kidding? That's f'n hilarious  :D :D :rofl:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Takumi

Quote from: seicer on March 27, 2018, 12:58:34 PM

Basically, ASMR is akin to having an orgasm in your brain for some. Ever get that weird tingling feeling while listening to your coworker bang away at a mechanical keyboard? Or someone softly speaking while marking up a paper?
I love ASMR, although it does seem to be an acquired taste.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

seicer

I do too. Which is why I have a mechanical keyboard at home and in the office. I also just really enjoy having tactile feedback and the feeling that a physical link produces a desired result (e.g. mechanical keyboard, tuning knobs). Enough of these captive displays in cars!

index

Quote from: Takumi on March 27, 2018, 10:49:06 PM
Quote from: seicer on March 27, 2018, 12:58:34 PM
I love ASMR, although it does seem to be an acquired taste.

I don't experience any tingling feeling at all. It's quite literally just useless noise to me. Don't know how it would feel and probably never will.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

abefroman329

Quote from: SSOWorld on March 27, 2018, 06:46:48 PM

The other afternoon, someone on the bus let out a fart that smelled so bad I thought they shat themselves.  THAT was disgusting.  Since belching is odorless unless you're right in the face of the belcher, it's just hilarious.

cjk374

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 28, 2018, 09:06:44 AM

The other afternoon, someone on the bus let out a fart that smelled so bad I thought they shat themselves.  THAT was disgusting.  Since belching is odorless unless you're right in the face of the belcher, it's just hilarious.

At least THAT wasn't in an elevator.  :-D

formulanone

Regarding farts and belches: Timing is everything, sometimes it breaks tension at the right moment. Used too often, one becomes a sad clown.

I'm kind of surprised at the sounds of food being eaten considered as annoying. Never really gave it much thought...we all eat, after all.

Quote from: seicer on March 27, 2018, 10:55:45 PM
I do too. Which is why I have a mechanical keyboard at home and in the office. I also just really enjoy having tactile feedback and the feeling that a physical link produces a desired result (e.g. mechanical keyboard, tuning knobs). Enough of these captive displays in cars!

This, too.

That my car makes distinctive sounds when using the various HVAC controls, the shifter makes its own dull clicks, the clutch pedal squeaks just a little bit, the pedal faces have a "tap" to it, the radio having it's own touch, the feel of the objects moved just at the right times, the switchgear's feedback gentle but certain...that's a tactile enjoyment that's personal to the owner.

I'm fine with a phone or tablet having a smooth surface, since it has to change depending on the applications in use. But you depend on the feel of some constants when hurtling around at speed, that you know what sounds normal and natural from the abnormal, so there's reasons auto manufacturers design things in that way.

Beltway

But if the belching is followed by the sound of the chunks hitting the floor, that would most definitely -not- be odorless.  It would be quite smelly.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

abefroman329

Quote from: cjk374 on March 28, 2018, 09:33:42 AM

At least THAT wasn't in an elevator.  :-D

When I worked in high rises, I was really bad (or good, depending on how you look at it) at farting in empty elevators 3 seconds before the doors opened at a floor I was not expecting the elevator to stop at.

Luckily, I don't work in a high rise any more.

abefroman329

Quote from: Beltway on March 28, 2018, 09:59:05 AM

But if the belching is followed by the sound of the chunks hitting the floor, that would most definitely -not- be odorless.  It would be quite smelly.

OK, then:

Vomiting in a closed space: Disgusting
Vomiting in an open space: Not my favorite thing, but OK
Belching without vomiting: Hilarious

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.