News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Illinois notes

Started by mgk920, September 12, 2012, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChiMilNet

Quote from: Revive 755 on April 19, 2018, 06:14:23 PM
Quote from: ChiMilNet on April 18, 2018, 11:43:09 PM
While concrete is more ideal, it is also way more expensive. It also would have required tearing up the existing base pavement and been a much longer and more extensive project than I am sure was in the Tollway's budget and scope at the time.

They would not necessarily have to go too far into the base pavement if they did a concrete overlay.  While it would take longer and be harder to stager, it would be nicer than having another round of repairs in the near future. 

I seem to recall some other repair project on I-355 north of I-55 in this decade - besides the widening around 75th Street - anyone remember what it was?

They did overlay some of the CD lanes near the I-88 interchange and near the Army Trail Toll Plaza a year or two after the main overlay of the Northern portion.

Revive 755

Quote from: ChimpOnTheWheel on April 19, 2018, 10:18:33 PM
You could just take I-290 to IL-83 to US-45 to I-80 to I-294. More complicated and more stoplights, but saves you from construction.

Except I-290 has a bridge replacement west of IL 83 on the April 2018 Letting:  Link.  From a quick skim of the MOT plans it appears there will be an effort to keep three lanes open, but there will probably be a few times at least one lane is closed.  IIRC there is also a project that has been let for one of the IL 83/IL 171 intersections.

I think it might still be faster to put up with construction delays than all of the signals on IL 83 and US 45 down to I-80.

EDIT:  After driving IL 83 from IL 64 to 127th Street (and then getting on I-294 SB), and later travels up US 45 from I-80 to IL 171, I definitely do not recommend using US 45.  Either hope for a lack of slow drivers and take IL 83 over to I-294, or find another way south towards I-80 and only use a short stretch of US 45 near the I-80 interchange.  I think even taking I-55 and I-80 would be faster, but it should be more pleasant.

abefroman329

Quote from: inkyatari on April 16, 2018, 12:57:34 PM
Why was the Chinatown Feeder never connected to Wacker Drive? I saw it proposed on some maps, and it does seem like a no brainer, but it's always confused me why it was never built.

It would have destroyed Chinatown, and taking the Stevenson to LSD works just fine, provided there isn't a Bears game.

Brandon

Quote from: abefroman329 on April 20, 2018, 01:16:49 PM
Why was the Chinatown Feeder never connected to Wacker Drive? I saw it proposed on some maps, and it does seem like a no brainer, but it's always confused me why it was never built.

It would have destroyed Chinatown, and taking the Stevenson to LSD works just fine, provided there isn't a Bears game.

Or the Stevie isn't under construction (like currently).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Revive 755

As built, it is already halfway through Chinatown, so I doubt it would have destroyed Chinatown had it been completed.

Crash_It

Resurfacing work seems to finally be underway on US Route 14 (Peterson Ave) from Kimball Ave to IL50 (Cicero Ave) in Chicago. This was long overdue and was some of the most deteriorated pavement in District 1. Encountering this was a surprise because I don't see any notification about it anywhere on the IDOT website.

ET21

Quote from: Brandon on April 20, 2018, 09:26:54 PM

It's done though at the east end, this weekend was just punchlist items
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

abefroman329

Quote from: Brandon on April 20, 2018, 09:26:54 PM

Or during the 10 years or so it took to rebuild the Stevenson/LSD interchange.

inkyatari

I use the Weber Rd. I-55 exit every day, and it looks like construction on the interchange is finally beginning. I spotted construction equipment on the NW corner, and the "pad" they had constructed 2-3 years ago was graded and widened.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

edwaleni

The IDOT Multi-Year Plan 2018-2023 is available online.

http://www.idot.illinois.gov/transportation-system/transportation-management/transportation-improvement-programs-/multi-modal-transportation-improvement-program/index

Seems a lot of projects are going to be funded in FY2019.  I wonder how much of that was caused by the constitutional changes.

- Funding the new I-74 bridge over the Mississippi in the Quad Cities (Iowa is the lead state, Illinois reimburses them)
- I-57/I-74 Intersection replacement near Champaign
- Replacement of the I-64 bridge over the Wabash River (Illinois leads, Indiana splits cost)
- Replacement of the US51/US60/US62 Ohio River Bridge at Cairo (!) (split with Kentucky)

The breakout by districts are all there.  Lots of incremental patching, and replacement or repair of structurally deficient bridges lead the list by far.

But funding a replacement to that bridge in Cairo. That thing was built in 1937. It will be 90 years old when they open its replacement. Curious what the new design will look like. A cable stayed clone of the Clark Bridge in Alton, or something closer to the Musial/Veterans in St Louis?

ilpt4u

Is the US 60/62 Mississippi River Bridge @ Cairo newer? I would have guessed both the Ohio and Mississippi River bridges were roughly the same age

If/when that project gets rolling, sounds like a future Ohio Valley forum topic...

Rick Powell

Quote from: edwaleni on May 07, 2018, 10:22:06 PM
The IDOT Multi-Year Plan 2018-2023 is available online.

Published date Spring 2017. FY 2018 will end less than 2 months from now, and the new program (FY 2019-24) should appear soon. To answer your question about the transportation lockbox, along with funding being tightened up to represent only "transportation" funding from transportation-related taxes, other funding got moved from general funding to transportation (most notably state aid to the Chicago area's Regional Transportation Authority), the net effect being worse for county road programs' MFT money.

edwaleni

Quote from: ilpt4u on May 07, 2018, 11:31:45 PM
Is the US 60/62 Mississippi River Bridge @ Cairo newer? I would have guessed both the Ohio and Mississippi River bridges were roughly the same age

If/when that project gets rolling, sounds like a future Ohio Valley forum topic...

Yes, it is newer. The Mississippi bridge was built in 1929, 8 years earlier.

But it appears Kentucky DOT does not want to put any money into a rehab and prefers a replacement.

The Mississippi bridge was closed and reconstructed in 2011 and 2015.

I have driven both bridges.

The Mississippi one seems safer than the Ohio one. Just my 2 cents. The Ohio one appears narrower and the steel used a smaller gauge, though that is all subjective. Modjeski designed it and his bridges have all stood up well over the years.

The Ohio bridge has much more truck weight and size warnings than the Mississippi one. That is usually a clue to its condition overall.

I am all for anything that can help the town of Cairo. They are very close to ghost town status.

Lyon Wonder

Quote from: edwaleni on May 08, 2018, 01:11:32 PM

Yes, it is newer. The Mississippi bridge was built in 1929, 8 years earlier.

But it appears Kentucky DOT does not want to put any money into a rehab and prefers a replacement.

The Mississippi bridge was closed and reconstructed in 2011 and 2015.

I have driven both bridges.

The Mississippi one seems safer than the Ohio one. Just my 2 cents. The Ohio one appears narrower and the steel used a smaller gauge, though that is all subjective. Modjeski designed it and his bridges have all stood up well over the years.

The Ohio bridge has much more truck weight and size warnings than the Mississippi one. That is usually a clue to its condition overall.

I am all for anything that can help the town of Cairo. They are very close to ghost town status.

I wonder if the replacement US 51/60/62 Ohio River bridge will be built north of Cairo so it can be close to I-57?

ilpt4u

If a new Ohio River Bridge were built near the I-57/US 51/IL 3 interchange, KY would need to build some New Terrain Highway, and also Cairo would lose 3 US Routes, including US 51 thru town, and US 60/62 on the Southern end (as, likely, they would be rerouted onto I-57 to reach a bridge that were placed close to I-57 and US 51 north of Cairo)

I guess US 60/62 could continue to use the current Mississippi River Bridge, and become the Thru Route in Cairo, but that seems out of the way a bit

Getting Road Geeky...IDOT should add a "far end"  mileage sign on the IL Arrival side of the Ohio River Bridge, with US 51 Mileage to South Beloit!

Revive 755

But funding a replacement to that bridge in Cairo. That thing was built in 1937. It will be 90 years old when they open its replacement. Curious what the new design will look like. A cable stayed clone of the Clark Bridge in Alton, or something closer to the Musial/Veterans in St Louis?

Unless the new bridge has to have a much longer main span the current bridge, it's more likely another tied arch, similar to the new US 52 bridge at Savannah or IL 104 at Meredosia.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Lyon Wonder on May 08, 2018, 09:27:37 PM
I wonder if the replacement US 51/60/62 Ohio River bridge will be built north of Cairo so it can be close to I-57?

......This would make the bridge utterly useless because everyone would just take I-57 instead.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

ilpt4u

Quote from: paulthemapguy on May 09, 2018, 01:15:23 PM

......This would make the bridge utterly useless because everyone would just take I-57 instead.
Except I-57 crosses the Mississippi into Missouri, whereas US 51 crosses the Ohio into Kentucky...

Cairo just happens to be the meet point of both rivers

Unless I-57 is getting rerouted into Kentucky...that would be a lot of new routing to get to Walnut Ridge in Arkansas, and also involving a new MS River Bridge, too (Expensive)

edwaleni

Quote from: Revive 755 on May 08, 2018, 10:20:36 PM

Unless the new bridge has to have a much longer main span the current bridge, it's more likely another tied arch, similar to the new US 52 bridge at Savannah or IL 104 at Meredosia.

Like the Jefferson Barracks on I-255, like the Lincoln Bridge on I-39 at LaSalle-Peru.

edwaleni

Quote from: ilpt4u on May 08, 2018, 10:05:18 PM
If a new Ohio River Bridge were built near the I-57/US 51/IL 3 interchange, KY would need to build some New Terrain Highway, and also Cairo would lose 3 US Routes, including US 51 thru town, and US 60/62 on the Southern end (as, likely, they would be rerouted onto I-57 to reach a bridge that were placed close to I-57 and US 51 north of Cairo)

I guess US 60/62 could continue to use the current Mississippi River Bridge, and become the Thru Route in Cairo, but that seems out of the way a bit

Getting Road Geeky...IDOT should add a "far end"  mileage sign on the IL Arrival side of the Ohio River Bridge, with US 51 Mileage to South Beloit!

KYDOT has a 2014 study of the Ohio River Bridge and it scored 38 out of 100.

But the biggest issue of note is that it has no seismic resistant design features. A New Madrid quake would drop it in the water. This was the largest driver to replace it.

According to the document, the planning area covers a large part of Cairo, and most of northern Kentucky opposite Cairo.

The preferred alignment was just north of the current bridge.

I didnt see a preferred design, but knowing it has to pass muster so close to an active fault line will probably drive the materials used.

I wouldnt be shocked if they pulled a CALTRANS design off the shelf.

Lyon Wonder

KYDOT has a document https://bit.ly/2KQ8uXa outlining the US 51/60/62 Ohio River bridge replacement. 

Alternate 2 has the new bridge just immediately upstream of the existing bridge just south of Cairo and very much preserves the existing arrangement of US 51/60/62 while Alternatives 3, 3A, 4 and 5 would have the new bridge built north of Cairo and near I-57 and IMO, would be more expensive since a lot of new highway ROW on the KY side would have to be paved too while building the new bridge just adjacent of the existing span wouldn't require it. 

There's also an option to simply rebuild the existing bridge with a new superstructure, which I guess would be similar to what MODOT did with the I-70 Blanchette bridge in MO or the US 421 bridge between KY and IN several years ago. Of course this document is from 2014 and KYDOT may have refined their choices since them.

My guess is they'll eventually build the new bridge near the existing bridge since it's probably a lot cheaper than the other options and KY is no longer pushing I-66, which would be about the only advantage of the more expensive options north of Cairo near I-57 since the location at or near the existing bridge wouldn't be easy to upgrade to interstate standards.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Lyon Wonder on May 09, 2018, 08:34:50 PM
My guess is they'll eventually build the new bridge near the existing bridge since it's probably a lot cheaper than the other options and KY is no longer pushing I-66, which would be about the only advantage of the more expensive options north of Cairo near I-57 since the location at or near the existing bridge wouldn't be easy to upgrade to interstate standards.

Quote from: ilpt4u on May 09, 2018, 01:36:05 PM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on May 09, 2018, 01:15:23 PM

Except I-57 crosses the Mississippi into Missouri, whereas US 51 crosses the Ohio into Kentucky...

Cairo just happens to be the meet point of both rivers

Unless I-57 is getting rerouted into Kentucky...that would be a lot of new routing to get to Walnut Ridge in Arkansas, and also involving a new MS River Bridge, too (Expensive)

Note that this bridge is half of the only route people can take via bridge from Kentucky to Missouri.  The bridge isn't just going to facilitate trips involving Illinoisans.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Flint1979

The Ohio River bridge is newer but only by about a decade.

kphoger

Quote from: paulthemapguy on May 10, 2018, 12:41:48 AM
Note that this bridge is half of the only route people can take via bridge from Kentucky to Missouri.  The bridge isn't just going to facilitate trips involving Illinoisans.

Indeed, it's part of my preferred route from Wichita to Nashville:  it's 70 miles shorter to go that way than to take the Interstates through KC and St Louis, and a lot better traffic.  Plenty of long-distance east-west traffic on that bridge, including trucks.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

edwaleni

Quote from: kphoger on May 11, 2018, 01:15:38 PM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on May 10, 2018, 12:41:48 AM

Indeed, it's part of my preferred route from Wichita to Nashville:  it's 70 miles shorter to go that way than to take the Interstates through KC and St Louis, and a lot better traffic.  Plenty of long-distance east-west traffic on that bridge, including trucks.

Yes. A few trucking firms get off at I-24 at Paducah and cut through Cairo to reach US-60 in Missouri.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.