News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

New hurricane names

Started by Poiponen13, February 24, 2023, 06:56:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poiponen13

Maybe AARoads should have their own naming list for next season's winter storms. It would not feature forum usernames, but given names.

Max Rockatansky

I nominate Hurricane Sault Sainte John Madden. 

hotdogPi

I asked elsewhere if there has ever been a hurricane with the same name as the governor of a state the hurricane hit. I was told that Bob in 1985 (Florida) qualifies (and I can confirm that it's accurate). Any others?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Hunty2022

What if we do it the same way as a California license plate? We won't run out of names for a very long time, and if we somehow do, just reverse the format.

Hurricane 1AAA000
Hurricane 9ZZZ999

Hurricane 000AAA1
Hurricane 999ZZZ9
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

Poiponen13

Max Rockatansky

Poiponen13

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 30, 2023, 11:30:49 AM
Quote from: Poiponen13 on August 30, 2023, 11:29:45 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 30, 2023, 11:20:26 AM
I nominate Hurricane John Madden.
No.

I think this is needed.
I tell naming systems around the world:

Australia uses names in alphabetical order with continiung previous year's list for new season in both Australian region and South Pacific[size=78%].[/size]

North Indian Ocean uses names submitted by countries similar to Australia. (not in alphabetical order).

Western Pacific typhoon season do the same as above.

South-West Indian Ocean uses names in alphabetical order in yearly lists like Atlantic and Pacific. All used names in any given season are automatically retired.

South Atlantic uses names from one, now three lists which name the storms forming rarely, approximately one to two in any given local summer (from July to June).

Could these systems be used in Atlantic and Pacific hurricanes, or your winter storms? Other cool systems are naming of subtropical storms by NATO phonetic alphabet (as used in Atlantic in 1972 and 1973), and some mini-list alongside larger lists (as in Central Pacific, Indonesia and Papua New Guinea).

kphoger

Name them after large corporations–kind of like corporate sponsorship of sports stadiums/tournaments, but with added death and destruction.

Hurricane ExxonMobil
Hurricane Walmart
Hurricane Samsung
Hurricane Cargill
Hurricane Berkshire Hathaway
Hurricane Mitsubishi
Hurricane Alphabet Inc.
Hurricane 中国建筑集团有限公司
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

GaryV

We could start using names from a specific language, changing each year. I nominate Finnish for the first round.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on August 30, 2023, 11:57:08 AM
Name them after large corporations–kind of like corporate sponsorship of sports stadiums/tournaments, but with added death and destruction.

Hurricane ExxonMobil
Hurricane Walmart
Hurricane Samsung
Hurricane Cargill
Hurricane Berkshire Hathaway
Hurricane Mitsubishi
Hurricane Alphabet Inc.
Hurricane 中国建筑集团有限公司

Hurricane Flannery which is named in honor of this flan association group apparently disrupting the peace in Solano County:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33699.msg2865729#msg2865729

1995hoo

North American sports team names rendered in the singular (e.g., sticking with alphabetical order, Hurricane Avalanche, Hurricane Bruin, Hurricane Coyote). If the league chosen for a particular year doesn't have a team named with a particular letter, you just skip that letter that year.

Lends itself to fun when you get to the "H" team in the league to which I was just referring with those examples.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Poiponen13

Quote from: GaryV on August 30, 2023, 12:18:33 PM
We could start using names from a specific language, changing each year. I nominate Finnish for the first round.
Finland names every storm that form on any given year by name which appears on calendars on that day. For example, the storm which hit on August 8 was named Sylvia, because that day had name Sylvia on calendars. If a storm formed today, it would be named Eemeli, or on May 17, Sault Sainte John Madden (really, not a joke because Sault Sainte John Madden is on calendars [Booger Queen is not]).

hotdogPi

It's been several months. How is your relationship with John Madden going?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Poiponen13

Quote from: 1 on August 30, 2023, 01:04:04 PM
It's been several months. How is your relationship with John Madden going?
Sault Sainte John Madden is a Finnish female name. Its name day is May 17.

Poiponen13

Maybe names which have been retired more than 50 years ago could have been put back to new lists. It's been so much from these years so many people have forgotten them, or will have forgotten by 2050, so lists from 2050 onwards could include these names. Such names are e.g. Carol, Hazel, Connie, Audrey, Hattie, Betsy and Camille.

wanderer2575

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 30, 2023, 12:41:06 PM
North American sports team names rendered in the singular (e.g., sticking with alphabetical order, Hurricane Avalanche, Hurricane Bruin, Hurricane Coyote). If the league chosen for a particular year doesn't have a team named with a particular letter, you just skip that letter that year.

Lends itself to fun when you get to the "H" team in the league to which I was just referring with those examples.

Too bad this wasn't in place so we could have Hurricane Football Team.

Poiponen13

I have an idea: wildfires, floods, heat waves and cold waves should also receive names from lists because they also can be strong and behave similarly to hurricanes.

Max Rockatansky

Why though?  The whole convention of naming hurricanes at best is of a nominal benefit.  The infamy of the 1935 Labor Day Hurricane and 1928 Lake Okeechobee Hurricane were very well known when I lived in South Florida.  Giving those two hurricanes human names accomplishes what?

1995hoo

California does name wildfires. I've never bothered to find out what protocol they use for selecting the names.

Max Rockatansky

The best I can tell is that they are named after a nearby geographic feature.  The "Caldor Fire"  was named after the ghost town of Caldor as an example.  The names are nonsensical enough that it is often easier to refer to them as "the fire by x city."

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 31, 2023, 11:59:31 AM
Why though?  The whole convention of making hurricanes at best is of a nominal benefit.  The infamy of the 1935 Labor Day Hurricane and 1928 Lake Okeechobee Hurricane were very well known when I lived in South Florida.  Giving those two hurricanes human names accomplishes what?
Who makes hurricanes and how do I get that job?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on August 31, 2023, 12:29:14 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 31, 2023, 11:59:31 AM
Why though?  The whole convention of making hurricanes at best is of a nominal benefit.  The infamy of the 1935 Labor Day Hurricane and 1928 Lake Okeechobee Hurricane were very well known when I lived in South Florida.  Giving those two hurricanes human names accomplishes what?
Who makes hurricanes and how do I get that job?

Got me, the closest I ever got was obliterating cities in Sim City 2000 for fun.  Hurricanes in that game could even be compounded atop the previous storms to flood the whole map.

Poiponen13

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 31, 2023, 12:27:23 PM
The best I can tell is that they are named after a nearby geographic feature.  The "Caldor Fire"  was named after the ghost town of Caldor as an example.  The names are nonsensical enough that it is often easier to refer to them as "the fire by x city."
Bettter if they would be named from rotating lists, starting from A and going to W, like hurricanes, and significant fires' names retired.

1995hoo

Quote from: Poiponen13 on August 31, 2023, 12:38:57 PM
Bettter if they would be named from rotating lists, starting from A and going to W, like hurricanes, and significant fires' names retired.

Why would that be better?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 31, 2023, 12:47:36 PM
Quote from: Poiponen13 on August 31, 2023, 12:38:57 PM

Why would that be better?

Poiponen much like a great deal of the road community likes to classify everything into an orderly list.  This is exactly why grid perfectionism is such a thing in the road community.  The real answer is that there isn't any value to 99.9% of people.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.