News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Delaware

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmoore952

Quote from: elsmere241 on November 11, 2023, 04:05:20 PM
I don't know what the Rollins building is technicially called now.  (And I work for New Castle County, even.)  Greenville would work at least as well as Fairfax for a control city, probably better than Elsmere.  DelDOT is so scattershot with its signage that the fact that they didn't just carbon-copy this sign is significant enough, but I have no idea why they picked Elsmere.

I would like to know why Newport is a solo control city in both directions on 141, besides that fact that it's incorporated and 141 goes right on top of it.  Most traffic in either direction isn't getting off there.

Well, I googled it (Rollings Building) prior to my previous post because I wasn't sure either.
Looking at the results more carefully, it appears it has gone through a number of name changes in the last 20 years or so, but the latest result I saw was from 2023 (in -- seriously -- an article about ugly buildings). Called it the Rollins Building Heliport.

My personal opinion is that the building, while never beautiful in the classic sense, was much more appealing to me when it was white. To me it got very ugly when it was painted brown (2000s?). I vaguely remember it being built in the early 70s.

I have to say, the Google results were confusing and not dated very well. Interesting and related, here was an article in the Washington Post newspaper today about Google paying big bucks to be the default browser on cell phones, when it may not be the best browser.

tmoore952

Quote from: elsmere241 on November 11, 2023, 04:05:20 PM
I don't know what the Rollins building is technicially called now.  (And I work for New Castle County, even.)  Greenville would work at least as well as Fairfax for a control city, probably better than Elsmere.  DelDOT is so scattershot with its signage that the fact that they didn't just carbon-copy this sign is significant enough, but I have no idea why they picked Elsmere.

I would like to know why Newport is a solo control city in both directions on 141, besides that fact that it's incorporated and 141 goes right on top of it.  Most traffic in either direction isn't getting off there.

I can't really venture an answer to your last question because I am rarely up there any more, and even when I was going up there frequently, I was never going to or through Newport. I've probably been in Newport less than 10 times in 50 years. But if you didn't use Newport, would you use New Castle going SB, and who knows what (what we have been discussing) going NB?

I can say that my father worked for DuPont in Newport in the 50s. Later on, he went to Edgemoor.

ixnay

Quote from: tmoore952 on November 11, 2023, 02:17:28 PM
Quote from: elsmere241 on November 11, 2023, 09:29:38 AM
Now that you mention it, Greenville would make more sense as a control city.  And no, Prices Corner and Fairfax are not incorporated.  (Neither is Greenville, but it's more identifiable as a place.)  I never quite know what DelDOT is thinking.
[E]xplaining to out-of-state people where I grew up, to those who know the area but not well, I always mention the Rolllns Building which was about half a mile due west of where I lived. Everyone seems to remember that building if they have seen it. It is across the street from the Fairfax Shopping Center, which is what I think of when I see "Fairfax" as a control city.

Now that I live in Baltimore-DC area, I have had several occasions on airplane flights to/from New England cities to fly near Wilmington at altitude, and that Rollins Building is very prominent from the air, being on the Piedmont which is itself a couple hundred feet elevation above Wilmington, and also very isolated (nothing remotely challenges its height in that area with except some radio towers (e.g., WDEL/WSTW and WJBR) which you can't see well from the air).

It's also prominent if you are driving north on I-495 and bravely glance to your left at the apex of the Christina River bridge.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7262821,-75.5322545,3a,15y,352.05h,91.59t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s10njWZKSeHTK505FyaKlUg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

tmoore952

Quote from: ixnay on November 11, 2023, 08:26:32 PM
Now that you mention it, Greenville would make more sense as a control city.  And no, Prices Corner and Fairfax are not incorporated.  (Neither is Greenville, but it's more identifiable as a place.)  I never quite know what DelDOT is thinking.
[E]xplaining to out-of-state people where I grew up, to those who know the area but not well, I always mention the Rolllns Building which was about half a mile due west of where I lived. Everyone seems to remember that building if they have seen it. It is across the street from the Fairfax Shopping Center, which is what I think of when I see "Fairfax" as a control city.

Now that I live in Baltimore-DC area, I have had several occasions on airplane flights to/from New England cities to fly near Wilmington at altitude, and that Rollins Building is very prominent from the air, being on the Piedmont which is itself a couple hundred feet elevation above Wilmington, and also very isolated (nothing remotely challenges its height in that area with except some radio towers (e.g., WDEL/WSTW and WJBR) which you can't see well from the air).

It's also prominent if you are driving north on I-495 and bravely glance to your left at the apex of the Christina River bridge.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7262821,-75.5322545,3a,15y,352.05h,91.59t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s10njWZKSeHTK505FyaKlUg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

Also from the Delaware Memorial Bridge which is the same view in the same direction but a couple miles farther away (in other words, from the DMB, the 495 bridge is in that viewline too). As a driver, easier to see driving westbound on the DMB (you would look about 45 degrees to the right) but for obvious reasons I wouldn't recommend doing that in traffic.

As a youngster, before I was driving, I was driven around these locations often enough that I knew where to look to see things like that. Never understood until later why my parents (the drivers) didn't know these things.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

ixnay

Quote from: tmoore952 on November 12, 2023, 05:32:46 PM

Also from the Delaware Memorial Bridge which is the same view in the same direction but a couple miles farther away (in other words, from the DMB, the 495 bridge is in that viewline too). As a driver, easier to see driving westbound on the DMB (you would look about 45 degrees to the right) but for obvious reasons I wouldn't recommend doing that in traffic.

Which is why I included "bravely" in my Christina River bridge reference.  Iykwim.  :cool:

Down in Nassau, a house has been moved to make way for the New Road extension that will take New Road under DE 1.  The project includes a pair of roundabouts.

https://www.capegazette.com/article/house-moved-make-way-new-nassau-road/267585

tmoore952

Quote from: ixnay on November 17, 2023, 09:00:25 PM
Quote from: tmoore952 on November 12, 2023, 05:32:46 PM

Which is why I included "bravely" in my Christina River bridge reference.  Iykwim.  :cool:

Down in Nassau, a house has been moved to make way for the New Road extension that will take New Road under DE 1.  The project includes a pair of roundabouts.

https://www.capegazette.com/article/house-moved-make-way-new-nassau-road/267585

I know what you meant. I can mention that, too (and I would also argue that I SHOULD mention it).

tmoore952

It occurred to me earlier this evening (while talking to my brother on a phone call) that this past week marked the 60th anniversary of the opening of the Delaware Turnpike/Maryland Northeast Expressway.

There was a ceremony (ribbon cutting and unveiling of a replica Mason-Dixon crownstone) at the MD-DE line on Nov 14, 1963, with President Kennedy, Delaware Governor Elbert Carvel, and Maryland Governor Millard Tydings. First traffic allowed at midnight Nov. 15.

Eight days later (Nov 22), President Kennedy was assassinated. Entire highway renamed in JFK's honor in December.

(side note - I remembered this when my brother asked about the I-95 bridge over the Susquehanna River -- which is called the Tydings Bridge).

(note - identical post placed in Maryland thread)

74/171FAN

Alex4897

Quote from: 74/171FAN on November 21, 2023, 02:35:39 PM
(For DE 20)  US 113 AT SR 20 GRADE SEPARATED INTERSECTION has been awarded

Plans for this can be found here - [DIRECT PDF DOWNLOAD]

The plan set re-confirms that DE 24 will be routed onto the bypass then back down US 113, and confirms that old DE 24 through downtown Millsboro will be signed as Business 24. Interestingly, this will also be signed as Exit 12 off US 113.

👉😎👉

ixnay

Quote from: Alex4897 on November 21, 2023, 07:14:11 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on November 21, 2023, 02:35:39 PM
(For DE 20)  US 113 AT SR 20 GRADE SEPARATED INTERSECTION has been awarded

Plans for this can be found here - [DIRECT PDF DOWNLOAD]

The plan set re-confirms that DE 24 will be routed onto the bypass then back down US 113, and confirms that old DE 24 through downtown Millsboro will be signed as Business 24. Interestingly, this will also be signed as Exit 12 off US 113.

Precise sign measurments.  Wow.

froggie

Quote from: Alex4897 on November 21, 2023, 07:14:11 PMInterestingly, this will also be signed as Exit 12 off US 113.

Makes sense...it's 12 miles from the Maryland line...

Alps

Quote from: froggie on November 25, 2023, 06:12:03 PM
Quote from: Alex4897 on November 21, 2023, 07:14:11 PMInterestingly, this will also be signed as Exit 12 off US 113.

Right, but are there any other numbered exits on 113?

74/171FAN

Quote from: Alps on November 25, 2023, 08:47:39 PM
Quote from: froggie on November 25, 2023, 06:12:03 PM

Right, but are there any other numbered exits on 113?

I presume there will be long-term, but there are not any now.

The Ghostbuster

This new interchange will be the first interchange along US 113 in the state of Delaware, save for the one at its northern terminus with DE 1. 113 used to continue up DE 1 to end at US 13 in Dover, but was truncated in 2004.

Dough4872

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 25, 2023, 09:00:25 PM
This new interchange will be the first interchange along US 113 in the state of Delaware, save for the one at its northern terminus with DE 1. 113 used to continue up DE 1 to end at US 13 in Dover, but was truncated in 2004.

Construction should begin next year on an interchange between US 113 and DE 18/DE 404 in Georgetown. There are also plans to build an interchange at US 113 and DE 16 in Ellendale.

74/171FAN

(Affects DE 41, and the presentation mentions former DE 34)  Bridges 1-162, 1-183, 1-615 and 1-616 over Hyde Run Virtual Workshop

Dough4872

Quote from: 74/171FAN on November 27, 2023, 08:35:58 PM
(Affects DE 41, and the presentation mentions former DE 34)  Bridges 1-162, 1-183, 1-615 and 1-616 over Hyde Run Virtual Workshop

I don't know why DelDOT would refer to a road by a designation it decommissioned a few years ago. Almost seems like they should have just left DE 34 stay.

Alex4897

Quote from: Dough4872 on November 27, 2023, 08:39:22 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on November 27, 2023, 08:35:58 PM

I don't know why DelDOT would refer to a road by a designation it decommissioned a few years ago. Almost seems like they should have just left DE 34 stay.

This presentation wasn't put together by DelDOT, this was done by one of their design contractors, Pennoni. I used to work there and actually did the 3D modelling for the example bridge replacement graphics on slide 13!
👉😎👉

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 74/171FAN on November 30, 2023, 11:55:41 AM
Statewide - DelDOT Honored for Reducing Severe Crashes at Intersections Using All-Way Stop Control

Quote2023 National Roadway Safety Awards recognize innovations to protect pedestrians, cyclists and motorists as pandemic spike in U.S. road fatalities continues largely unabated.

How is an All Way Stop intersection innovative?

Tonytone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 30, 2023, 12:07:59 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on November 30, 2023, 11:55:41 AM
Statewide - DelDOT Honored for Reducing Severe Crashes at Intersections Using All-Way Stop Control

Quote2023 National Roadway Safety Awards recognize innovations to protect pedestrians, cyclists and motorists as pandemic spike in U.S. road fatalities continues largely unabated.

How is an All Way Stop intersection innovative?

QuoteBetween 2017 and 2020, DelDOT converted 20 low-volume intersections statewide, mostly in rural and suburban areas, from two-way to all-way stops. In the two years after the change (2021 and 2022), the number of crashes at those intersections fell by 71 percent overall. Fatal crashes dropped by 75 percent, while crashes with injuries plummeted by 90 percent.

The only reason they were awarded is because the data showed a decrease in crashes due to them implementing all way stops at "low volume intersections"

They didn't do anything but add stop signs, to already low volume intersections, we're not talking about Limestone Rd & Route 7 here, basically this is on the level of a good attendance award.
Promoting Cities since 1998!

74/171FAN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.