News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

AR 13 (West Searcy Bypass)

Started by capt.ron, June 09, 2015, 02:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt.ron

Looks like the first phase of the AR 13 extension will be open soon. Work is underway from AR 267 where they are working on the intersection (AR 267/13). Barricades are still up but the road looks paved as it climbs the hill just north of the intersection. By AR 36, traffic signals are up but not turned on. AR 13 signs have not been posted yet. According to a news article in the Daily Citizen (Searcy newspaper), a spokesperson said the road should open up sometime in July (I'm betting the last week of the month). Part of the new road has been opened from just north of the Honeyhill Rd / Country Club road intersection to just north of Honey Hill loop. Right now, the alignment that is opened is just 2 lane but I think it will be 2 lane w/ a turn lane when it's finished. The old Honeyhill Road alignment is getting demolished to make more way for the new road. There is plenty of room now if they ever need to 4 lane the road in the future.
Phase 2 looks like they are starting clearing out some ROW for the future road, via images in Google Earth.
Also at AR 36, it looks like they are putting in slip lanes from AR 36 east to AR 13 south, and AR 13 north to AR 36 east. I need to go out and get pics of the project.
And now to my "wishful thinking" part: construct a spur that connects the future AR 13 to Nicholson Road by where W. Country Club road ends.

capt.ron

Construction as of now has slowed to a halt right at AR 36. Otherwise, the new AR 13 alignment (southbound side) begins approx 100 feet south of AR 36 and ends where Honeyhill Rd turns southeast / east towards AR 267. The barricades are "loosely placed" at times so a few have been slipping through. Road that is "barricaded" is definitely driveable (needs 1 layer of asphalt north of the bridge to Honeyhill Rd.). According to the idrivearkansas website, the new section won't open to early 2016  :rolleyes:.
The highway dept. needs to get it in gear and get that road opened! Its warm and dry now but it won't be for long. Put down that 1 layer of asphalt, stripe it, and open that road up!!!

capt.ron

Update [3/22/2016]
Northbound side of new AR 13 is complete from Country Club Rd to AR 36; work is underway at the intersection at AR 36. The old Honey Hill alignment at AR 36 is now decommissioned. Southbound AR 13 is being worked on with new curbs being poured from AR 36 to just past Country Club Rd. The road still needs one more layer of asphalt to bring it level with the curbs. Further south where old Honey Hill Rd turns east-southeast, barricades are still up. Road is being worked on (STILL!!) from the barricades to where new AR13 intersects Honey Hill loop. From that point where it curves southwest and climbs and descends a hill to AR 267 is complete... striped and everything but still barricaded. The road is very wide actually in that area with shoulders about as wide as the traveling lanes.
Remainder of AR 13 from AR 267 to the US 67 freeway is in dire need of a repave job. Pavement is rough and wavy and is in need of widening to match that of the new section north of there.

capt.ron

Update [4/7/2016] New AR 13 signs installed (but covered for now); traffic signal diamond signs placed on AR 36 on both approaches. New AR 36 trailblazer placed on westbound 36 just beyond the intersection along with a new mileage sign for Rosebud / Quitman. Paving near completion (around 95% as of today)... striping remains to be done and should be done next week or week after.

US71

Quote from: capt.ron on April 07, 2016, 04:05:30 PM
Update [4/7/2016] New AR 13 signs installed (but covered for now); traffic signal diamond signs placed on AR 36 on both approaches. New AR 36 trailblazer placed on westbound 36 just beyond the intersection along with a new mileage sign for Rosebud / Quitman. Paving near completion (around 95% as of today)... striping remains to be done and should be done next week or week after.
I totally forgot to check that out when I was in the area.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

capt.ron

Official ribbon cutting ceremony (for phase I) is slated for mid-May. Anyways, JCT 13 signs placed on AR 36 on both east/westbound sides along with signs depicting control towns further south... covered up for now. Traffic light is on and operational on AR 36 / 13. Section just south of the barricades where Honey Hill Rd turns east-southeast is still needing a bit of asphalt. Otherwise, the project is complete.
Phase II, from AR 16 to CW Rd and to US 67 is being worked on and is slated for completion late 2017 according to idrivearkansas. Phase III from AR 16 to  36 I imagine won't open up until 2020 (or later, lol).

capt.ron

Paving is now complete. I just drove to the barricades north of Honey Hill loop and the section surrounded by the pylons is now done. Workers are in the process of laying sod on the southbound side from AR 36 to just south of Country Club Rd.
The road itself is a night and day difference compared to the old Honey Hill alignment.
Of course, I expect the barricades to be in place until the official ribbon cutting ceremony :rolleyes: The paving is DONE though.

capt.ron

Phase I is now open to traffic. Phase II is being worked on. It runs from AR 16 to US 67 via a new alignment from AR 16 to Main St, intersecting N. Bypass Rd and running east to CW Rd. (Old 67W) and then to US 67. It is slated to open in late 2017.
Phase III will connect AR 36 to 16 and complete the Searcy Bypass. I'm betting that section won't open until 2020.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.