News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Redundant Street Names

Started by bassoon1986, September 21, 2011, 07:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassoon1986

I'm going to snag a picture this week of where I'm talking about, but do any of you know of street names that are redundant in name or direction? For example, where I live in Denton texas, all the streets have directions with the name (W Oak St, N Elm St...) if they cross the streets of the downtown square. US 380 for example is University Ave across town and is E University and W University on either side of Locust St. However there is apparently a N. North Texas Blvd  :-D It's only for a block because North Texas runs mainly south of Hickory, but for the one block between W Hickory and W. Oak St it's considered North. It doesn't show on Google Maps and the satellite still shows the old University of North Texas street signs, but I'll post a picture of the present signage later

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=33.215591,-97.155039&spn=0.003303,0.004823&t=m&z=18&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=33.2157,-97.15504&panoid=zn8r-FpPHWMZdr8Ed98B_w&cbp=12,115.95,,0,-0.3

pianocello

S. South Chicago St in Chicago runs diagonal (NW-SE) in the South Side, parallel to the Skyway. I'm pretty sure nobody uses the word "south" twice, but the signs do: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=41.765806,-87.605538&spn=0.000064,0.054932&t=m&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=41.765883,-87.605558&panoid=DT1cWovuOYrVv-l2KkK1Hg&cbp=12,9.28,,0,1.9&z=15
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Bryant5493

These aren't necessarily reudundant, but somewhat relate to the topic: in Atlanta there's a Parkway Drive and a Boulevard Drive.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

hbelkins

I always thought "Broadway Street" was redundant.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Quote from: Bryant5493 on September 21, 2011, 10:09:14 PM
These aren't necessarily reudundant, but somewhat relate to the topic: in Atlanta there's a Parkway Drive and a Boulevard Drive.

Similarly, Toronto has an Avenue Road.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NE2

The ultimate in suffixes is probably the former Charles Street Avenue Road in Baltimore.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Bryant5493

Quote from: NE2 on September 21, 2011, 11:06:24 PM
The ultimate in suffixes is probably the former Charles Street Avenue Road in Baltimore.

Really? LOL

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

UptownRoadGeek

Louisiana Avenue Pkwy in New Orleans.

TheStranger

Oak Avenue Parkway in Folsom, although I think it was originally basically an upgrade/extension to Oak Avenue.

El Camino Avenue technically, in Sacramento (which translates to "The Avenue Road").

Chris Sampang

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Street Road (Pa 132) NE of Philly.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Kacie Jane

Slightly closer to what the OP was talking about, Seattle has both a E. Green Lake Way N. and a W. Green Lake Way N.

Also, Bellingham has a North Street, divided into W North Street and E North Street.

huskeroadgeek

Quote from: hbelkins on September 21, 2011, 10:15:15 PM
I've always wondered about that too-not necessarily sure that it is redundant, but that there is not consistency in how it is named. I've seen Broadway Street, Avenue, Boulevard, and sometimes just "Broadway". I don't think I've ever seen "Broadway Way" though.

mjb2002

A long time ago, before the emergency 911 system, the Town of Williston, S.C. used to have a WEST MAIN ST and a EAST MAIN ST.

Also, there is an AIKEN RD just west of the City of Aiken, S.C. in the county of Aiken. Also a BEECH ISLAND AV in Beech Island, a SOUTH AIKEN BLVD and a SOUTH AIKEN LN right at -- yep -- South Aiken High School. Also, a WILLISTON WAY in the Williston zip code boundary (29853) as well as a BARNWELL ST (although in Williston) in Barnwell County. Also, an ALLENDALE-FAIRFAX HY that goes through Allendale-Fairfax High School. Also, an EDGEFIELD RD in Edgefield County (a continuation of the street name on the Aiken County side of the City of North Augusta). Also, a RIDGE SPRING HY in the Ridge Spring zip code boundary (29129) of Saluda County. A WAGENER RD in the Wagener zip code area (29164); a SALLEY RD in the Salley zip code area (29137) of Aiken AND Orangeburg counties; a HILDA RD in the Hilda, S.C. town limits; a NORTH RD in the North, South Carolina town limits; a SPRINGFIELD RD in the Springfield town limits; a NEESES HY in the Neeses town limits; a WINDSOR RD and a NORTH WINDSOR RD in Windsor; a PINE LOG RD and EAST PINE LOG RD in Aiken; a POWDER HOUSE RD and an OLD POWDER HOUSE RD in Aiken; and a WHISKEY RD, an OLD WHISKEY RD and a SOUTH WHISKEY RD in New Ellenton.

Roadgeek Adam

Signage on PA 284 in Buttonwood has [RT 284 HWY] signage.

Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Ian

Much of PA 252 is called Newtown Street Road.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Brandon

Springfield, IL has both a North Grand Avenue (NE or NW) and a South Grand Avenue (SE or SW).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

BamaZeus

My ex-gf lived on 31st Avenue Way.  To this day I don't understand how it got named like that.

Coelacanth

Quote from: huskeroadgeek on September 22, 2011, 01:21:22 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on September 21, 2011, 10:15:15 PM
I've always wondered about that too-not necessarily sure that it is redundant, but that there is not consistency in how it is named. I've seen Broadway Street, Avenue, Boulevard, and sometimes just "Broadway". I don't think I've ever seen "Broadway Way" though.
I live on Broadway Avenue. If you take the Broadway Avenue Bridge across the river, you find yourself on Broadway Street, which intersects Broadway Road.

74/171FAN

I guess I beat our forummates from Atlanta confused over how to handle all the different variations of streets named Peachtree(and the Doraville Area is not any better than downtown).
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Scott5114

There's a Boulevard Street in Edmond, OK.

Goldsby, OK has a bit of a conundrum going on with the name "Ladd", as an important landmark on the east edge of the town is the old one-room Ladd Schoolhouse. Both streets that intersect there are "Ladd Road", with the east west road being "East Ladd Road" (switching to West Ladd where it crosses SH-74) and the north-south road being "South Ladd Road" (theoretically switching to "North Ladd Road" where it crosses Center, but I think that point it curves and assumes a different name). The intersection is skewed due to I-35 being built right through it, so East Ladd and South Ladd technically run concurrent across the bridge. Confusion is mitigated somewhat by East Ladd being referred to as the true "Ladd Road" and the NS road being "South Ladd". None of this is really redundant, just confusing, but serves to add context to this: There was once a "Ladd Road Lane" branching off of South Ladd! It fell outside of Goldsby city limits though so whenever McClain County instituted 911 addressing it was retitled to CR 288, mercifully.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US71

Fayetteville, AR has W Custer Ln which turns a corner and becomes S Custer Ln then turns again to become E Custer Ln
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

algorerhythms

There's a Street Road in Allegany County, MD, that passes over I-68. For a while, Google Maps abbreviated its name to "St Rd". The math nerd in me also likes its close neighbor Tensor Lane.

apeman33

Garden City, Kansas, has a Terrace Place.

Joplin at one time had a part of, I think it was 26th St., named after Gabby Street and was called Gabby Street Boulevard. It was eventually changed back.

deathtopumpkins

I feel like this has been discussed before...

Ellizabeth City, NC has a Road Street (which Google annoyingly abbreviates "Rd St").
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.