News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

John McCain Dead at 81

Started by bing101, August 25, 2018, 08:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

Flint1979

hotdogPi

His mother is still alive at age 106.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Flint1979

Quote from: 1 on August 25, 2018, 10:16:08 PM
That's crazy I was just looking at that too. My grandma's best friend turned 100 in 2015 and her son died shortly after her 100th birthday he was 78.

bugo

His mother was born just down the road from me, in Muskogee, Oklahoma.

abefroman329

Outliving your children must be awful, no matter what age it occurred at.

hbelkins

Quote from: abefroman329 on August 26, 2018, 08:14:09 AM
Outliving your children must be awful, no matter what age it occurred at.

Call me crazy, but I certainly wouldn't want to live to be 106. The benefits of a long life are greatly overstated, if the latter years of that life are filled with health problems or other limitations.

As for McCain, I will keep my opinions of him to myself at the present time.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bandit957

Might as well face it, pooing is cool

SP Cook

Quote from: hbelkins on August 26, 2018, 02:26:38 PM

Call me crazy, but I certainly wouldn't want to live to be 106. The benefits of a long life are greatly overstated, if the latter years of that life are filled with health problems or other limitations.

To quote the late Sam Kinison, "They don't add years on in the middle, they add years on at the end." 

Long years of disability and being a burden on society and/or one's adult children or other relatives has little appeal to me. 

Guy I know is pushing 80 and in bad enough health.  Cannot walk very well or far, cannot see too well.  Various problems.  And his mother is still living.  In a nursing home (at his expense, he is one of the wealthiest people I know, made big money in natural gas back in the 70s) for decades.  As he tells it, unaware of much of anything. 

No thanks.
As for McCain, I will keep my opinions of him to myself at the present time.

Dittos. 

jon daly

My grandfather made it to 102. Up until he was 99, he was in good health. But those last years were not fun; from what my aunts and mom have told me.

abefroman329

Quote from: jon daly on August 27, 2018, 09:52:51 AM
My grandfather made it to 102. Up until he was 99, he was in good health. But those last years were not fun; from what my aunts and mom have told me.
Both my grandmothers lived until they were in their early 90s. One was fairly lucid until she passed, the other just laid in bed and wailed for the last 6 months or so.

None of this has anything to do with it being awful to outlive your child, though.

adventurernumber1

I concur that it isn't the lifespan, but the healthspan that matters the most. There is little benefit to living to 90 years old if the last few decades of your life are completely immersed in excruciating pain and health problems in the dozens. I hope my healthspan is long - as it is I already have a lot of physical and mental problems, but my health is still much better than that of the average person in late old age. If I'm going to have nothing but the worst of health problems when I'm very old, then I don't want to live to 80 or 90. If I live that long and have at least a decent healthspan most of that time, then that's great. If not, then I have no desire and I hope I don't have to suffer too long. One of the psychiatric medications I'm on has been noted to potentially decrease one's life expectancy, on average. That's good and bad for me - it is bad if I would have the possibility of having a decent health-span well into my 80s or 90s, but more than likely it is good because given that I already have tons of health issues (not life-threatening, but a great quantity of different ones both physical and mental) now, at the age of 18 years old, I can only imagine my situation would be much, much worse when I enter old age. They say that "Old Age is the Golden Years," but my great aunt (now deceased, but lived to her early 90s) had a generally more accurate quote: "Growing old ain't for sissies." Her younger brother, my grandfather, is still alive and in his early 80s, but unfortunately his health is very, very poor, and it has been for a while. His quality of life is very low, and growing old has been very, very painful for him. I've seen the great pains that old age can bring if your healthspan is cut short, as it was in his case. But to those people that have lived to around 100, in great health all the way, they are incredibly lucky, as they have lived a long, fulfilling life, but they were more fortunate with their healthspan.

With John McCain's political stuff put aside, it is still sad to see him go. Brain cancer is a horrible, horrible way to die, and it has also taken people such as Beau Biden, son of former Vice President Joe Biden. I wish the best to his family, including his mother who is still alive.

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

dvferyance

I am glad he lived long enough to see his daughter get married earlier this year. Too bad he didn't make it one more week he would have been 82 today. Never cared too much of his politics but I applaud him for serving his country well.

US71

My mom made it to 91, but barely. She had been slowing down, but everything went to Hell very quickly.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

roadman65

Love him or hate him, its a shame he died.  However, I must say he lived a good life though and despite all he made amends with some of his opposites in the political realm.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ce929wax

This might be controversial to some, but speaking in regards to old age, I personally have no problem taking myself out if my health and mental health deteriorates much in old age.  I'm not afraid to eat a bullet if the situation calls for it.

roadman65

Actually I have respect for the guy regardless of what he did or did not stand for.  He took death like the hero he was in the service.  I would be scared shit if I was told I was terminal.

Sheryl Crowe

bing101

Hurricane Rex

Despite if you like or dislike McCain's senate record, this is a time to be sad if for nothing else, than to honor a war hero/champion of freedom.

LG-TP260

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

roadman65

I am sad.  Too bad those idiots on facebook are not.  All life is precious even people we dislike and do not agree with.  My thoughts do go out to the family despite their efforts to sensor who mourns.

Sheryl Crowe

bugo

Quote from: ce929wax on August 30, 2018, 05:42:02 PM
This might be controversial to some, but speaking in regards to old age, I personally have no problem taking myself out if my health and mental health deteriorates much in old age.  I'm not afraid to eat a bullet if the situation calls for it.
Same here. Once life becomes unbearable, I want to leave on my own terms.

Nexus 5X

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.