News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-70/Glenwood Canyon Q?

Started by thenetwork, January 14, 2024, 11:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

One thing about the Glenwood Canyon stretch of I-70 has always puzzled me:

I realize that that was one of the most expensive cost-per-mile at the time of the initial building in the 1980s, which likely explains why it's a mish-mash of concrete and asphalt surfaces.

But why hasn't CDOT slowly replaced the asphalt segments with concrete over the years? 

The asphalt sections rarely last 3-5 years before they need some serious spot patching due to the normal snows, rock & mud-slides and freeze-thaw cycles in the canyon itself.

Some of the concrete has also been replaced within the last few years (mostly on the westbound upper decks), but have lasted far longer and required less upkeep than  most of the asphalt sections.  And if any major asphalt repair projects occur, it usually means a 2-way traffic setup on either the eastbound or westbound lanes for months on end.

I guess I would love to see the canyon move to being an all-concrete section someday soon just to keep future one-lane road projects to a minimum.

jlam

Quote from: thenetwork on January 14, 2024, 11:47:53 PM
But why hasn't CDOT slowly replaced the asphalt segments with concrete over the years? 
It's CDOT. They aren't known to be very eager to complete construction projects.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.