News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmoore952

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 06, 2024, 06:23:14 PM
Quote from: tmoore952 on January 06, 2024, 11:21:24 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 05, 2024, 10:34:42 PM
Quote from: thspfc on January 05, 2024, 10:22:58 PM
...Along those lines, it took the Eagles five years to properly rebuild the team post-championship, and only two to go from rock bottom to the Super Bowl, which is why Philly fans wanting Roseman gone is hilarious...

You should see the comments from Philly fans who they want gone this year, because of the last 5 weeks.  And the team is still in the running for winning the Division.

This is why it is nice to follow the Eagles from afar. I don't hear all of that stuff.

WIP (now WYSP? I know it is at WYSP's frequency) existed for 15 years before I left the area, guess it is the same (or worse) than before. (Philly's sports radio station)

I'd say worse.  I don't even listen to it.  Callers drive me nuts.

Sorry to hear. It was bad in the 90s also. It was decent for a short time when they started in 1986, but that didn't last long.

WRT to Dallas-Washington game, it is probably in Washington's best interest to lose, to keep the high draft pick.

elsmere241

It used to be at a prime spot on my radio dial until about ten or eleven years ago.  Now it's just another FM station to me.  (If I surf by it and it sounds interesting, I'll listen for a little bit.  But I haven't kept up with it.)

02 Park Ave

What's helped this year were all the prime-time games Eagles had.  They only had 3, 1pm games this year.  All 8pm Sun & Mon games are on TV.  Their 4pm games were often the Fox 'Game of the Week', which had nearly a nationwide audience. So that just left their Thu night game and the few 1pm games without a national TV coverage.

I can recall when all the games kicked off at one o'clock locally on Sunday afternoons in the NFL's pre-greed era.  (The Baltimore Colts home games were an exception with two o'clock kickoffs due to Blue Laws there.)  This was good for the spectators.  The games were played during the warmest part of the day and not in the late afternoon as some are now, even in the colder weather.  With few exceptions, there were no night games.  Certainly none ending at Midnight in the East to accommodate a TV network which wanted a large West coast viewership at the expense of the spectators.

The NFL Championship Game was played on the Sunday between Christmas and New Year's in one of the teams' stadiums.  It was played between the teams at the top of the table from each of the two conferences.  There were no money grabbing playoffs then.  The game was between the two teams which had proven themselves to be the best over the full season.  There was no opportunity for a team with a poorer record to knock out a team with a better record from playing in the big game.
C-o-H

thspfc

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on January 07, 2024, 01:11:19 PM

What's helped this year were all the prime-time games Eagles had.  They only had 3, 1pm games this year.  All 8pm Sun & Mon games are on TV.  Their 4pm games were often the Fox 'Game of the Week', which had nearly a nationwide audience. So that just left their Thu night game and the few 1pm games without a national TV coverage.

I can recall when all the games kicked off at one o'clock locally on Sunday afternoons in the NFL's pre-greed era.  (The Baltimore Colts home games were an exception with two o'clock kickoffs due to Blue Laws there.)  This was good for the spectators.  The games were played during the warmest part of the day and not in the late afternoon as some are now, even in the colder weather.  With few exceptions, there were no night games.  Certainly none ending at Midnight in the East to accommodate a TV network which wanted a large West coast viewership at the expense of the spectators.

The NFL Championship Game was played on the Sunday between Christmas and New Year's in one of the teams' stadiums.  It was played between the teams at the top of the table from each of the two conferences.  There were no money grabbing playoffs then.  The game was between the two teams which had proven themselves to be the best over the full season.  There was no opportunity for a team with a poorer record to knock out a team with a better record from playing in the big game.
Sounds boring.

epzik8

My fellow fans in Landover sure want that second-overall draft pick and for the Bears to select Marvin Harrison Jr.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

02 Park Ave

Quote from: thspfc on January 07, 2024, 01:30:15 PM

Sounds boring.
Quote from: thspfc on January 07, 2024, 01:30:15 PM

Sounds boring.

It wasn't in its day and did provide for which was the best team overall that season.
C-o-H

webny99

Quote from: epzik8 on January 07, 2024, 01:58:59 PM
My fellow fans in Landover sure want that second-overall draft pick and for the Bears to select Marvin Harrison Jr.

They can always dream, but there's basically zero chance the Bears draft Marvin Harrison Jr first overall. It's either draft a QB or trade down.

jeffandnicole

It appears this last occurred in 1964. 

There were 14 teams.  2 made it to the Playoffs.

Maybe the argument could be made that we shouldn't have doubled the number of teams.  That seems to be the start of the money grab.

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on January 07, 2024, 02:08:52 PM
It wasn't in its day and did provide for which was the best team overall that season.

*In its day*

We're a long way from that day.

If this was today, the 49ers have already locked up the NFC.  The Ravens have already locked up the AFC.  There would be absolutely no reason for any team to even play today, unless they were trying for the best draft pick in which case every team would try to play worse than their opponent. 

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 07, 2024, 02:26:41 PM

It appears this last occurred in 1964. 

There were 14 teams.  2 made it to the Playoffs.

Maybe the argument could be made that we shouldn't have doubled the number of teams.  That seems to be the start of the money grab.

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on January 07, 2024, 02:08:52 PM

*In its day*

We're a long way from that day.

If this was today, the 49ers have already locked up the NFC.  The Ravens have already locked up the AFC.  There would be absolutely no reason for any team to even play today, unless they were trying for the best draft pick in which case every team would try to play worse than their opponent. 

Yeah, we got to the point where there were too many teams to limit it to such a small playoff field.

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

webny99

Worth noting that, with the Steelers winning last night, if the Jaguars were to lose to the Titans:
1) They would be eliminated from playoff contention
2) The Houston Texans would clinch the AFC South and host the Cleveland Browns next weekend
3) The Buffalo Bills would clinch a playoff berth and either host Pittsburgh or return to Miami next weekend
4) The Pittsburgh Steelers would clinch a playoff berth and travel to either Buffalo or Kansas City next weekend

Not as fun as Broncos-Raiders deciding who gets the #7 seed, but at least the Titans showed up to play with the entire playoff picture hanging in the balance. And it would be very AFC South-y of the Jaguars to lose, much like the Colts' similarly impossible collapse against the Jaguars at the end of the 2021 season. Stakes!

Big John

^^ The Jaguars are currently losing.

thspfc

Quote from: thspfc on January 02, 2024, 02:16:44 PM
Therefore, I win unless all of the following things occur:
- Steelers beat Ravens
- Jaguars beat Titans
- Falcons beat Saints
- Panthers beat Bucs
- Dolphins beat Bills
- Packers beat Bears OR the rocket sceince that leads to either the 8-9 Packers or 8-9 Vikings getting in
Woohoo!

mgk920

Quote from: webny99 on January 07, 2024, 02:11:57 PM

They can always dream, but there's basically zero chance the Bears draft Marvin Harrison Jr first overall. It's either draft a QB or trade down.

I am expecting the Bears to trade that pick down for later round journeymen picks.

Mike

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: mgk920 on January 07, 2024, 03:41:15 PM
Quote from: webny99 on January 07, 2024, 02:11:57 PM

I am expecting the Bears to trade that pick down for later round journeymen picks.

Mike

That would be fine with me if the Bears waste the number one pick.  Fields doesn't really have the numbers to suggest he is long term solution.

Big John

Great Lakes Roads

-Jay Seaburg

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

NWI_Irish96

NFC matchups are set:
1 49ers get the bye
7 Packers at 2 Cowboys
6 Rams at 3 Lions
5 Eagles at 4 Bucs

AFC teams are set but matchups depend on tonight's outcome.

Ravens are 1 no matter what
Texans are 4 no matter what
Browns are 5 no matter what

Dolphins can be 2 or 6
Bills can be 3 or 7
Chiefs can be 2 or 3
Steelers can be 6 or 7
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

thspfc

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on January 07, 2024, 07:26:02 PM
NFC matchups are set:
1 49ers get the bye
7 Packers at 2 Cowboys
6 Rams at 3 Lions
5 Eagles at 4 Bucs

AFC teams are set but matchups depend on tonight's outcome.

Ravens are 1 no matter what
Texans are 4 no matter what
Browns are 5 no matter what

Dolphins can be 2 or 6
Bills can be 3 or 7
Chiefs can be 2 or 3
Steelers can be 6 or 7
Chiefs are locked into the 3. Bills can be 2 or 7.

AFC matchups with a Bills win:
7) Steelers at 2) Bills
6) Dolphins at 3) Chiefs
5) Browns at 4) Texans

AFC matchups with a Bills loss:
7) Bills at 2) Dolphins
6) Steelers at 3) Chiefs
5) Browns at 4) Texans

Gonna be a good slate. This is the first time in the 7-team era that I really don't think anybody is safe in wild card weekend. To me the Steelers are the worst team in the playoffs, but both of their potential opponents have their flaws (wide receivers and random letdown games, I'm sure everyone knows which is which). And as much as I've been hating on Pittsburgh all year, they have been legit the last few weeks thanks to the best QB on their roster finally getting on the field.

Dallas should beat Green Bay. Yes, the Packers are hot right now, but the Cowboys have been hot the whole year. I would not be shocked by a loss, but I would be thoroughly disappointed, and the Cowboys being the first two seed to lose in the wild card would be the hot topic all offseason.

My NFC bracket:
2) Cowboys defeat 7) Packers
6) Rams defeat 3) Lions
5) Eagles defeat 4) Buccaneers

1) 49ers defeat 6) Rams
2) Cowboys defeat 5) Eagles

1) 49ers defeat 2) Cowboys

JayhawkCO

Buck87

AFC North

Baltimore 13-4
Cleveland 11-6
Pittsburgh 10-7
Cincinnati 9-8

First post merger NFL division to have all of its teams finish above .500
The last time an NFL division accomplished this feat was 1935 (NFL Western Division - Lions, Packers, Cardinals, Bears)

ZLoth

Quote from: thspfc on January 07, 2024, 07:56:42 PM
My NFC bracket:
2) Cowboys defeat 7) Packers
6) Rams defeat 3) Lions
5) Eagles defeat 4) Buccaneers

1) 49ers defeat 6) Rams
2) Cowboys defeat 5) Eagles

1) 49ers defeat 2) Cowboys

My NFC bracket....
2 Cowboys bear 7 Packers
3 Lions beat 6 Rams
4 Bucs beat 5 Eagles because Eagles are in a slump. Game could go either way as neither team was impressive during week 18. Will this be the Peacock game?

1 49ers beat 4 Bucs/5 Eagles
3 Lions beat 2 Cowboys. Call it Christmas payback.

1 49ers beat 3 Lions
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

Hunty2022

This is my NFC Bracket:

2. Cowboys > 7. Packers
3. Lions > 6. Rams
5. Eagles > 4. Bucs

1. 49ers > 5. Eagles
2. Cowboys > 3. Lions

1. 49ers > 2. Cowboys
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

Great Lakes Roads

AFC

7 Steelers @ 2 Bills - CORRECT
6 Dolphins @ 3 Chiefs - CORRECT
5 Browns @ 4 Texans - CORRECT

1 Ravens vs. 4 Texans - CORRECT
2 Bills vs. 3 Chiefs - INCORRECT (Chiefs win)

1 Ravens vs. 2 Bills 3 Chiefs

NFC

7 Packers @ 2 Cowboys - INCORRECT (Packers win)
6 Rams @ 3 Lions - CORRECT
5 Eagles @ 4 Buccaneers - CORRECT

1 49ers vs. 4 Buccaneers 1 49ers vs. 7 Packers - CORRECT
2 Cowboys vs. 3 Lions 4 Buccaneers @ 3 Lions - CORRECT

1 49ers vs. 2 Cowboys 3 Lions

Super Bowl: Ravens vs. 49ers
-Jay Seaburg

ozarkman417

Congrats Dolphins! Because you choked the division, you've been sentenced to playing in 17 degree weather at Arrowhead next Saturday!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.