News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Pennsylvania

Started by Alex, March 07, 2009, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LilianaUwU

Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 08, 2024, 04:30:47 PMIt looks like they replaced an old rickety one-lane bridge with a new look-alike one-lane bridge.
Then again, does Pond Eddy really have enough traffic to warrant more than one lane?
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

D-Dey65

Quote from: LilianaUwU on April 08, 2024, 07:26:36 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 08, 2024, 04:30:47 PMIt looks like they replaced an old rickety one-lane bridge with a new look-alike one-lane bridge.
Then again, does Pond Eddy really have enough traffic to warrant more than one lane?
All the other roads there are two lanes... on both sides of the Delaware. Two makes more sense, and is sufficient. Nobody is requesting a super-highway here.

BTW, I was originally going to post this on the Bridges board, but I couldn't find any existing thread worth connecting the message to. My other option was the New York board, but there's a lot more messages there than in Pennsylvania.

Rothman

Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 08, 2024, 04:30:47 PMI just discovered this while sorting out pictures of Sullivan County, New York, and other images related to the Catskills and vicinity. What the hell is up with the replacement for the Pond Eddy Bridge?
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Pond_Eddy_Bridge_construction.jpg

It looks like they replaced an old rickety one-lane bridge with a new look-alike one-lane bridge.

One word: SHPO.  And, one lane is all that's needed.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 08, 2024, 04:30:47 PMI just discovered this while sorting out pictures of Sullivan County, New York, and other images related to the Catskills and vicinity. What the hell is up with the replacement for the Pond Eddy Bridge?
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Pond_Eddy_Bridge_construction.jpg

It looks like they replaced an old rickety one-lane bridge with a new look-alike one-lane bridge.

Maybe they're gonna rehab the original after the new one is open and then make them both one-way? That's all I can think.

roadman65

What's more interesting is how this type of intersection is allowed. https://maps.app.goo.gl/kNnaaFpgckh4CEME6

On another subject, does this traffic signal's through movements ever turn red?
https://maps.app.goo.gl/DuGmjGH8XAZQKBud9
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

74/171FAN

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on April 09, 2024, 12:59:22 AMMaybe they're gonna rehab the original after the new one is open and then make them both one-way? That's all I can think.

No, the old bridge has all but collapsed at this point.  Only one lane is needed as probably less than 20 people live back there.

Quote from: 74/171FAN on April 06, 2024, 07:21:37 PM(For PA 403)  PennDOT - District 9 News: State Route 403-Tire Hill Road closed from Ferndale Avenue to Greenhouse Park until further notice

QuoteThe Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) has closed State Route 403-Tire Hill Road from Ferndale Avenue, SR 985 to Greenhouse Park, effective immediately and until further notice.

PennDOT crews in the area observed damage due to heavy rain and high water in addition to the existing minor settlement and cracking of the roadway. PennDOT is currently working to notify the local school districts and their transportation companies, as well as the township of the closure.

Work had begun this week in the area as part of the Route 403 Corridor Improvements Project, which includes about 13 miles of the road between Tire Hill and Hooversville with various improvements including pavement preservation, milling, resurfacing, guide rail and drainage upgrades, new signage and pavement markings, new curbing and sidewalks, tree trimming and removal, and upgraded traffic signals.

Motorists are encouraged to "Know Before They Go" by checking conditions on more than 40,000 roadway miles by visiting www.511PA.com. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information, and access to more than 1,000 traffic cameras. 
511PA is also available through a smartphone application for iPhone and Android devices, by calling 5-1-1, or by following regional Twitter alerts.
Follow PennDOT on X and like the department on Facebook and Instagram.

(For PA 53 and PA 403)  PennDOT - District 9 News: PennDOT updates the status of three roads in Cambria and Somerset counties damaged by heavy rain and stormwater
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

ABXY

Was there any explanation why of two spur routes of PA 36 (236 and 336, while keeping the utterly useless 436), PA 968 and PA 952 were decommissioned around 1984 in Jefferson County?

There was also PA 364 in Centre/Union County but I assumed PennDOT realized no one goes up to Orviston and so that was deleted too.

74/171FAN

Quote from: ABXY on April 16, 2024, 01:57:35 AMWas there any explanation why of two spur routes of PA 36 (236 and 336, while keeping the utterly useless 436), PA 968 and PA 952 were decommissioned around 1984 in Jefferson County?

There was also PA 364 in Centre/Union County but I assumed PennDOT realized no one goes up to Orviston and so that was deleted too.

I did not see anything on Jeff Kitsko's site beyond the date of decommissioning.

Having stated that, I would not call PA 436 useless as it does serve as a southwest bypass of Downtown Punxsutawney.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

bmitchelf

Quote from: 74/171FAN on April 09, 2024, 06:40:39 AM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on April 09, 2024, 12:59:22 AMMaybe they're gonna rehab the original after the new one is open and then make them both one-way? That's all I can think.

No, the old bridge has all but collapsed at this point.  Only one lane is needed as probably less than 20 people live back there.

The old bridge was demolished in 2018, per the Wikipedia page where that image is found.

ABXY

Quote from: 74/171FAN on April 16, 2024, 07:07:28 AM
Quote from: ABXY on April 16, 2024, 01:57:35 AMWas there any explanation why of two spur routes of PA 36 (236 and 336, while keeping the utterly useless 436), PA 968 and PA 952 were decommissioned around 1984 in Jefferson County?

I did not see anything on Jeff Kitsko's site beyond the date of decommissioning.

Having stated that, I would not call PA 436 useless as it does serve as a southwest bypass of Downtown Punxsutawney.

Oh that is true. Haha.

I do recall 236 having three concurrencies with 36, US 119 and 310 through Punxsutawney so that might of played a part of the "sign salad" issue.

I always thought Penndot could reactivate and truncate 236 at 310 in Anita and have it connect to I-80 at Exit 86 where 310 and 830 once occupied. And 952 reactivated and extended on the old alignment of 236 through Knoxdale. 336 and 968 reactivated as well even if the latter doesn't have an interchange with I-80.

74/171FAN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.