News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Pennsylvania Highway Dept. Mason-Dixon Line monumentation

Started by dave1013, April 14, 2015, 08:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave1013

A native Yorker now residing in Alaska who, when visiting home and driving up from the south, likes to exit I-83 at Parkton and drive the rest of the way on the former US 111.

Upon crossing the Maryland-Pennsylvania line, there is a monument on the east side of the road denoting the Mason-Dixon Line.  These were erected by PDH way back in the day at state and US highway border crossings.  Some are still in place.  I've always been fascinated by them.  This particular one was restored in 1985 as part of an Eagle Scout project.  Note the pavement surface change seemingly north of the line.  Maybe a small gift from MSHA?   :-D

I searched to see if this topic had been covered earlier but couldn't find a reference.  I didn't want to duplicate.  My apologies if I didn't look hard enough! 

Traffic and Safety Engineer - Alaska DOT&PF - Southcoast Region - Juneau, Alaska

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of Alaska DOT&PF or the State of Alaska

KEVIN_224

Wow! I haven't seen a marker that big before! I certainly saw nothing crossing from the Elkton/Fair Hills, MD area into Franklin, Chester County, Pennsylvania last June...except for a shit ton of fields and farmland. There was only one tiny blue "WELCOME TO PENNSYLVANIA" sign and that was it.

ixnay

KEVIN_224

My crossing was (I believe) Appleton Road in Elkton/Fair Hills, MD to the east. You can see "my" crossing only had that one blue sign and no fancy markers.

dave1013

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on April 14, 2015, 09:24:11 AM
Wow! I haven't seen a marker that big before! I certainly saw nothing crossing from the Elkton/Fair Hills, MD area into Franklin, Chester County, Pennsylvania last June...except for a shit ton of fields and farmland. There was only one tiny blue "WELCOME TO PENNSYLVANIA" sign and that was it.

Yes, unfortunately some have not survived this long.  I think, but don't know, that the only reason the one on the Susquehanna Trail is still around is because a prospective Eagle Scout made it his business to restore this piece of history.
Traffic and Safety Engineer - Alaska DOT&PF - Southcoast Region - Juneau, Alaska

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of Alaska DOT&PF or the State of Alaska

Bitmapped

These actually seem to be on all state borders, not just the Mason-Dixon Line.  There is a marker on PA 21/WV 891 on the border between Greene County, PA and Marshall County in WV's Northern Panhandle. Google Street View: http://goo.gl/maps/OIcDj

ixnay

Quote from: Bitmapped on April 16, 2015, 10:19:10 PM
These actually seem to be on all state borders, not just the Mason-Dixon Line.  There is a marker on PA 21/WV 891 on the border between Greene County, PA and Marshall County in WV's Northern Panhandle. Google Street View: http://goo.gl/maps/OIcDj

There is one on PA 261/DE 261 that could use a little help from that Eagle Scout wannabe.  I drove or rode by it many times when I lived in Boothwyn.

ixnay

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.