News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Funniest street names

Started by J Route Z, September 15, 2014, 12:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEK Inc.

This made it to the front page of reddit.

Take the road less traveled.

tidecat

Quote from: vtk on June 06, 2015, 06:57:20 PM
Quote from: KG909 on June 06, 2015, 02:46:24 AM

Yeah they should probably update that one.
But only part of the street should be renamed, so that Bruce Jenner could turn into Caitlyn Jenner.
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

jakeroot

Quote from: tidecat on June 06, 2015, 11:24:25 PM

But only part of the street should be renamed, so that Bruce Jenner could turn into Caitlyn Jenner.

Fuckin hell. That's genius.

sipes23

thenetwork

Quote from: tidecat on June 06, 2015, 11:24:25 PM

I just say call it Jenner Ln.  Then the driver, resident, etc... can decide if the road is/was named for Bruce/Caitlin.

KG909

I found it while browsing Facebook. It was on a news article about wether keeping it Bruce or changing the name to Caitlyn.
~Fuccboi

dfwmapper

Such a retarded conversation. It was named in recognition of what was done by Bruce and should remain named that way. Just because she is no longer Bruce doesn't change the history of what was done by Bruce. Caitlyn can perhaps get her own street someday.

vtk

Quote from: dfwmapper on June 08, 2015, 01:19:08 AM
Such a retarded conversation.

That is your opinion / interpretation of the situation.  Obviously not everyone agrees with you on this or you wouldn't have to say it's "retarded".  (You actually don't have to say it's "retarded" anyway, and in fact there are a few problems with doing so.)  I would proceed to explain why I think you are wrong, except this thread is not the place for sorting out this disagreement, as it is off-topic and may be considered political in nature.  I hope you don't feel the need to further assert your view on the matter.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

dfwmapper

I'm specifically referring to a conversation about renaming the street, not a broader conversation about the the person. And going off the statements of the person in question and other people in similar situations, they want to have the correct names and pronouns used for any particular moment being discussed - what happened as Bruce stays as Bruce, what happens as Caitlyn stays as Caitlyn. The street was named in recognition of things Bruce did, and that history didn't change just because Bruce doesn't exist anymore.

empirestate

What's more important, of course, is that "Bruce Jenner Lane" isn't a particularly funny street name.

NWI_Irish96

Marshall County, IN, has A Road
Monroe County, IN, has That Road
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

vtk

Quote from: dfwmapper on June 08, 2015, 11:58:24 AM
... for any particular moment being discussed ... what happened as Bruce stays as Bruce, what happens as Caitlyn stays as Caitlyn. ... Bruce doesn't exist anymore.

That is your opinion / interpretation of the situation.  Not everyone agrees with this framework of ideas. 
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

roadman65

Compare Bruce to Caitlin as the artist John Cougar, to John Cougar Mellencamp, to recently used name John Mellencamp.  Problem solved.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Avalanchez71

jbnv

Quote from: dfwmapper on June 08, 2015, 01:19:08 AM
It was named in recognition of what was done by Bruce and should remain named that way. Just because she is no longer Bruce doesn't change the history of what was done by Bruce.
Considering the cross street is named for Jim Thorpe, I presume that the streets in this area are named for Olympic athletes, gold medalists in particular. Thus the logical thing to do is to keep the street named as it is, and give Caitlyn Jenner her own street once she wins her own gold medal.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Big John

I did grow up on the most cautious street - Careful Drive

SignGeek101

What about this?

Not that funny I guess, but still. "Cactus Jack's Place" sounds like a restaurant, and "Jack Blick" sounds like "Jack Black".

Jack Blick is named after John Oliver "Jack"  Blick, a WWII pilot in the Royal Canadian Air Force

Cactus Jack could be named after Mick Foley, a WWE wrestler. But who knows?

peterj920

Just north of Mischicot, WI  there is an Assman Rd.  It's extremely hard to get a picture of the sign because they are frequently stolen.  Here's a screenshot on google maps, the sign is put on a high pole, but since this sign was put up, it was stolen again.

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.25497,-87.64455,3a,15y,4.24h,92.55t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sVjqwCp5s3EvY3tnl12MrBA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

TEG24601

They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

TheCatalyst31

The great combination of Lott and Butz in Stephenson County, IL.

hm insulators

Last week I was driving up a stretch of 7th Avenue in Phoenix that I seldom use and noticed a sign to a side street called Why Worry Lane.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

CNGL-Leudimin

I read in another thread that Calhoun County, Michigan, names its East-West rural roads in such a way that the roads immediately adjacent to Division Drive are named A Drive North and A Drive South :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

bing101

Quote from: TheCatalyst31 on June 23, 2015, 12:40:19 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_Butz

Butz Rd is named after Earl Butz [/font][/size]Secretary of Agriculture[/font] During the Nixon and Ford Administrations.

Rothman

Quote from: bing101 on June 25, 2015, 10:56:19 AM
Quote from: TheCatalyst31 on June 23, 2015, 12:40:19 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_Butz

Butz Rd is named after Earl Butz [/font][/size]Secretary of Agriculture[/font] During the Nixon and Ford Administrations.

Eh, I still picked on the guy in grade school.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.