News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

IGA!!!!!

Started by bandit957, May 02, 2018, 09:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

There are quite a few IGA's around Northern Ohio, mostly outside the large urban cities.  There used to be 3 along US-42 that I remember when I was a kid that are gone now (Middleburg Hts., Medina & Lodi).

ftballfan

Quote from: thenetwork on May 02, 2018, 10:27:40 PM
There are quite a few IGA's around Northern Ohio, mostly outside the large urban cities.  There used to be 3 along US-42 that I remember when I was a kid that are gone now (Middleburg Hts., Medina & Lodi).
Drove up US-68 from Springfield to Findlay a couple of weeks ago and went past two IGAs (West Liberty and Arlington). Both towns are at least 10-15 minutes away from the nearest Walmart or Kroger (Arlington is more remote than West Liberty).

There appear to still be quite a few around in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (where there are only six Walmarts [Escanaba, Houghton, Iron Mountain, Ironwood, Marquette, and Sault Ste. Marie] and two Meijers [Escanaba and Sault Ste. Marie; a third Meijer is opening in Marquette soon] across the entire peninsula)

MisterSG1

IGA in Ontario at least was connected to the original brand, until Oshawa Foods took over the brand in 1964.....which was eventually bought out by Sobeys in 1998. With a lot of rebrandings that occurred with their properties, (Food City stores became Price Chopper stores, or some Food City stores became IGA) after Sobeys bought them out, the smaller IGA stores remained as IGA, while the larger IGA stores which existed from Food City were rebranded under the Sobeys Banner.

The remaining IGA stores in Ontario, I can think of one in Brampton, these franchise owned stores were FORCED to convert to Foodland.

This is an IGA store in near The Junction neighborhood in Toronto in 1957 (There's a FreshCo across the street today, possibly this being an ancestor of that store) That old rail pedestrian bridge still exists today but the streetcar tracks have since been ripped up.

The IGA stores in Quebec are ran by Sobeys, in fact, the stores there may just be Sobeys stores in all but name if you get what I mean.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: US71 on May 02, 2018, 09:43:35 AM
All the one's in my area dropped the franchise and changed to Marvin's or CV's. Recently, they changed again to Shoppers Value Cost Plus where they tack on ten percent to your final bill and charge 5 cents more per item than Walmart.
The one on 271? I don't see how following a model that CVS had for so long is doing them any good with the baggers. They need to get with the times or GTFO!
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

Flint1979

These towns in Michigan have IGA stores still:
Au Gres, Ossineke, Alpena, Rogers City, Hillman, Harbor Springs. Those are all in the Lower Peninsula. The Upper Peninsula has at least 10 of them. The U.P. also only has about 300,000 people and only the bigger towns have a Walmart and Meijer is starting to opening stores in the U.P. now too.

bugo

Quote from: MisterSG1 on May 05, 2018, 10:27:34 PM

This is an IGA store in near The Junction neighborhood in Toronto in 1957 (There's a FreshCo across the street today, possibly this being an ancestor of that store) That old rail pedestrian bridge still exists today but the streetcar tracks have since been ripped up.

That footbridge is awesome! There are a couple of similar footbridges over railroad tracks (and the Mouse/Souris River) in Minot, North Dakota. These tiny trusses must have been built by the railroad companies. Here are some links with pictures of these bridges.

http://bridgehunter.com/nd/ward/bh43077/

http://bridgehunter.com/nd/ward/anne-pedestrian/

Flint1979

Quote from: bugo on May 06, 2018, 12:47:31 AM

That footbridge is awesome! There are a couple of similar footbridges over railroad tracks (and the Mouse/Souris River) in Minot, North Dakota. These tiny trusses must have been built by the railroad companies. Here are some links with pictures of these bridges.

http://bridgehunter.com/nd/ward/bh43077/

http://bridgehunter.com/nd/ward/anne-pedestrian/
GSV has that bridge.
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.660515,-79.4533771,3a,60y,269.96h,90.77t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sw4FtwWrAkLRf6H73BKcf5A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

bugo

Those "cost plus" stores can fuck off. There's one near where I live, and I don't shop there very often because I hate doing the math in my head for the 10% markup and the 10% or so that taxes add to the price. I hate doing math in my head, and I'd rather just shop at Walmart.

bugo

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 06, 2018, 12:50:23 AM
GSV has that bridge.
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.660515,-79.4533771,3a,60y,269.96h,90.77t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sw4FtwWrAkLRf6H73BKcf5A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

That is a pony truss, but the two bridges in Minot are through truss bridges. The top of the trusses might be 10 feet above the floor of the bridge, if they are even that tall.

Here is a picture of me standing on the Anne Street Pedestrian Bridge:

US71

Quote from: bugo on May 06, 2018, 12:51:09 AM
Those "cost plus" stores can fuck off. There's one near where I live, and I don't shop there very often because I hate doing the math in my head for the 10% markup and the 10% or so that taxes add to the price. I hate doing math in my head, and I'd rather just shop at Walmart.

We have two different stores here now. Shopper's Value "moved" into all the CV's (IGA) locations, 10Box Cost Plus "moved" into a Harp's.
Based on my observations (and a friend I compared notes with), after you add the 10 percent "markup", you are paying the same as Wal-Mart  + / -  5 cents.

Harp's, BTW, is based in Springdale, AR and was once "Harp's IGA", but dropped the association in the 1970's.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Flint1979

Quote from: bugo on May 06, 2018, 12:56:38 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on May 06, 2018, 12:50:23 AM
GSV has that bridge.

That is a pony truss, but the two bridges in Minot are through truss bridges. The top of the trusses might be 10 feet above the floor of the bridge, if they are even that tall.

Here is a picture of me standing on the Anne Street Pedestrian Bridge:

Those bridges look kind of cool.

Flint1979

They use to have IGA's in Saginaw. They opened after Hamady Brothers went out of business and before that Hamady Brothers bought out a chain called Vescio's. There was an IGA on W. Michigan and Superior it's now a church, there was one in Riverview Plaza closer to downtown Saginaw it's now another grocery store called Food Depot. They also had an IGA on Dixie Hwy. in the Bridgeport Village Square, that store is now a Kroger. Hamady had two other locations in Saginaw one on Bay Road it's now Powerhouse Gym and one on Gratiot and Center which was demolished and rebuilt as a Hills Department store and then later became a Kmart, Kessel's (now Kroger) built a newer store in 1990 on the other end of the plaza, Kroger closed this store in November 2017 after expanding the store at Green Acres Plaza. The last two Hamady's I mentioned did not become IGA's.

I also remember an IGA in Caseville as a kid about 30 years ago but seem to believe that is no longer an IGA.

US71

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on May 05, 2018, 10:35:38 PM
All the one's in my area dropped the franchise and changed to Marvin's or CV's. Recently, they changed again to Shoppers Value Cost Plus where they tack on ten percent to your final bill and charge 5 cents more per item than Walmart.
The one on 271? I don't see how following a model that CVS had for so long is doing them any good with the baggers. They need to get with the times or GTFO!

ALL the CV's have changed to Shoppers Value including Jenny Lind Rd and the one in Van Buren.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: US71 on May 06, 2018, 01:52:54 PM

ALL the CV's have changed to Shoppers Value including Jenny Lind Rd and the one in Van Buren.
I wonder if Greenwood's CV's met the same fate? Likely, but I haven't paid attention while I've been down there recently.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

US71

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on May 06, 2018, 06:56:43 PM
Quote from: US71 on May 06, 2018, 01:52:54 PM

I wonder if Greenwood's CV's met the same fate? Likely, but I haven't paid attention while I've been down there recently.

I don't see anything on the web about changing.

Bluenoser

The IGA stores in Quebec are ran by Sobeys, in fact, the stores there may just be Sobeys stores in all but name if you get what I mean.

The IGAs in New Brunswick are also supplied by Sobeys Quebec (and are former Co-op stores (except for the one in Edmundston, which has been an IGA for many years); after the regional supplier for co-ops in Atlantic Canada and the Magdalen Islands went under, most Co-op stores (except for 2 in Newfoundland, which are supplied through local chain Colemans) hooked up with Sobeys. The Acadian co-ops are with Sobeys Quebec (stores in Caraquet, Bouctouche, Dieppe, Shediac and Tracadie are Co-op IGAs (Caraquet uses the Quebec-style "coop" sign, with the others using the old Co-op Atlantic logo), with smaller Acadian co-ops rebranding to Tradition, expanding that brand to New Brunswick. Stores elsewhere go under either Co-op or Foodland, but use the same flyer. There's one exception to that rule, though...the Co-op in St-Quentin, NB is supplied by Loblaws Quebec and operates as a L'Intermarche.

bugo

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 06, 2018, 01:10:29 PM
Those bridges look kind of cool.

They're damn cool. Here's another cool bridge in Minot:

http://bridgehunter.com/nd/ward/eastwood-park/

Here is the essay I wrote about it:

The Eastwood Park Bridge was built in 1927 and spans the Mouse (Souris) River in Minot, North Dakota. At first glance, the bridge appears to be a rainbow arch bridge. Upon closer inspection, it is actually an open spandrel deck arch bridge with a cantilevered main (center) span and an ornamental pony arch balustrade. The pony arch span rests upon the deck of the bridge, which rests upon the cantilevered arms on the underside of the bridge. This design was necessitated by a requirement by Ward County for the span to be an arch bridge. The county feared violating the patent for the Marsh arch bridge, so T.W. Sprague was hired to create an alternative design with the look of the fashionable Marsh arch bridge but the function of a deck arch bridge. The result is the only "false arch" bridge in the state of North Dakota. An attempt was made to raze the bridge in the mid-1970s but outrage by locals led to a restoration and listing in the National Register of Historic Places. This is a highly unusual bridge with a fascinating history.

stormwatch7721

I think there used to be a IGA somewhere in Wayne County where I used to live.

kkt

WTF's IGA?  Please spell out acronyms the first time you use them.

Big John

IGA = Independent Grocers Alliance

kkt

Quote from: Big John on May 14, 2018, 04:47:06 PM

Thank you.  That at least gives something I can google.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: Big John on May 14, 2018, 04:47:06 PM

Actually, the brand name is now "IGA", in much the same way as how there is no such place as "Kentucky Fried Chicken" (just "KFC" since 1991).

webny99

Quote from: kkt on May 14, 2018, 04:38:41 PM
WTF's IGA?  Please spell out acronyms the first time you use them.

Yeah, this. I figured it must be something good (!!!!!) but had absolutely no idea what it stood for.

1995hoo

That's when you go to a search engine and look for "What does IGA stand for" or something similar.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 14, 2018, 07:59:20 PM
That's when you go to a search engine and look for "What does IGA stand for" or something similar.

I don't have good luck when searching acronyms. Usually (not always), there's hundreds of different results between various industry-specific lingo, and text-speak and such.

Obviously, it's a Tim thread, so anything goes. But I, for one, go for clarity in both my thread titles and original posts. In this case, the nondescript title deterred me from even opening the thread. I wouldn't want that to happen to discussions I've initiated.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.