News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

Quote from: Oscar on January 24, 2024, 08:08:06 PMThe "genius" part of Belichick's "evil genius" rep has been fading badly lately. But I'm open to rooting for him once more, if he can mount a comeback with a team I can stand.

Meh. In my opinion, both Bill Belichick and Terry Bradshow should go off and enjoy retirement.
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

DenverBrian

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on January 22, 2024, 01:09:00 PM
After last night's game, I will repeat my plea for the NFL to get rid of conferences so we can get an Allen vs Mahomes Super Bowl.
Just swap Chiefs and Cardinals in their divisions. Chiefs to the NFC West, Cardinals to the AFC West.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: DenverBrian on January 26, 2024, 10:13:28 PM
After last night's game, I will repeat my plea for the NFL to get rid of conferences so we can get an Allen vs Mahomes Super Bowl.
Just swap Chiefs and Cardinals in their divisions. Chiefs to the NFC West, Cardinals to the AFC West.

Chiefs aren't going to give up their rivalries with the Raiders and Broncos, plus are you going to make swaps every time a new pair of teams from the same conference do this?

There's no real point to conferences anymore. You play 6 division games, 6 non-division conference games, and 5 inter-conference games. Just keep the 8 divisions but seed them together instead of in 2 groups.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

epzik8

I think the Lions are doomed now that Deebo Samuel is good to go for tomorrow.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

dvferyance

The Bills are starting to look a lot like the Chargers from the 2000's. A team that contends every year but just can never get to the big one.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: dvferyance on January 27, 2024, 10:41:03 PM
The Bills are starting to look a lot like the Chargers from the 2000's. A team that contends every year but just can never get to the big one.

Not to mention a fair number of head-scratching and face planting moments.

epzik8

Praying for my Ravens-49ers rematch at the end of today.

Brandon

Quote from: epzik8 on January 28, 2024, 08:14:19 AM

I'm not.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Brandon on January 28, 2024, 08:40:08 AM

I'm not.

Same for me, btw, am I the only one who wish to see the Lions in SuperBowl finals?

thspfc

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on January 28, 2024, 09:28:10 AM

I'm not.

Same for me, btw, am I the only one who wish to see the Lions in SuperBowl finals?
It's only you and about 96% of the rest of the country.

tmoore952

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on January 28, 2024, 09:28:10 AM

I'm not.

I said that about 10 days ago, in a post I made about wanting to see teams win the SB who had not won it before (Buffalo, Houston, Detroit). I've seen SF win 5 times already.

Max Rockatansky

Mentioned it a couple days before, I'm Lions fan.  I'm actually about to walk out the door to drive to Santa Clara.

webny99

The Ravens' championship game performance reminded me of when they fell flat against the Titans in the 2019 playoffs, just on an even bigger stage against a better opponent. An incredible defensive performance wasted by penalties and mistakes on offense.

Was of course hoping the Chiefs would fall to 0-3 after beating the Bills in the playoffs, but I gotta say, I don't hate Lamar joining Josh Allen among "top tier" QB's that have not yet appeared in the Super Bowl. It is frustrating that Allen played much better than Lamar played tonight and still couldn't beat the Chiefs, but also encouraging to see that a great defense can stop the Chiefs... which I believe the Bills can be when fully healthy.

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on January 08, 2024, 12:01:32 AM
AFC

7 Steelers @ 2 Bills - CORRECT
6 Dolphins @ 3 Chiefs - CORRECT
5 Browns @ 4 Texans - CORRECT

1 Ravens vs. 4 Texans - CORRECT
2 Bills vs. 3 Chiefs - INCORRECT (Chiefs win)

1 Ravens vs. 2 Bills 3 Chiefs - INCORRECT (Chiefs win)

NFC

7 Packers @ 2 Cowboys - INCORRECT (Packers win)
6 Rams @ 3 Lions - CORRECT
5 Eagles @ 4 Buccaneers - CORRECT

1 49ers vs. 4 Buccaneers 1 49ers vs. 7 Packers - CORRECT
2 Cowboys vs. 3 Lions 4 Buccaneers @ 3 Lions - CORRECT

1 49ers vs. 2 Cowboys 3 Lions

Super Bowl: Ravens vs. 49ers Chiefs vs. 49ers

Am I surprised that the Chiefs are in the Super Bowl? Not really...
Will the Chiefs win the Super Bowl? Possibly!
-Jay Seaburg

bing101

https://www.foxsports.com/live-blog/nfl/nfc-championship-game-live-updates-score-lions-vs-49ers
For now the Kansas City Chiefs is going to have to wait for the outcome of the 49ers Vs. Lions Game.

https://apnews.com/article/chiefs-ravens-score-afc-championship-2d7d4c43fe8fc614b27bf5fc7f4e94d1

Mahomes, Kelce are headed to the Super Bowl after Chiefs shut down Ravens 17-10

epzik8

Okay then

LM117

"Live by the 4th down, die by the 4th down."

-Dan Campbell
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

webny99

One thing today proved is that playoff experience matters a TON. In both conference championships, it was clear in the biggest moments which teams were more experienced. Chiefs have been here 6 straight years and 49ers have been here 4 of the last 5 years.

The Lions are an incredible story and it's a bummer they couldn't hold on to a 17 point lead... but the Shanahan era 49ers deserve a chip too IMO. Was shaping up to be a brutal loss but they didn't fold and they have never been more battle tested than they are now. With big second half comebacks in both of their playoff victories, I think that experience matters too facing a Chiefs team known for comebacks themselves (as the 49ers know all too well).

This obviously isn't the Super Bowl that "America wants", but at the same time, I am already drawing parallels to the Patriots dynasty. I think that means a 9-year title drought for the Chiefs if they win this one, and I will sign up for that in a heartbeat.

Quote from: LM117 on January 28, 2024, 09:50:16 PM
"Live by the 4th down, die by the 4th down."

-Dan Campbell

This is absolutely a part of my point about big game experience. With a 14 point lead in the NFC title game, against a notoriously conservative opponent, you have to go up three scores there. It's OK to play it a little safe there because you cannot risk the downside of failure to convert, which is exactly what happened, that you blink and are in a tight one score game against an experienced opponent. Not tying up the game late was bad too and still changed how the end of the game played out, but ended up not looking as bad because the 49ers scored a TD anyways.

JayhawkCO

That run call on 3rd down was one of the historically bad calls in the history of the NFL.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 28, 2024, 10:08:00 PM
That run call on 3rd down was one of the historically bad calls in the history of the NFL.

Bested by the two historically bad 4th down calls.

thspfc

Maybe the "house money" will buy a championship next year . . .

Campbell is the most overrated coach in the league, and that's not because of his situational decision making. He is not the reason that team is good. Defensive coach, defense is flat bad. Offense is as talented as any in the league save for the other one on the field today.

webny99

^What is overrated about Campbell if not for the situational decision making?

My final point on that is that the right balance of aggressive/conservative is absolutely different in the playoffs, especially deep in the playoffs. I agree with sticking to what got you here to a certain point, but when the stakes are that high, with a trip to the Super Bowl on the line, situational awareness matters more, and with those decisions Campbell's stubbornness (and lack of big game experience) got in the way of maximizing their chance of winning.

bing101

https://apnews.com/article/49ers-lions-score-nfc-championship-bed96677697deb0dfb1fa757288ab4bb

49ers rally from 17 points down, beat Lions 34-31 to advance to Super Bowl to face the Chiefs.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 28, 2024, 10:22:54 PM

I didn't get to watch the whole game, but I'm completely okay with not going for the FG. Wasting a timeout that essentially dropped their chances of winning from maybe 10% to 0.2% was football malpractice.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 28, 2024, 10:55:02 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 28, 2024, 10:22:54 PM

I didn't get to watch the whole game, but I'm completely okay with not going for the FG. Wasting a timeout that essentially dropped their chances of winning from maybe 10% to 0.2% was football malpractice.

It wouldn't have been that 10% (or whatever is was) if they had gone for the safer options earlier.  The 1st 4th down in the 3rd Quarter was where they were well within FG range.  After they didn't convert, SF fairly quickly scored two TDs to tie the score, then eventually kicked their own FG to take the lead.  In the 4th quarter, when DET was down by 3, they could've kicked a FG to tie it, but instead went for it on 4th down and again failed to convert. 

Sometimes you take a risk.  This was probably not the game to risk it when they had the momentum and a decent lead.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.