San Francisco, L.A., Boston and Washington DC will bid for the 2024 Summer Games

Started by bing101, December 17, 2014, 11:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desert Man

Yes! Los Angeles leads the US city list for hosting the 2024 summer Olympics. I'm for a 3rd Olympiad event in L.A.'s history (London had 3 summer Olympics: 1908, 1948 and 2012). I believe L.A. and San Francisco should merge to represent all of Cal. known for great climate and weather to host a Summer olympiad, while Washington DC (the nation's capital) doesn't have enough to land such an event, nor did Boston, and the failed NYC-2012 or Chicago-2016 in the past. The 1984 L.A. and 1996 Atlanta summer Olympics were successful.

Today, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) granted Beijing, China the 2022 Winter Olympics, the first city to host both summer and winter Olympics, the 3rd straight Asian olympics planned (2018 winter in South Korea and 2020 summer in Tokyo, Japan) and the largest city ever to host a winter Olympics event. Congrats Beijing! Just clean up your air quality in 7 years, because in the 2008 Summer Olympics, the world noticed the bad air the athletes and tourists, as well the residents had issues with trying to breathe in heavy August smog. 
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

english si

Quote from: Mike D boy on July 31, 2015, 11:20:52 PMToday, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) granted Beijing, China the 2022 Winter Olympics, the first city to host both summer and winter Olympics, the 3rd straight Asian olympics planned (2018 winter in South Korea and 2020 summer in Tokyo, Japan) and the largest city ever to host a winter Olympics event. Congrats Beijing! Just clean up your air quality in 7 years, because in the 2008 Summer Olympics, the world noticed the bad air the athletes and tourists, as well the residents had issues with trying to breathe in heavy August smog.
You'd almost think FIFA levels of corruption, but the only other bid was Almaty, Kazakhstan (which would at least have had snow).

Dougtone

Quote from: english si on August 01, 2015, 05:05:54 AM
Quote from: Mike D boy on July 31, 2015, 11:20:52 PMToday, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) granted Beijing, China the 2022 Winter Olympics, the first city to host both summer and winter Olympics, the 3rd straight Asian olympics planned (2018 winter in South Korea and 2020 summer in Tokyo, Japan) and the largest city ever to host a winter Olympics event. Congrats Beijing! Just clean up your air quality in 7 years, because in the 2008 Summer Olympics, the world noticed the bad air the athletes and tourists, as well the residents had issues with trying to breathe in heavy August smog.
You'd almost think FIFA levels of corruption, but the only other bid was Almaty, Kazakhstan (which would at least have had snow).

If Almaty won the bid to host in 2022, it would've also been a compact games, as they were touting that all events would be within a 30km radius of the Olympic village. For Beijing, many of the events will be held quite a bit further away from Beijing, plus there's that snow issue. At least Beijing can reuse some of the venues built for the 2008 games.

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Stephane Dumas

Would be cool if Toronto host the 2024 games. They hosted the 2015 Pan-Am games with not too much trouble.

Henry

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on August 03, 2015, 12:52:07 PM
Would be cool if Toronto host the 2024 games. They hosted the 2015 Pan-Am games with not too much trouble.
I'd like to see Toronto host them too. I still remember when Montreal had them back in 1976, when I was six. In retrospect, I thought Philadelphia would've been a more deserving host, seeing that it was the 200th anniversary of the nation's founding, but that might've been too much to put on their plate at the time.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

PHLBOS

Quote from: Henry on August 04, 2015, 11:26:19 AMIn retrospect, I thought Philadelphia would've been a more deserving host, seeing that it was the 200th anniversary of the nation's founding, but that might've been too much to put on their plate at the time.
Philadelphia can't even effectively plan for a weekend visit from the Pope (this September) without practically barricading much of Center City and shutting off most of its transit system (creating a big-time inconvenience towards those that need to work on weekends and use transit).  How would the city be able to handle the crush of people for Olympic events?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

SSOWorld

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 04, 2015, 04:46:18 PM
Quote from: Henry on August 04, 2015, 11:26:19 AMIn retrospect, I thought Philadelphia would've been a more deserving host, seeing that it was the 200th anniversary of the nation's founding, but that might've been too much to put on their plate at the time.
Philadelphia can't even effectively plan for a weekend visit from the Pope (this September) without practically barricading much of Center City and shutting off most of its transit system (creating a big-time inconvenience towards those that need to work on weekends and use transit).  How would the city be able to handle the crush of people for Olympic events?
and multiple heads of state.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

triplemultiplex

I will only ever support a US city hosting the Olympics again if they don't have to build any bullshit new stadiums.  A city like LA has absolutely tons of venues to hold events in right now.  They should not have to build shit.  Between all the pro and college sports venues in the area, including a likely new NFL facility by then, the IOC can suck it if they want some new-fangled waste of money just for two weeks of sports no one gives a shit about.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

english si

You can convert stadiums to other purposes, you know?

West Ham will use the Olympic Stadium in Stratford (paying through the nose for the privilege as unlike the US, the UK doesn't spend money to build stadiums for profit making businesses - other than the IOC and their ilk, where then the money is recouped by moving a sports team there). But there's already been a ton of stuff there anyway - various athletic meets and so on.

Rothman

Quote from: english si on August 07, 2015, 03:32:54 AM

West Ham will use the Olympic Stadium in Stratford (paying through the nose for the privilege as unlike the US, the UK doesn't spend money to build stadiums for profit making businesses - other than the IOC and their ilk, where then the money is recouped by moving a sports team there). But there's already been a ton of stuff there anyway - various athletic meets and so on.

Reminds me of the Egg in Albany, NY.  Spent tens of millions on it and it has never been that great of a performance venue.  I doubt it's made its money back.

So, it's nice when they get repurposed, but even with that, the level that the facility is used may still raise eyebrows.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bing101

wanderer2575

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on September 19, 2015, 09:21:04 PM
I spotted this article from the Detroit Free Press from August 17 about olympics in Detroit on budget.
http://www.freep.com/story/money/business/michigan/2015/08/17/detroit-budget-olympics-bid-technically-possible/31462493/

"Since Boston withdrew, there has been growing interest in proposals that emphasize cost efficiency and 'fiscal responsibility' in contrast to the extravagance of recent games such as the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, said to cost $51 billion."

Not by the International Olympic Committee, unless they've changed their ways in the past couple years.  They want all new, high-priced stuff (paid for entirely by the host) and they don't give a damn whether it can be reused later.  And they don't want to be the ones reusing it.

Read Dan Wetzel's 10/01/2014 column, "Why No One Wants To Host the 2022 Olympics."  Obviously a little outdated now, but he makes the point that the only candidates who didn't withdraw from bidding for the 2022 Olympics "are countries where actual citizens aren't allowed a real say in things."  He ended the column with a real zinger:  "So China or Kazakhstan it is, the last two suckers on earth willing to step up to this carnival barker.  One lucky nation will win.  The other will host the 2022 Winter Olympics."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-no-one-wants-to-host-the-2022-olympics-225450509.html

wanderer2575

You can convert and repurpose all you want.  The question is:  Will there be enough demand and use to sustain the facilities?

bing101

Yes Los Angeles is one case where the Olympic stadium the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum has been converted into the home football stadium for the L.A. Rams, USC Football and the L.A. Raiders. And yes the Los Angeles Rams Will use the L.A. Coliseum until the Inglewood Stadium is open.

http://abc7.com/sports/la-coliseum-prepares-to-host-nfl-games-in-2016/1158491/
https://news.usc.edu/88002/usc-reveals-preliminary-plan-to-renovate-la-coliseum/

http://www.ibtimes.com/la-2024-olympics-los-angeles-proposes-ucla-dorms-athlete-housing-save-costs-2280468

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/opinion-la/la-ol-olympic-village-los-angeles-20160125-story.html

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-ucla-2024-olympics-20160125-story.html

kkt

If it's so easy to convert stadiums to other uses, why doesn't the IOC demonstrate that by allowing host cities to convert existing stadiums for use in Olympic games?

Brandon

Quote from: kkt on January 26, 2016, 03:35:58 PM
If it's so easy to convert stadiums to other uses, why doesn't the IOC demonstrate that by allowing host cities to convert existing stadiums for use in Olympic games?

Because the IOC wants everything as new as possible, and is little more than a bunch of corrupt pigs that somehow makes Illinois politics look good.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

bing101

http://www.connectsports.com/feature/what-happens-to-olympic-venues-after-the-games/

According to this article Atlanta the site of the 1996 Olympics have been reused for the Atlanta Braves and Georgia Tech Swimming teams

TheStranger

Quote from: Brandon on January 26, 2016, 03:41:17 PM

Because the IOC wants everything as new as possible, and is little more than a bunch of corrupt pigs that somehow makes Illinois politics look good.

This just brings in mind the colossal waste that is the collection of venues built for the Athens summer Olympics in 2004:

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/2004-athens-olympics-venues-today-2015-7#the-beach-volleyball-center-where-weeds-are-growing-through-the-sand-1
Chris Sampang

english si

Quote from: kkt on January 26, 2016, 03:35:58 PMIf it's so easy to convert stadiums to other uses, why doesn't the IOC demonstrate that by allowing host cities to convert existing stadiums for use in Olympic games?
Like Lords in 2012? ExCeL and the O2 (I mean 'North Greenwich Arena' for sponsorship reasons) had different main functions before and after the Olympics  - an exhibition centre and a concert venue respectively - though both have held sporting events on a regular basis before and after the games themselves (though the O2 only started as a warm up, IIRC).

Paris' almost successful bid for 2012 (it was very close in the final vote and they came first in all the previous rounds of the run-off voting) was only going to use existing stadia, though the main one was built for the '98 World Cup so met the standards that FIFA/IOC want for corporate sponsorship, etc (a key reason why England can't get major soccer championships) that might not be the case for LA.

The City of Manchester stadium (Commonwealth Games main stadium, now Man City's soccer stadium) was easily converted and the main reason why the stadium for the 2012 games isn't easily converted was because they hadn't worked out the 'legacy' usage until last year and so couldn't prepare for it (the saga is a big cock up)! What's odd is that they let London get away with not having a concrete exit plan for the main stadium - the IOC have learnt from Atlanta's venues and don't want to see it happen again (though, of course, the issue London had was too many options for its continued use). Munich '78's stadium is used for soccer, London '48's stadium was used for soccer first and foremost for 77 years ('23 to '00 when it was rebuilt)

London made a profit when you factor in tourism, regeneraton and legacy benefits. Sochi cost way more but mostly as the Russians saw hosting as a chance to show off first and foremost, whereas London saw it as having a really good sporting event first and foremost.
Quote from: Brandon on January 26, 2016, 03:41:17 PMBecause the IOC wants everything as new as possible
Which is why they ended the 2004 marathon at the 108 year-old stadium in Athens? Or used a 199 year-old stadium in London for the archery?
Quoteand is little more than a bunch of corrupt pigs that somehow makes Illinois politics look good.
They aren't quite as bad as FIFA, but they aren't great. Their policy on tax is just wrong, as is their aggressive branding rules.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: bing101 on January 26, 2016, 07:19:06 PM

http://www.connectsports.com/feature/what-happens-to-olympic-venues-after-the-games/

According to this article Atlanta the site of the 1996 Olympics have been reused for the Atlanta Braves and Georgia Tech Swimming teams

The Braves are moving out after the upcoming season.  20 years, while short for baseball, is not an unheard-of lifespan for a professional sports facility these days.   

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: wanderer2575 on January 26, 2016, 08:29:23 AMRead Dan Wetzel's 10/01/2014 column, "Why No One Wants To Host the 2022 Olympics."  Obviously a little outdated now, but he makes the point that the only candidates who didn't withdraw from bidding for the 2022 Olympics "are countries where actual citizens aren't allowed a real say in things."  He ended the column with a real zinger:  "So China or Kazakhstan it is, the last two suckers on earth willing to step up to this carnival barker.  One lucky nation will win.  The other will host the 2022 Winter Olympics."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-no-one-wants-to-host-the-2022-olympics-225450509.html

Had Oslo not withdrew its bid, it surely would have gotten the 2022 Olympics because of a non-written rule of continental rotation. Since they withdrew, they f*cked up that.

Quote from: english si on January 26, 2016, 08:00:53 PMLike Lords in 2012? ExCeL and the O2 (I mean 'North Greenwich Arena' for sponsorship reasons) had different main functions before and after the Olympics  - an exhibition centre and a concert venue respectively - though both have held sporting events on a regular basis before and after the games themselves (though the O2 only started as a warm up, IIRC).

It will be always the North Greenwich Arena for me. If they don't pay me, I don't have to name them.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

wanderer2575

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on January 27, 2016, 12:25:24 PM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on January 26, 2016, 08:29:23 AMRead Dan Wetzel's 10/01/2014 column, "Why No One Wants To Host the 2022 Olympics."  Obviously a little outdated now, but he makes the point that the only candidates who didn't withdraw from bidding for the 2022 Olympics "are countries where actual citizens aren't allowed a real say in things."  He ended the column with a real zinger:  "So China or Kazakhstan it is, the last two suckers on earth willing to step up to this carnival barker.  One lucky nation will win.  The other will host the 2022 Winter Olympics."

Had Oslo not withdrew its bid, it surely would have gotten the 2022 Olympics because of a non-written rule of continental rotation. Since they withdrew, they f*cked up that.

Did you even read the column?  You totally miss the point.  Oslo doesn't care whether it may have been the front-runner.  They ended up rejecting it because the majority of its citizens opposed the notion of spending 11 figures to build all-new everything, needed or not, sustainable in the future or not, just to satisfy the IOC's whims.  The difference between Oslo, vs. China and Kazakhstan, is that the government of Oslo gives its citizens a say and followed their wishes.

The Nature Boy

Didn't Atlanta benefit greatly from the Summer Olympics?

In the US, it's only worth the investment if you're an up and coming metro area that could use a boost in international profile. Boston, SF, LA and DC certainly didn't need the Olympics. Atlanta in 1996 was an example of the right place at the right time.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.