News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Boise (City)

Started by mrpablue, May 06, 2018, 02:08:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrpablue

Boise or Boise City? I've seen both on maps, and I've heard people say both. It seems that the city's name is simply Boise, but the metro area as defined by the Census people refers to it as Boise City. What happened, and which do you prefer? Which is correct?

Scott5114

Boise City is in Oklahoma.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Flint1979

I've only heard people call it Boise but I have seen Boise City—Nampa, Idaho Metropolitan Statistical Area.

Max Rockatansky

CNGL-Leudimin

Boise ID and Boise City OK. Although I've seen the one in ID as Boise City.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Brandon

And they're pronounced differently.
Boise, Idaho: boy-see
Boise City, Oklahoma: boys city
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

US 89

I've never heard anyone say Boise City, ID. Even though the census MSA uses "Boise City" , I'm pretty sure that's wrong. The city's own website identifies itself as "City of Boise" , not "Boise City"  or "City of Boise City" .

Also, Boise ID is frequently mispronounced boy-zee instead of boy-see. Pronouncing it with the Z sound identifies you as a tourist.

corco

Boise, though for whatever reason Google identified it as "Boise City" for a few years, which still lingers on some maps. Boise City is only used to clarify that it isn't Boise County, which is also in southwestern Idaho (though does not contain Boise).

DTComposer

I've seen it as Boise City on a number of 19th century maps (such as https://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~30590~1140117:Mont-,-Ida-,-Wyo- ) so I assumed it was "official"  at some point and subsequently dropped.

doorknob60

Quote from: DTComposer on May 06, 2018, 06:44:55 PM
I've seen it as Boise City on a number of 19th century maps (such as https://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~30590~1140117:Mont-,-Ida-,-Wyo- ) so I assumed it was "official"  at some point and subsequently dropped.

That's what I thought I read somewhere, but I can't find any sources on that now.  :hmmm:

Scott5114

Quote from: DTComposer on May 06, 2018, 06:44:55 PM

A similar thing happened with Pryor Creek and New Cordell in Oklahoma. That's their official names, and they show up as such in Census data and other things derived from it. Yet in the real world, nobody (not even ODOT) refers to them as anything other than Pryor and Cordell, respectively.

hotdogPi

The database also refers to certain locations in Massachusetts as Methuen Town, Amesbury Town, and others (generally the ones that are officially cities but are thought of as towns). I have seen this format in several places.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Henry

Something similar exists with Phoenix, AZ and Phenix City, AL; although the two places are pronounced the exact same way, they aren't spelled the same. I've always wondered why the AL city chose its name, perhaps to distinguish itself from the AZ city?

Same thing with Milwaukee, WI and Milwaukie, OR.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

hotdogPi

Quote from: Henry on May 11, 2018, 09:02:56 AM
Something similar exists with Phoenix, AZ and Phenix City, AL; although the two places are pronounced the exact same way, they aren't spelled the same. I've always wondered why the AL city chose its name, perhaps to distinguish itself from the AZ city?

Same thing with Milwaukee, WI and Milwaukie, OR.

Reading, PA, MA, and others, and Redding, CA.
Worcester, MA and Wooster, OH (local dialect changes it a bit, but it should be identical if spoken by someone who doesn't live near either).

Conclusion: Places outside the Northeast simplify spellings of British city/town names so that people won't mispronounce them.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

texaskdog

Quote from: US 89 on May 06, 2018, 05:51:43 PM
I’ve never heard anyone say Boise City, ID. Even though the census MSA uses “Boise City”, I’m pretty sure that’s wrong. The city’s own website identifies itself as “City of Boise”, not “Boise City” or “City of Boise City”.

Also, Boise ID is frequently mispronounced boy-zee instead of boy-see. Pronouncing it with the Z sound identifies you as a tourist.

If they wanted it pronounced that way they should have made it Boisee

busman_49

Quote from: 1 on May 11, 2018, 09:09:30 AM

Worcester, MA and Wooster, OH (local dialect changes it a bit, but it should be identical if spoken by someone who doesn't live near either).

Conclusion: Places outside the Northeast simplify spellings of British city/town names so that people won't mispronounce them.

Funny you say that, because although Wooster is pronounced "WUSS-ter," it is often mispronounced as "WOO-ster."  Wooster does NOT rhyme with rooster.

webny99

Quote from: busman_49 on May 11, 2018, 01:33:39 PM
Quote from: 1 on May 11, 2018, 09:09:30 AM

Funny you say that, because although Wooster is pronounced "WUSS-ter," it is often mispronounced as "WOO-ster."  Wooster does NOT rhyme with rooster.

I, for one, always rhymed it with rooster. Didn't notice how the Ohio natives said it though.

I also have always said "reed-ing" for Reading. But that's a result of seeing it on paper, but not hearing it spoken. In fairness, the verb "reading" [a book] is pronounced "reed", so it's intuitive to assume the place has the same pronunciation.

Scott5114

Quote from: US 89 on May 06, 2018, 05:51:43 PM

Boise has tourists? *ducks*

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.