News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

When you call the DOT....

Started by MCRoads, March 29, 2018, 02:08:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hurricane Rex

I've attempted to email ODOT and WSDOT once each, both times I got an error message saying the email address (copy pasted from their website) doesn't exist.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

abefroman329

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 02, 2018, 02:28:32 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on April 02, 2018, 12:58:33 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 02, 2018, 05:29:07 AM
Not to mention that DOTs are not companies, so you can't really choose to be a "customer" of another DOT (without moving). They are part of your government, paid for with your tax money. If they suck, call them up and give them hell. Politely, of course–the guy on the phone probably isn't the one responsible for whatever issue you have. Same goes for the DOT as it does for your senator, congressman, governor, or whatever.

Most problems called into the DOT are maintenance issues. The secretary who answers the phone has no clue what to do about the problem, and she probably doesn't even know where the problem location is. She can't do anything about it. Neither can the public information officer who gets a disproportionate number of those calls forwarded to them because their name is on a press release or some constituent has seen them on TV or seen their name in the newspaper.

Right–being a jerk is never called for, and nobody wants to deal with that at their job. But the OP's "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything" isn't how we should treat a government agency–criticism is necessary to ensure that the government works for the people.

No, it's not.  I used to answer phones for a US Senator, and being a jerk to me wasn't going to make the Senator change their stance on whatever position the caller didn't think they should hold.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on April 02, 2018, 12:58:33 PM
Most problems called into the DOT are maintenance issues. The secretary who answers the phone has no clue what to do about the problem, and she probably doesn't even know where the problem location is. She can't do anything about it. Neither can the public information officer who gets a disproportionate number of those calls forwarded to them because their name is on a press release or some constituent has seen them on TV or seen their name in the newspaper.

Agree.

I try (if possible) to alert a DOT agency to maintenance problems by their Web site or in at least in the case of one agency by Twitter. 

That tends to get the  report of the problem to the correct person or section in the agency.  I might call or e-mail someone if I know them, especially if it is something that needs fast attention (such as a missing STOP sign; bridge or sign structure having been struck by an overheight load or dump truck with its bed up by mistake; or a pothole in a bridge deck with the rebar showing).   

I know at least one agency that has a policy-specified response time of an hour for a STOP sign that is down or missing - even in the middle of the night or on a weekend or holiday.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.