News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Why do Asian establishments seem to have lower Google reviews than in the West?

Started by TheGrassGuy, October 25, 2022, 11:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on October 26, 2022, 05:19:17 PM
Quote from: 1 on October 26, 2022, 04:48:21 PM
Someone who gives mostly 5s will have each individual 5 count less ...

This devalues the reviews of people who only choose to post reviews when the establishment truly did far exceed all expectations.

However, I think part of what this thread might be pointing up is that such might already be the case, at least here in the US. A lot of people seem to give 5-star reviews for what might actually be just an average experience.

kphoger

Imagine I'm a business traveler and eat out at hundreds of restaurants every year.  I only ever write an online review if the service was stupendous, far exceeding the expectations that I've gained over years of eating out.  I never leave scathing reviews, because I understand that everyone has an off day, and I also know how bad for business a single bad review can be.  So, over the last four years, I've reviewed seven restaurants–all of them at least 4.5 stars, and five of them were 5-star reviews.

Now imagine instead that I'm an average joe who never really ventures out of my home city.  I write an online review of practically every place I go.  Over the last four years, I've reviewed 31 restaurants just in my home city.  Because I'm kind of a prick, 22 of those were 1-star reviews.  Five of them, on the other hand, were 5-star reviews.

Under |1|'s proposed system, the 5-star reviews in the first case would be docked by a greater factor than in the second case.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

Quote from: kphoger on October 27, 2022, 03:29:33 PM
Imagine I'm a business traveler and eat out at hundreds of restaurants every year.  I only ever write an online review if the service was stupendous, far exceeding the expectations that I've gained over years of eating out.  I never leave scathing reviews, because I understand that everyone has an off day, and I also know how bad for business a single bad review can be.  So, over the last four years, I've reviewed seven restaurants–all of them at least 4.5 stars, and five of them were 5-star reviews.

Now imagine instead that I'm an average joe who never really ventures out of my home city.  I write an online review of practically every place I go.  Over the last four years, I've reviewed 31 restaurants just in my home city.  Because I'm kind of a prick, 22 of those were 1-star reviews.  Five of them, on the other hand, were 5-star reviews.

Under |1|'s proposed system, the 5-star reviews in the first case would be docked by a greater factor than in the second case.

The standard deviation is much less in the first one than in the second, so it's not by as much as you would think. There is, however, the problem that it would see the two 4.5s as low, since they're below the mean.

In your second example, your 22 1-star reviews would be devalued for both the mean being low and the standard deviation being high, which is a good thing because most of those restaurants probably don't deserve 1 star.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

formulanone

Quote from: 1 on October 27, 2022, 04:31:07 PM
Quote from: kphoger on October 27, 2022, 03:29:33 PM

The standard deviation is much less in the first one than in the second, so it's not by as much as you would think. There is, however, the problem that it would see the two 4.5s as low, since they're below the mean.

In your second example, your 22 1-star reviews would be devalued for both the mean being low and the standard deviation being high, which is a good thing because most of those restaurants probably don't deserve 1 star.

Or instead of trying some complicated formula that doesn't promote honest reviews, just dock them by the number of times they've used "rude" in their descriptions.

(Hint: maybe by the third or fourth place one has been treated rudely, it's not the establishment's attitude that needs adjustment...)

In any case, Google ratings are not a good diagnostic tool. Like much of the survey system, it's geared to make people ignore flaws and promote dishonesty by omission.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.