Big South trip: Down I-55, up I-65

Started by Highway63, October 08, 2016, 11:34:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highway63

I should've posted something about this more than 10 days before leaving, but whatever.

I have two weeks off to go to a good chunk of the country I've barely been to, and I want to make the most of it. Once I get to St. Louis, I'm taking I-55 (and parts of US 61) to Memphis, then all I-55 to the end. The first weekend I plan on going to the LSU-Ole Miss game.

After that, I'm going in and out of New Orleans, mostly for the WWII museum, because I'm a boring person like that. I'll also be clinching I-12 in that part of the trip.

Once I get to Pensacola, I'll turn around and head up I-65 and stay on it. Assorted 3dis are also on the agenda, as well as at least a little of I-22.

I'm hitting four or five state capitals, Mammoth Cave National Park, some museums. Anyone from that region have suggestions on other places along the way - including inexpensive food options - feel free to share them.

I'll have to take a look at the aftermath of the Birmingham meetup that's going on the day I write this and see what I could follow up on.

hbelkins

I've never been, but the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green (and the sinkhole) are popular.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

Don't bother with the NCAA Hall of Champions if you go to Indy, totally not worth IMO.  I would recommend the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum in the infield of the track.  Lots of really great race winning cars from all vintages are on display, definitely a must see for a car or racing fan.

dvferyance

Quote from: hbelkins on October 08, 2016, 09:35:28 PM
I've never been, but the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green (and the sinkhole) are popular.
I have been there and it's without question worth it. I did the plant tour as well. I don't know if your doing all of I-65 but if your going through NW Indiana I would also recommend a stop at Fair Oaks Farm at Exit 220. They have good cheese and ice cream.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.