News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Roadtrips during summer

Started by Roadgeekteen, April 05, 2020, 07:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

Have people been cancelling summer plans? My family has been planning a trip in August.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

oscar

I have several "plans" that aren't fully developed, but will be if and when I'll be able to take those trips. My state's "stay at home" order (current expiration date in early June), and those of some neighboring states, will help keep me close to home for awhile, and I'm not betting the ranch that they won't get extended into the summer.

One trip I'd penciled in for this month, but has been postponed indefinitely, is to the Toronto area now that the border is closed to tourist traffic. The trip to the Outer Banks meet (originally scheduled for this month, now postponed) also is out for this year.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Max Rockatansky

The second I can get out and do something I'm doing it.   If there was something worthwhile to do right now I would do it, but almost everything of note is closed. 

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 05, 2020, 09:55:27 PM
The second I can get out and do something I'm doing it.   If there was something worthwhile to do right now I would do it, but almost everything of note is closed.

I feel the same way. I'm very stir crazy so I may get the urge to do something before the order is lifted. And while I'm away from home I may do some stealthy county collecting.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

webny99

At this point, day trips seem likely to be feasible, but anything requiring an overnight stay is probably going to be up in the air until at least a few weeks prior. That's just the nature of this situation: long-term planning is completely out the window, and it's best just to take things one day at a time.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on April 05, 2020, 10:00:51 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 05, 2020, 09:55:27 PM

I feel the same way. I'm very stir crazy so I may get the urge to do something before the order is lifted. And while I'm away from home I may do some stealthy county collecting.

Trouble is here for me I've done almost everything worthwhile doing within a 6 hour radius road wise.  The hard part is trying to think of something to scratch the itch.  Most of the cool roads that I want to redo are in the Sierras and it's too wet right now to do much off roading in the Diablos.  I'm trying to find a couple local ghost town sites to dig into short term but I've seen and mapped out the history of most of them already.  Pretty much everyone here screwed the pooch on hiking and got it shut down for everyone...mostly. 

1995hoo

The only trip we currently have planned is dinner and a single overnight at the Inn at Little Washington in late July for our tenth anniversary. If it's open, we will be going. Doubt I'll bother with trying to find a new route to get there because there aren't any short of using all minor back roads, which would just add a load of travel time we'd rather spend at the Inn.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

GaryV

We have trips planned for the weeks of Memorial Day and Independence Day, and for the 3rd weekend in June.  We'll take it on a case by case basis to see if they happen or not.  Fortunately we have reservations that can be cancelled with short notice.

hbelkins

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 07, 2020, 12:23:31 PM
The only trip we currently have planned is dinner and a single overnight at the Inn at Little Washington in late July for our tenth anniversary. If it's open, we will be going. Doubt I'll bother with trying to find a new route to get there because there aren't any short of using all minor back roads, which would just add a load of travel time we'd rather spend at the Inn.

Is that the Washington at the intersection of US 211 and US 522?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on April 07, 2020, 02:38:38 PM

Slight distance west of there, but yes, that's the one. Washington, Virginia. Not a big "road trip" per se, but definitely a significant destination to visit.

Actually, we have one other trip on our radar but no date set: My wife's younger sister died last Tuesday (not of COVID-19) and the funeral arrangements have been deferred until travel is more realistic (they also have a brother in Phoenix, so while Ms1995hoo and I could easily drive down, he certainly couldn't easily drive). For obvious reasons, we don't know when that's going to be, and we don't know whether we will drive or fly. They have not yet decided where the cremated remains will be inurned, so we may need to drive if we need to bring those back with us.

NWI_Irish96

The last 5 states in the continental US that I haven't visited are in New England, so we have a family trip there scheduled for June.  Originally we were going to be driving, but when our March trip to Hilton Head got canceled we ended up with airline credit we needed to use, so now we're flying into Hartford and renting a car.

If restrictions aren't lifted by then, we'll try to push it back.  We can go as late as mid-August before we run up against the next school year.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

doorknob60

We have a road trip mid June for a wedding, that's likely to be pushed back I would imagine. Also a road trip for a concert in late July that is iffy (I imagine a lot of restrictions will be lifted by then, but concerts are far riskier than most other events). Both trips will be rescheduled to accommodate the event dates if needed. We will probably plan an alternative trip of some sort if they are pushed back far, assuming restrictions are lifted a bit, since we'll be a little stir crazy by that point. Luckily we took a road trip in early March right before shit hit the fan in the US, so we'll survive a while without traveling. Already cancelled our plane trip to Virginia this month, not sure if we'll end up rescheduling the same trip to fall/next year, or going somewhere else instead (a trip to Hawaii in Oct/Nov sounds like a great way to relax if things are close to normal by then).

JREwing78

I did my big 4600 mile road trip out west last summer (hitting the Badlands, Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, and Arches NP), so my plans this summer/fall were more modest. I want to complete the Lake Superior and Lake Huron Circle Tour on the Canadian side (I've basically completed both in the U.S.). I'm hoping by mid-September enough restrictions are lifted to pull it off.

ctkatz

I've got a unique situation I believe.  I am going on vacation at the end of next month.  but the thing I was going to was postponed, so I have nothing to "do".  I already have hotels and a rental car booked.  I am able to cancel everything, but I still want to actually go out, partially so I maintain my hotel rewards level.

the one place that I haven't.been to is new england and the mid atlantic states.  I can get to pretty much all of those places in a week's time starting from kentucky.  my only question is if those places have any travel restrictions.  if not, this will be the first vacation that I have ever taken where there is no destination and the road is the trip.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 08, 2020, 08:27:11 AM
The last 5 states in the continental US that I haven't visited are in New England, so we have a family trip there scheduled for June.  Originally we were going to be driving, but when our March trip to Hilton Head got canceled we ended up with airline credit we needed to use, so now we're flying into Hartford and renting a car.

If restrictions aren't lifted by then, we'll try to push it back.  We can go as late as mid-August before we run up against the next school year.

This trip has now been moved to August. Flying to Boston and after a couple days there, doing a loop that includes Kennebunk, ME; Cooperstown, NY; and NYC.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

1995hoo

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 08, 2020, 07:46:22 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on April 07, 2020, 02:38:38 PM

Slight distance west of there, but yes, that's the one. Washington, Virginia. Not a big "road trip" per se, but definitely a significant destination to visit.

Actually, we have one other trip on our radar but no date set: My wife's younger sister died last Tuesday (not of COVID-19) and the funeral arrangements have been deferred until travel is more realistic (they also have a brother in Phoenix, so while Ms1995hoo and I could easily drive down, he certainly couldn't easily drive). For obvious reasons, we don't know when that's going to be, and we don't know whether we will drive or fly. They have not yet decided where the cremated remains will be inurned, so we may need to drive if we need to bring those back with us.

Our trip noted in the second paragraph is not happening. The memorial service is May 30 in Florida and it will be live-streamed, so we will watch that and they will ship the cremated remains to us. We'll take them to Ohio for interment this fall. I feel a bit guilty that in thinking about that trip, I've been thinking about different ways to get out there, possibly Corridor H to I-79 to Charleston and then up US-35 (which has a 70-mph speed limit for at least portions of the Ohio segment). I also want to go through the Wheeling Tunnel to get a piece of I-70 I'm missing, connect to the Pennsylvania Turnpike at New Stanton for the same reason, and take the new segment of US-219 south of Somerset, but all that needs to be on the trip home because the Wheeling Tunnel is closed westbound for bridge construction on the approach.

Mapmikey

I was supposed to be going to Montreal for the first time in early June for 30th wedding anniversary.  Clearly not going to happen.

A couple work trips (Sept to State College PA and Nov to Oak Ridge TN) may still happen but outside of those it is unlikely I am doing anything overnight for a good while.

I still have plenty of untraveled primary routes in MD, WV and PA that are reachable during day-trips so I'll be working on those a while.  I'll be surprised if I am able to do my annual BBQ chicken run to Oneonta NY this summer.

ozarkman417

I am going down to Arkansas (again) to float the Buffalo River. The river recently re-opened, and I should be able to social distance while on the river.

D-Dey65

My MetroCard will expire at the end of August, so I'm hoping to be able to go back to NYC in the summer.

Is the MTA still taking MetroCards?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: D-Dey65 on May 19, 2020, 02:31:51 PM
My MetroCard will expire at the end of August, so I'm hoping to be able to go back to NYC in the summer.

If you don't make it back by then, within a year of the card's expiration just go to any subway station with an attendant, and they'll give you a new card and transfer the balance to that card, no charge.

1995hoo

Quote from: D-Dey65 on May 19, 2020, 02:31:51 PM

They were as of January (the last time I was in New York). The new OMNY readers were not yet available at all stops and the OMNY card (for people who don't have contactless payment methods available to them) isn't available yet. They've said the MetroCard will remain in use as an option until the OMNY card is available.

I got rather irked last time I was there to discover that while Chambers Street on the 2 and the 3 has the OMNY readers, Park Place doesn't, at least not at the entrance closest to City Hall. The walk from the office to Park Place is a slightly nicer walk than to Chambers Street.

Fulcrum29SMT

Well, initially, my road trip to the US was planned for late August of this year... However, "something" happened before I could buy the plane tickets, as I wanted to, in April.
Instead, I've spent more time with my family, picked up the piano again and have more time to prepare and plan that trip, but still, I was bummed to have to cancel the trip.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.