News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Maryland

Started by Alps, May 22, 2011, 12:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianP

I think as evidenced by MD 404 west of Denton, we'll be seeing more of Maryland T's and super street type setups along the eastern shore along 50*, 13, 113.  301 may get some but that route seems destined as an expressway if not a freeway.  *US 50 between 301 and 404 being the exception since that's slated to be a freeway. 

Press release about this project:
SAFETY IMPROVEMENTS COMING TO BUSY US 50 INTERSECTION IN WICOMICO COUNTY
https://www.roads.maryland.gov/pages/release.aspx?newsId=3372

amroad17

Quote from: SoCal Kid on April 07, 2019, 11:31:53 PM
Quote from: Beltway on April 07, 2019, 11:30:04 PM
Quote from: SoCal Kid on April 07, 2019, 11:08:33 PM
In Baltimore, there is an I-95 spur numbered "I-395" that runs a little over 1 mile from I-95 to downtown Baltimore. Why is it signed as an interstate, why not just have it as a ramp and have overheard signs on I-95 saying "Downtown Baltimore"? Im not annoyed at it, Im just curious at why it was given an Interstate number

That is the nature of Interstate spur routes, they connect a mainline Interstate route to a local destination such as a central business district in this case.

It was part of the original Interstate highway system and by its inclusion it got 90% federal funding almost no non-Interstate project got more than 50%.  It was justified to be an Interstate project by the fact that it connects I-95 to the CBD.
I see.
It is the same situation that St. Petersburg, FL has with I-175 and I-375.  These 2 Interstate highways are basically glorified ramps to and from downtown.  Yet these two freeways also got 90% federal funding and are therefore signed as Interstate highways.

Remember, a spur freeway that has an Interstate marker is "marketing" for that particular city.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Beltway

Quote from: amroad17 on May 03, 2019, 01:40:51 AM
That is the nature of Interstate spur routes, they connect a mainline Interstate route to a local destination such as a central business district in this case.
It was part of the original Interstate highway system and by its inclusion it got 90% federal funding almost no non-Interstate project got more than 50%.  It was justified to be an Interstate project by the fact that it connects I-95 to the CBD.
I see.
It is the same situation that St. Petersburg, FL has with I-175 and I-375.  These 2 Interstate highways are basically glorified ramps to and from downtown.  Yet these two freeways also got 90% federal funding and are therefore signed as Interstate highways.
Remember, a spur freeway that has an Interstate marker is "marketing" for that particular city.

They are freeways in their own right, each over a mile long, they accomplish a lot in a major central business district, and provide major improvements in an urban area with much better access to and from the main Interstate highway, and with ramps between at places other than just at the termini.  AADT 34,000 on I-175 and 31,000 on I-375 and high speed.

I don't know why they wouldn't be considered important enough to be Interstate spur routes.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

sprjus4

Quote from: Beltway on May 03, 2019, 06:24:43 AM
Quote from: amroad17 on May 03, 2019, 01:40:51 AM
I see.

They are freeways in their own right, each over a mile long, they accomplish a lot in a major central business district, and provide major improvements in an urban area with much better access to and from the main Interstate highway, and with ramps between at places other than just at the termini.  AADT 34,000 on I-175 and 31,000 on I-375 and high speed.

I don't know why they wouldn't be considered important enough to be Interstate spur routes.
Another thing that they are, they're 3-d's off of another 3-d. Just more proof of why I-164 should be signed here in Hampton Roads  :pan:

amroad17

I'm not saying that they aren't important.  They deserve to have the Interstate marker based on the amount of traffic Scott mentioned above.  There are a few instances of short spur Interstates that have one or even no interchanges between termini such as I-381 in Bristol, VA or I-195 in Miami.  They serve the purpose they were built for.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

D-Dey65

Quote from: MASTERNC on April 12, 2019, 07:56:58 PM
Cashless toll conversions are beginning in Maryland this fall, starting with the Hatem & Key Bridges.  Both have 80% or higher E-ZPass usage.

https://mdta.maryland.gov/blog-category/mdta-news-releases/key-hatem-bridges-begin-cashless-toll-collection-october-2019
Man, I really regret not getting pictures of the toll plaza and weigh stations on the Thomas Hatem Bridge now. I was too busy trying to get some for the northeast-bound Millard E. Tydings bridge, but they came out too blurry.

BTW, I originally posted this as a reply to another message by mistake.

TheOneKEA

I observed recently that the southbound carriageway earthworks on MD 32 at Linden Church Road are quite advanced and that the contractor may be able to start base paving soon. The current scheduling for the project claims that it will be finished in summer of this year, so unless it rains every day for the next month the project may be finished soon.

Does anyone know if the SHA public ally documents their policies for where VMSes are positioned? A VMS on the northbound side of MD 32 south of Linden Church Road indicating travel times to I-70 would be very useful to the traveling public.

famartin

Among other things in my recent road trips, I noticed US 15 Bus is signed again

(I wish all traffic light blades were this style)

Also, MD 639 has a sign (had not noticed any before)

Roadsguy

I wish Maryland's business US route shields were a nationwide standard...
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Verlanka

Quote from: Roadsguy on May 21, 2019, 01:22:52 AM
I wish Maryland's business US route shields were a nationwide standard...

They shouldn't. That's what makes Maryland stand out.

froggie

^ Doesn't mean it can't be used elsewhere.  In point of fact, I know of jurisdictions outside of Maryland that are using similar specs for BUSINESS US shields.

Eth

Quote from: froggie on May 21, 2019, 09:57:39 AM
^ Doesn't mean it can't be used elsewhere.  In point of fact, I know of jurisdictions outside of Maryland that are using similar specs for BUSINESS US shields.

Green business shields are used on US 1 in Waycross, GA. I don't know of any other examples in the state, though. Might be specific to GDOT District 5, though I'm not sure there are any other signed US business routes in that district to check against.

plain

Quote from: Eth on May 21, 2019, 12:51:05 PM

Green business shields are used on US 1 in Waycross, GA. I don't know of any other examples in the state, though. Might be specific to GDOT District 5, though I'm not sure there are any other signed US business routes in that district to check against.

Interesting sign... but what's up with those signals???
Newark born, Richmond bred

sprjus4

Quote from: plain on May 21, 2019, 06:23:48 PM

Apparently you need four signals for two lanes??

Alex

US 23 Business in South Georgia also has some green shields posted.

Eth

Quote from: plain on May 21, 2019, 06:23:48 PM

Hadn't even noticed that, but that is an excellent question. If there are green right arrows, and there is no straight movement available, what are the green balls referring to? Especially in conjunction with red balls (which should presumably be red left arrows)!

MASTERNC

Looks like I-95 north of Baltimore will be crawling with speed cameras. Noticed covered up signs just south of MD 279 in Elkton and signs covered southbound near Perryville (assume the Tydings Bridge and toll plaza preclude one NB). Both are bridge projects. Oddly, ongoing bridge projects near MD 272 and south of Bel Air don't have them.

A NB project between MD 152 and MD 24 will also have NB cameras when it starts.

1995hoo

Quote from: MASTERNC on May 22, 2019, 02:13:51 PM
Looks like I-95 north of Baltimore will be crawling with speed cameras. Noticed covered up signs just south of MD 279 in Elkton and signs covered southbound near Perryville (assume the Tydings Bridge and toll plaza preclude one NB). Both are bridge projects. Oddly, ongoing bridge projects near MD 272 and south of Bel Air don't have them.

A NB project between MD 152 and MD 24 will also have NB cameras when it starts.

Thanks for the warning. We're headed north in a couple of weeks and while I'm unlikely to go 12 mph over the speed limit in Maryland (that's the statutory threshold for speed cameras), this is all the more reason to head east over the Bay Bridge to check out the new US-301 in Delaware.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Mergingtraffic

Has anybody been on the B/W Pkwy near the Triple Bridges replacement project? 

https://295triplebridges.com/

The website says there are lane closures currently.  Is that true and does it affect traffic?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

ipeters61

Does anyone in the Baltimore area know if these signs are still here?  I think it's at the northern terminus of MD-295.  I'm planning to make a trip that way tomorrow and was going to stop to take a photo.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

famartin

Quote from: ipeters61 on June 21, 2019, 10:11:55 PM
Does anyone in the Baltimore area know if these signs are still here?  I think it's at the northern terminus of MD-295.  I'm planning to make a trip that way tomorrow and was going to stop to take a photo.

Last I saw in 2016, it was still there, but that was 3 years ago now... I'm gonna try to make my way there again by next year, sign or no sign... (my photo from 5/11/2016)

sprjus4

Quote from: ipeters61 on June 21, 2019, 10:11:55 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2695859,-76.6339567,3a,37.5y,47.42h,86.63t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1smOwQyJVi9r_r4Wc_f-dRCQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The latest I could see is November 2018 from I-95... you can make out the back of the sign which appears the same.

OracleUsr

Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: OracleUsr on June 21, 2019, 11:57:35 PM
If you go to

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2722556,-76.6302791,3a,75y,240.12h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQJG0gRbQY92ded_aBNFnQw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It's Aug 2018, but you can see the sign was still there then.

They are!  But they will all be replaced when the triple bridges rehab are done by 2023.  I took the pic last Saturday.

the same with these:
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

ipeters61

Yeah it's still there, so I'll join you guys in posting my own photo!

Also picked up a few other interesting signs:

2 hour parking:

Begin one way:

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.