News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

The mystery of the Bloomfield Bridge [over I-494; and other MSP history]

Started by kurumi, August 29, 2023, 11:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

https://tylervigen.com/the-mystery-of-the-bloomfield-bridge

Why is this bridge here?

This pedestrian bridge crosses I-494 just west of the Minneapolis Airport. It connects Bloomington to Richfield. I drive under it often and I wondered: why is it there? It's not in an area that is particularly walkable, and it doesn't connect any establishments that obviously need to be connected. So why was it built?

Tyler Vigen gets to the bottom of the reason for this bridge, and shows his research along the way. There's some proper roadgeeking along with other deep dives into area history.

Also: pointers to other road resources:

OTHER MINNESOTA INTERSTATE RESEARCH AND HISTORY PROJECTS

If you do enough searching about the construction of pedestrian bridges over interstates in Minnesota,Note you will eventually come upon these three sources:

Politics and Freeways: Building the Twin Cities Interstate System by Patricia Cavanaugh, which shares a detailed 136-page account of the politics and decisions for building the interstates in Minnesota
    Streets.mn, an unofficial but helpful (and opinionatedNote) site that provides various histories and insights into road-building in Minnesota
    A public history of 35W, which details the human toll building the interstates took on local communities–particularly black communities near Minneapolis and St. Paul, which were uprooted to make way for the interstates

The three sources are valuable in their own ways, but they all gloss over the construction of Interstate 494. Compared to its peers, this section of the interstate was uncontroversial, simple to acquire,Note and among the fastest to plan and build.

However, all three sources frequently mention one key planning report from the time: a report written by George Barton titled "Freeways in Minneapolis" published in 1957.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

The Ghostbuster

TheHighwayMan3561

tl;dr (though you should read this epic piece): A church located on the north side of I-494 most likely was the entity that pushed for its construction.

Since I never really found myself in much position to use this, or any of the pedestrian bridges around MSP very often, I never considered the usefulness of any particular one. Even this one didn't come off as that peculiar to me given Bloomington has sprawled around it somewhat.

This one in Duluth though I have wondered about, since the south side is in the dirty industry section of town along Railroad Street where there doesn't seem to be much of interest for pedestrians or bikers. I suppose maybe people in the Lincoln Park/Central Hillside neighborhoods walking to work.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Rothman

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 29, 2023, 03:41:13 PM
tl;dr (though you should read this epic piece): A church located on the north side of I-494 most likely was the entity that pushed for its construction.

Since I never really found myself in much position to use this, or any of the pedestrian bridges around MSP very often, I never considered the usefulness of any particular one. Even this one didn't come off as that peculiar to me given Bloomington has sprawled around it somewhat.

This one in Duluth though I have wondered about, since the south side is in the dirty industry section of town along Railroad Street where there doesn't seem to be much of interest for pedestrians or bikers. I suppose maybe people in the Lincoln Park/Central Hillside neighborhoods walking to work.
Bayfront.  Isn't that where the Mighty Thompson or whatever it is called is held?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

rte66man

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 29, 2023, 03:41:13 PM

It is part of the Superior Hiking Trail.
https://www.google.com/maps/@46.7755007,-92.1102382,457m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

The Ghostbuster

That's right by Interstate 35's original northern terminus. Does anyone know when this was constructed? Was it before or after the 1987-1992 extensions of Interstate 35 to London Rd./S. 26th Ave. E.?

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 08, 2023, 08:25:08 PM
That's right by Interstate 35's original northern terminus. Does anyone know when this was constructed? Was it before or after the 1987-1992 extensions of Interstate 35 to London Rd./S. 26th Ave. E.?

According to this article detailing an upcoming rehab project, it was built in 1968 (which would also predate the SHT by roughly 20 years).

https://www.wdio.com/front-page/top-stories/help-mndot-re-design-the-pedestrian-bridge-over-i-35-and-mesaba-avenue/
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.