News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Best cars for windows-down driving

Started by briantroutman, April 30, 2018, 08:53:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Anyone keeping a list of the good ones?  A lot of us are only listing the bad...

...like my 2013 Elantra.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

formulanone

Quote from: Rothman on May 02, 2018, 11:14:18 AM
Anyone keeping a list of the good ones?

I had a '95 Dodge Neon that was great at suppressing wind interior wind noise and buffeting.

Not sure too many folks are going to shell out $250 for one (and likely $5000 in repairs), though.

briantroutman

Quote from: Rothman on May 02, 2018, 11:14:18 AM
Anyone keeping a list of the good ones?

Well so far, those mentioned as falling somewhere in the range of Acceptable to Good are (in no particular order):

1980s and earlier cars
convertibles
some medium- and heavy-duty trucks (incl. International Durastar)
'90s Hondas (incl. 2001 Honda Accord)
'90s Subarus (incl. Legacy, Impreza)
1st-gen Jeep Liberty
2nd-gen Buick Lacrosse
5th-gen Chevrolet Camaro
3rd-gen Dodge Challenger
Toyota Corolla (assumably 11th-gen)
3rd-gen Ford Escape (despite odd creaking sound from sunroof)

PHLBOS seems to agree with my theory that cars which are very carefully tuned for aerodynamics tend to suffer from greater disruption when windows are opened and the meticulously honed body shape is altered. That would seem to corroborate some of the suggestions ('80s and older vehicles, medium/heavy trucks) but not necessarily others (current Toyota Corolla, '90s Hondas–all of which I assumed were carefully shaped to maximize fuel economy).

Quote from: formulanone on May 02, 2018, 12:27:45 PM
I had a '95 Dodge Neon that was great at suppressing wind interior wind noise and buffeting.

I'm not saying this suggestion is wrong, although I recall a particularly high number of complaints about the wind noise in the first-generation Neons. But perhaps these complaints were the result of just light winds whistling through the frameless glass door seals–not high wind turbulence in itself.

If frameless glass actually helps reduce in-cabin air turbulence, perhaps this helps explain the decent experience I had with my '90s Subarus, all of which had frameless window glass. Though its door glass was very different from most Subarus, I recall contemporary reviews stating that the SVX's odd "window within a window"  led to a noticeably quieter cabin when windows were down as well.

On a slightly different topic: Does anyone have experience with window and sunroof wind deflectors? I can't say I like the look, but if they contribute to a more serene open-window cabin, they might be worth the toll on my car's appearance. I've also heard that they're good for allowing partially open windows in light to moderate rain as well.

catch22

Quote from: webny99 on May 01, 2018, 09:50:19 PM
The Taurus (which is, interestingly, used by law enforcement) and Fusion both create a horrific blowing effect with the windows down at freeway speeds. It almost "stutters", sounding like there is unbelievable amounts of resistance. This happens to a much lesser degree in larger vans and trucks I've been in.

I personally try to use freeways where possible, and as such, don't make a habit of rolling the windows down. Unbelievable how many arms I see sticking out of truck windows this time of year, though.
I'm fairly warm-blooded and seem to heat up easily, so I tend to use the AC if it's above 60 degrees or so, maybe even lower on a sunny day due to the black interior.

My wife's Escape is like this. At speed with just the driver's window down, it "flaps" (to use her term).  There's even a mention in the owner's manual about it. It says. "To reduce wind noise or pulsing noise when just one windows is open, slightly open the opposite window."

This was never an issue back in the days when vehicles had vent windows.  :)

abefroman329

Quote from: catch22 on May 02, 2018, 01:18:17 PM
Quote from: webny99 on May 01, 2018, 09:50:19 PM
The Taurus (which is, interestingly, used by law enforcement) and Fusion both create a horrific blowing effect with the windows down at freeway speeds. It almost "stutters", sounding like there is unbelievable amounts of resistance. This happens to a much lesser degree in larger vans and trucks I've been in.

I personally try to use freeways where possible, and as such, don't make a habit of rolling the windows down. Unbelievable how many arms I see sticking out of truck windows this time of year, though.
I'm fairly warm-blooded and seem to heat up easily, so I tend to use the AC if it's above 60 degrees or so, maybe even lower on a sunny day due to the black interior.

My wife's Escape is like this. At speed with just the driver's window down, it "flaps" (to use her term).  There's even a mention in the owner's manual about it. It says. "To reduce wind noise or pulsing noise when just one windows is open, slightly open the opposite window."

This was never ran issue back in the days when vehicles had vent windows.  :)

Yeah, but then they made climate control standard, and many people quit smoking, and everything just went to hell.

abefroman329

Quote from: briantroutman on May 02, 2018, 01:09:54 PM
On a slightly different topic: Does anyone have experience with window and sunroof wind deflectors? I can't say I like the look, but if they contribute to a more serene open-window cabin, they might be worth the toll on my car's appearance. I've also heard that they're good for allowing partially open windows in light to moderate rain as well.

I've owned two cars with sunroofs, and would never go out of my way to buy another car that had one.  The only thing I ever used them for was smoking in the car when it was too cold to roll down the windows, and the motor that operated it was just one more thing that broke and needed to be replaced.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 02, 2018, 01:36:09 PM
On a slightly different topic: Does anyone have experience with window and sunroof wind deflectors? I can’t say I like the look, but if they contribute to a more serene open-window cabin, they might be worth the toll on my car’s appearance. I’ve also heard that they’re good for allowing partially open windows in light to moderate rain as well.

I've owned two cars with sunroofs, and would never go out of my way to buy another car that had one.  The only thing I ever used them for was smoking in the car when it was too cold to roll down the windows, and the motor that operated it was just one more thing that broke and needed to be replaced.

While I won't specifically look for a car with a sunroof/moonroof, when the car came with one I've always left the shade open to let the sun come in.  I don't open them all that often though.

PHLBOS

I''m not saying this suggestion is wrong, although I recall a particularly high number of complaints about the wind noise in the first-generation Neons. But perhaps these complaints were the result of just light winds whistling through the frameless glass door seals–not high wind turbulence in itself.

If frameless glass actually helps reduce in-cabin air turbulence, perhaps this helps explain the decent experience I had with my '90s Subarus, all of which had frameless window glass. Though its door glass was very different from most Subarus, I recall contemporary reviews stating that the SVX's odd "window within a window"  led to a noticeably quieter cabin when windows were down as well.
Back in the 70s and even early 80s, that particular style, frameless glass with B-pillars, was commonly referred to as the pillared-hardtop.  Until the '95 Dodge/Plymouth Neon rolled out, the last 4-door pillared-hardtop from the domestic Big-Three was the '85 Cadillac Seville.

Interestingly, Subaru continuously maintained the pillared-hardtop style for its sedans & wagons up until 2009.

Current 4-door pillared-hardtops out there include (but not limited to) several if not all Tesla models, the VW CC and I believe one or two BMW models (not sure which exact ones).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

formulanone

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 02, 2018, 01:51:31 PM
I''m not saying this suggestion is wrong, although I recall a particularly high number of complaints about the wind noise in the first-generation Neons. But perhaps these complaints were the result of just light winds whistling through the frameless glass door seals–not high wind turbulence in itself.

Back in the 70s and even early 80s, that particular style, frameless glass with B-pillars, was commonly referred to as the pillared-hardtop.  Until the '95 Dodge/Plymouth Neon rolled out, the last 4-door pillared-hardtop from the domestic Big-Three was the '85 Cadillac Seville.

Interestingly, Subaru continuously maintained the pillared-hardtop style for its sedans & wagons up until 2009.

Current 4-door pillared-hardtops out there include (but not limited to) several if not all Tesla models, the VW CC and I believe one or two BMW models (not sure which exact ones).

The Neon experienced varying amounts of wind noise when the windows were rolled up. The rubbery weatherstripping was mounted on the body, so there was a bit a whistle at speeds over 50 or so, increasing a bit after about 6-9 months from sparrow's chirp to Darth Vader's breathing.

I cut a thin scouring sponge into thin strips and inserted it within the folds of the weatherstripping on both front window seals. That reduced about 90% of the noise, it wasn't visible, and it worked for about three years until a new application was needed.

The things you can do on a budget...

Takumi

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 02, 2018, 01:46:32 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on May 02, 2018, 01:36:09 PM
On a slightly different topic: Does anyone have experience with window and sunroof wind deflectors? I can’t say I like the look, but if they contribute to a more serene open-window cabin, they might be worth the toll on my car’s appearance. I’ve also heard that they’re good for allowing partially open windows in light to moderate rain as well.

While I won't specifically look for a car with a sunroof/moonroof, when the car came with one I've always left the shade open to let the sun come in.  I don't open them all that often though.

For me, every car I've owned has had a sunroof come standard. If I had a choice, I think it would depend on what I use the car for. Daily driver? Sure, sunroof. Weekend track toy? No sunroof if possible.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Beltway

Quote from: Takumi on May 02, 2018, 04:28:06 PM
For me, every car I've owned has had a sunroof come standard. If I had a choice, I think it would depend on what I use the car for. Daily driver? Sure, sunroof. Weekend track toy? No sunroof if possible.

My 2016 Buick LaCrosse is my first.  My 2003 car was immobilized needing about $2,500 in repairs, and I decided to get a new car rather than fix the old.  It came down to what cars were on the lot, the two cars that I liked both happened to have a sunroof. 

I don't open it very often, but I often roll the curtain back and it is nice having another big window the let more light in the cabin.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

J N Winkler

As regards fresh air versus A/C, when I am driving in a car with functional A/C but it is cool enough outdoors to dispense with refrigeration, I generally try to use the blower fan instead of rolling down windows.  I don't think there is such a thing as a car that doesn't see compromised NVH performance when any of its exterior glass is open, which also allows debris to blow into the passenger cabin.  And even on days when outdoor temperatures are reasonably comfortable but the humidity is not, A/C is essential for dehumidification.

In summer the fuel efficiency penalty of using A/C relates most closely to the heat load that builds up from the car greenhousing while it is parked in the sun.  Once the interior cools down, ongoing refrigeration demand from the A/C system is very low and it is typically impossible to see A/C use in fuel efficiency figures, especially if the car is being driven at speed on the open road.  Rolling down the windows for short trips in the city in summer I can understand (heat island effect, not enough time per trip for the car interior to cool down fully, often fewer opportunities to park in shade), but on long highway trips it strikes me as a fool's bid for economy.

This conversation about rolling down windows is essentially a late-1970's kind of discussion we are having largely as a result of R-134a mobile A/C systems (post-1994) being much harder to leakproof and keep leaktight than R-12 systems (pre-1994).  Given that R-134a performs mediocrely as a refrigerant and is a particularly nasty greenhouse gas, I find it easy to understand why people would rather roll down the windows than spend $70+ on a recharge that will leak out or an unknown but high and recurring cost to have the A/C system leakproofed.  Given the nature of A/C system problems and the way repair shops process cars through their garages, it typically requires multiple visits to resolve leaky A/C, and each visit amounts to a roll of the dice in terms of permanent repair of all leaks.  But if the car already has working, leaktight A/C, it is worth using A/C for dehumidification alone.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Beltway

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 03, 2018, 11:55:17 AM
As regards fresh air versus A/C, when I am driving in a car with functional A/C but it is cool enough outdoors to dispense with refrigeration, I generally try to use the blower fan instead of rolling down windows.  I don't think there is such a thing as a car that doesn't see compromised NVH performance when any of its exterior glass is open, which also allows debris to blow into the passenger cabin. 

Not just debris, but also bees and other insects, and over the long term it contributes to the oily film that forms on the inside of your rear window.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

bugo

Any two or four door hardtop from the '50s to the '70s. Hardtops don't have B pillars so there is an unbroken open space from the A pillar to the C pillar. Some marques (Mercury, Oldsmobile, Buick, Dodge, Chrysler" had hardtop wagons, which is an unusual concept.

bugo

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 30, 2018, 11:06:04 PM
The muscle car shape of my previous 5th Generation Camaro and current generation Challenger I noticed tend to keep wind out even with the window fully open.  Usually I drove both of them with the window down, I suppose the gun slot size doesn't hurt keeping the noise down.

I sat in a 2010ish Camaro and the roof was just too short for me. If I leaned my head forward an inch or two to look over my shoulder, my head hit the roof and I had to contort my head uncomfortably just to be able to see over my shoulder. I'm not even all that tall (6'4") and I imagine this car would be hell for anybody over 6'6" or so. Hell, it wouldn't be comfortable for anybody over 5'10".

slorydn1

I can relate. It sucks to have just one window open in both of my Mustangs (2012 and 2014), and only marginally better with both sides open. It seems that when I have just the drivers window open the air gets trapped in the back seat area and fights with the air flowing in the window creating a deep buffeting that actually makes my ears pop-a very weird sensation. When I open the passenger window it seems to alleviate that pressure some, but the wind noise stays extremely loud in the car.

All of the pickups I have had in my lifetime all were great to cruise long distance at speed with the windows down. Same with my old boxy sedans over the years. The first car we had that I didn't enjoy driving with the windows down was the 1999 Grand Am my wife had when we got married. Even though it was a 4 door, it had that same pressurization issue that I described with my Mustangs.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

PHLBOS

Quote from: slorydn1 on May 09, 2018, 12:30:52 AMAll of the pickups I have had in my lifetime all were great to cruise long distance at speed with the windows down.
Many pickups also offered a rear window that opened as well which allowed the outside air to freely flow through the vehicle.  Old-school station wagons that featured a roll-down rear-tailgate window were good for such too.

One short-lived item for conventional coupes & sedans (by it standard or hardtop) was the Breezeway feature that was offered on Lincolns, Continentals & Mercurys during the late 50s through the mid 60s.  Such had a rear window that opened similar to ones on the fore-mentioned pick-up trucks.

IMHO the reasons why such was short-lived was due to the models that offered such lost out to air-conditioning, which back then was more easier to find in a Mercury or Lincoln than in Ford (which ironically didn't offer the Breezeway feature) and the fact that the reverse-style rear roofline for such was quite ugly/clashed with the rest of the car's lines (see below-pic).  In hindsight had Mercury styled the rear portion of the roofline (to better conceal the reverse-angled Breezeway window from the sides) similar to the design of its later Sportsroof (as seen on the '69-'70 Marauder & Ford XL); it would've been better received.

Example of the 1963 Mercury Monterey with the Breezeway option:

GPS does NOT equal GOD

bugo

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 09, 2018, 09:16:31 AM
Quote from: slorydn1 on May 09, 2018, 12:30:52 AMAll of the pickups I have had in my lifetime all were great to cruise long distance at speed with the windows down.
Many pickups also offered a rear window that opened as well which allowed the outside air to freely flow through the vehicle.  Old-school station wagons that featured a roll-down rear-tailgate window were good for such too.
One short-lived item for conventional coupes & sedans (by it standard or hardtop) was the Breezeway feature that was offered on Lincolns, Continentals & Mercurys during the late 50s through the mid 60s.  Such had a rear window that opened similar to ones on the fore-mentioned pick-up trucks.

You realize that Continental was a separate division of Ford and that the Mark II-IV were not Lincolns. I'm impressed.

Some of the Breezeway cars looked a bit top heavy, but the '57-58 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser was plain badass...if not in a classical sense. That car was in a lot of ways the epitome of 1950s American cars. It had all the glitz, glamour and gadgetry. Give me a 1958 model with the 400 HP 430 MEL V8 with 3 2 barrel carburetors and a 3 on the tree. What a car that would be.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.