News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AvDave829

I hope it helps out but it truly needs to be a limited access highway like north of 66.

bluecountry

Quote from: AvDave829 on September 19, 2021, 08:09:35 PM
I hope it helps out but it truly needs to be a limited access highway like north of 66.
No it doesn't and that's impractical and unreasonable.

AvDave829

Quote from: bluecountry on September 22, 2021, 10:51:43 PM

You would be incorrect. With the amount of volume that that stretch carries and the constant congestion it would make sense. It would be impossible to do it in the current path but it would be nice to have it done one day

hbelkins

Quote from: AvDave829 on September 23, 2021, 01:40:50 PM
Quote from: bluecountry on September 22, 2021, 10:51:43 PM

You would be incorrect. With the amount of volume that that stretch carries and the constant congestion it would make sense. It would be impossible to do it in the current path but it would be nice to have it done one day

Only if it's numbered I-366 with an 85 mph speed limit.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

plain

Update to what was discussed upthread, Hampton approved the temporary ramp closures near the HRBT. After another hurtle, this could come into operation next year.

https://www.wtkr.com/news/hampton-city-council-approves-temporary-closures-of-eastbound-ramps-near-hampton-roads-bridge-tunnel

My mother lives in the Phoebus neighborhood and I often see the gridlock there when I visit, but I still don't like this idea.
Newark born, Richmond bred

sprjus4

^ It's going to cut off access from Downtown Hampton and severely overwhelm the LaSalle interchange.

plain

Agreed. LaSalle (and Armstead Ave in the area) is already fucked during the rush. I can almost understand closing the Mallory St entrance but the Settlers Landing one too??

LM117

Quote from: LM117 on September 09, 2019, 08:18:15 AM
A little heads up for those going through Eastville...

https://shoredailynews.com/headlines/eastville-tops-in-state-in-percentage-of-law-enforcement-revenues/

This post came to mind when I saw an interesting piece in a recent article.

https://www.easternshorepost.com/2021/09/16/eastville-to-purchase-bingo-hall-to-help-with-fire-company-finances/

QuoteEastville's water system must be self-sustaining — that is, the revenue the town receives from customers paying their water bills must be enough to cover the cost of operating the system — but it isn't, he said.

The police fine revenue received by Eastville enables the town to keep the water running and stash away more savings for a rainy day, and without it, Eastville's finances would be in "dire straits,"  Caison said.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

cpzilliacus

Quote from: LM117 on October 02, 2021, 09:34:32 AM

https://shoredailynews.com/headlines/eastville-tops-in-state-in-percentage-of-law-enforcement-revenues/

https://www.easternshorepost.com/2021/09/16/eastville-to-purchase-bingo-hall-to-help-with-fire-company-finances/

QuoteEastville's water system must be self-sustaining — that is, the revenue the town receives from customers paying their water bills must be enough to cover the cost of operating the system — but it isn't, he said.

The police fine revenue received by Eastville enables the town to keep the water running and stash away more savings for a rainy day, and without it, Eastville's finances would be in "dire straits,"  Caison said.

I have observed the Eastville speed trap in operation on U.S. 13 northbound.  Clearly seems to be about raising revenue.

They have unmarked SUVs observing traffic well before the corporate limits (here) on the northbound side and violators are pulled into the PNC Bank (at least when the bank is not open) prior to the signal at  VA-631 (Willow Oak Road). This might be legal because Virginia law usually grants municipal law enforcement some police powers outside of the city or town where they work. I do not know if they run a speed trap on other roads  such as Business U.S. 13 (Courthouse Road). 

Because Eastville is the county seat of Northampton County  the courts and a jail are located east of Business U.S. 13.

All of this are good reasons why county and municipal governments in Virginia should not be allowed to enact traffic laws that shadow those of Virginia and all revenue from traffic law enforcement should go to the Commonwealth - only.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

LM117

^ Eastville seems to be taking a page out of Hopewell and Emporia's playbook. 

I agree on your last paragraph. I might've mentioned this before a while back either here or on another thread, but back in 2012, the General Assembly tried to reduce the amount of ticket revenue local governments could keep, but that didn't last long thanks to the former delegate from Hopewell, Riley Ingram. He got that budget amendment repealed after Hopewell started feeling the pain. I had hoped that once the General Assembly changed hands, that the issue would be revisited, but it doesn't look like it. At least the Reckless Driving threshold was raised to 85mph, if nothing else. I thought Hell would freeze over before that ever happened.

I'll give these speed trap towns credit for being upfront and honest about why they're doing it instead of giving the typical "safety" argument. I guess they finally realize they're not kidding anyone anymore, so why bother? :-D

Rothman

Don't forget Waverly.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

froggie

These must be more recent endeavors.  Both of my times stationed in Norfolk (where I was a frequent user of 13 along the Eastern Shore), I almost never saw a cop in either Eastville or Waverly.

Though in fairness, we're talking 7 years now since I lived in the region.

sprjus4

It doesn't help that in a lot of areas these speed traps exist (usually on the outskirts where it's still rural, rather in the town / slower areas), the speed limits are artificially low to begin with. That first link where it's 55 mph could easily handle 70 mph. But do that, and you're almost getting a reckless ticket.

At minimum, Virginia should revise the existing law to add US-13 to the list of non-limited-access routes that can be posted at 60 mph, and increase those rural areas between towns. This applies to the entire corridor between the CBBT and the Maryland state line. The CBBT could reasonably be bumped to 60 mph as well, it's quite easy to hit 70+ mph without realizing it.

However, that will likely come with resistance from localities and most definitely the CBBT, so it's unrealistic for even a 5 mph increase. Then again, there was resistance when they did that to VA-207 and US-301 a few years back, but it still happened.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on October 04, 2021, 08:32:21 PM
These must be more recent endeavors.  Both of my times stationed in Norfolk (where I was a frequent user of 13 along the Eastern Shore), I almost never saw a cop in either Eastville or Waverly.

I had not seen a speed trap in Eastville before my last visit through there about 2 or 3 months prior to the outbreak of COVID19.  So it may be a fairly recent innovation.  But you rolled through there more than I.

Over the years, I have frequently seen VSP working radar between the Maryland border and the CBBT north toll barrier, but that is part of their job.  Sometimes the Accomack County and Northampton County SO's would also be out fishing for speeders on U.S. 13, but I wonder if they might not have more interest in illegal drugs, illegal firearms, untaxed liquor and large amounts of cash.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

plain

Quote from: sprjus4 on October 04, 2021, 08:55:26 PM
At minimum, Virginia should revise the existing law to add US-13 to the list of non-limited-access routes that can be posted at 60 mph, and increase those rural areas between towns. This applies to the entire corridor between the CBBT and the Maryland state line. The CBBT could reasonably be bumped to 60 mph as well, it's quite easy to hit 70+ mph without realizing it.

I'm not sure about raising the speed limit there. Yeah there's some straight alignments between some towns, but some of those have a pretty narrow median (with a ditch in it no less). It's just not the same higher speed quality roadway that it is in DE & MD.

Rothman

Quote from: froggie on October 04, 2021, 08:32:21 PM

I think we've been through this, Froggie:

https://www.facebook.com/WaverlyVirginaSpeedTrap/community

https://www.pilotonline.com/news/vp-nw-trap-20210417-awlh5d2tjbfofbzfcxzqi43ziu-story.html

https://www.leavittmartinlaw.com/case-results/waverly-va-dismissed-reckless-driving-ticket
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: LM117 on October 04, 2021, 05:38:56 PM
I'll give these speed trap towns credit for being upfront and honest about why they're doing it instead of giving the typical "safety" argument. I guess they finally realize they're not kidding anyone anymore, so why bother? :-D

Hopewell still uses the phrase "I-295 Highway Safety Program,"   along what might be a section of Virginia freeway so straight and so wide (at least from U.S. 460  to U.S. 360) that 80 MPH might be a reasonable speed limit.

sprjus4

Quote from: plain on October 04, 2021, 09:32:41 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on October 04, 2021, 08:55:26 PM

I'm not sure about raising the speed limit there. Yeah there's some straight alignments between some towns, but some of those have a pretty narrow median (with a ditch in it no less). It's just not the same higher speed quality roadway that it is in DE & MD.
It's not like it makes a difference, though. People already are pushing 70-75 mph on those straighter sections, having 60 mph for a few miles here and there wouldn't hurt where it could handle it. No one says it has to go for long distances.

LM117

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 04, 2021, 10:01:22 PM
Quote from: LM117 on October 04, 2021, 05:38:56 PM

Hopewell still uses the phrase "I-295 Highway Safety Program,"   along what might be a section of Virginia freeway so straight and so wide (at least from U.S. 460  to U.S. 360) that 80 MPH might be a reasonable speed limit.

Really? I figured they would've gave up on that phrase long by now after Ingram let the cat out of the bag.

LM117

Quote from: LM117 on October 02, 2021, 09:34:32 AM

To add to this, Eastville PD Major Rob Stubbs gave a little more detailed explanation:

https://www.easternshorepost.com/2021/09/23/eastville-police-major-responds-to-recent-public-comments/

QuoteAlso under scrutiny is how much time Eastville police officers spend daily on traffic enforcement and how many tickets they write every month. In July, they issued more than 1,600 traffic citations. That number dropped considerably in August but was still more than 1,000.

Stubbs acknowledged that police fines help keep the town budget balanced and added that "we don't have a choice"  because Eastville's tax structure is different from that of other Eastern Shore towns.

Eastville charges residents real estate and property taxes, but they are "extremely low,"  he noted.

Without police fines, Eastville brings in annual revenue of less than $100,000 — not enough to sustain the town's operations.

kernals12

Virginia has now reached an agreement with Transurban to extend the Beltway toll lanes to the AL Bridge. Now it's up to Maryland to keep its promise.

bluecountry

Quote from: kernals12 on October 06, 2021, 12:53:18 PM
Virginia has now reached an agreement with Transurban to extend the Beltway toll lanes to the AL Bridge. Now it's up to Maryland to keep its promise.
They need to reach a deal to make them bi-directional on 95 to Fredericksburg and let VA make the main lanes on 95 be either 4 wide OR at least up to interstate standards in PWC.

kernals12

Quote from: bluecountry on October 06, 2021, 03:27:26 PM
Quote from: kernals12 on October 06, 2021, 12:53:18 PM
They need to reach a deal to make them bi-directional on 95 to Fredericksburg and let VA make the main lanes on 95 be either 4 wide OR at least up to interstate standards in PWC.

They've already looked into that and rejected it.

A more feasible option is removing traffic signals on 234 from 95 to 66.

tolbs17

And when I was looking at the Meherrin River bridges, my mom always hated, hated, HATED driving on those things. They were over due for a replacement and they were making me bounce up and down in my seat.

After they got replaced, they didn't leave space for another lane... Unless it's not going to get widened in a while.

Now looking at I-95 north of Richmond, it should be 8 lanes by now... I hate driving up there... Way too much traffic to see my father who lives in New Jersey.

Mapmikey

Two project openings of note in the Fredericksburg area:

1.  The VA 3 Bus bridge over the Rappahannock River at downtown Fredericksburg reopens today after complete rehab and expansion of the 1942 bridge.

2.  Next Wednesday the I-95 SB local/express lanes through the US 17/17 Bus and VA 3 interchanges will open, though some lane closures for finishing work will still occur, in both sets of lanes, some of which look painful.  Everything should be fully open in mainline and the C/D lanes in December.  This should alleviate the backup that stems from a lot of traffic coming from US 17 SB to use I-95 SB.  A good overview of the interim patterns until Decmber can be found here

It would not surprise me in the least if these C/D lanes will need to be extended to beyond US 1-17 at Exit 126, especially if they ever provide access to Harrison Rd or VA 208.

Well into 2022, the Express lanes extension from SR 610 Garrisonville will tie into the local/express setup.

The I-95 NB local/express project is still in the early stages of construction and is projected to be 2024 before it opens.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.