News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Most iconic Meteorologist in each metro

Started by Flint1979, October 09, 2023, 10:59:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwana39

Dallas -Ft Worth had two that were true icons

Harold Taft at WBAP / KXAS (CH5)

and

Troy Dungan at WFAA (CH8)
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

bwana39

Shreveport Bossier has had a couple

Al Bolton at KSLA (In a mid-1950's photo doubling as the host of a kiddie show Al's Corral.) on KSLA (CH12) After retiring, he did gardening segments for the morning on KTBS (CH3)

and

Ron Young at KTAL (Ch 6) and on the morning show at KSLA (CH 12)
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

bing101

Joel Bartlett he is one of the legends in reporting the weather in the San Francisco area.

jp the roadgeek

For Hartford, I'd have to Hilton Kaderli.  Today being cold and rainy means it's a real gullywhomper out there.  Almost got blown away once on the top of Mt. Washington
https://youtu.be/KgkZjOMTAMM?si=ku_f9oSgcMp_XQ1Q
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on October 09, 2023, 10:31:13 PM
Quote from: Henry on October 09, 2023, 10:25:48 PM
I'm Googling Seattle's most iconic meteorologists, and two names come to mind: Walter Kelley and Harry Wappler. When I relocated from L.A. in 2000, Harry was nearing the end of his career, and thus I never got to see enough of him, so I'm leaning towards Walter as the top weatherman in Seattle.

Steve Pool was by far the most iconic Seattle weatherman. He was part of a long-running trio at KOMO and only retired in 2019.

I don't think it's "by far", Jeff Renner at KING was quite iconic too.

formulanone

For the Miami metro area, it's probably a tie between Bob Weaver (calm demeanor, longevity, plus Weaver the Weatherbird), Brian Norcross (for dealing with a direct hit from Hurricane Andrew and somehow staying on the air out of a supply closet), and Jackie Johnson (physical appearance).

iowahighways

I've only been in the Des Moines area since 2002, but Ed Wilson of WHO-TV and Brad Edwards of WOI-TV have been there as long as I have, if not longer. John McLaughlin spent about 30 years at KCCI before retiring due to health issues several years ago.

I grew up in the Quad Cities, where I'd say Neil Kastor and Terry Swails -- both of whom have long since retired -- have that honor. Kastor spent a long time at WQAD, and Swails at KWQC.
The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 11, 2023, 08:23:53 AM
Quote from: Takumi on October 10, 2023, 11:26:40 PM
WWBT's Andrew Frieden for Richmond. Before him it was probably Jim Duncan.

I'd consider WRIC's John Bernier as well just for longevity.  Andrew Frieden actually came to my elementary school in Prince George once when I was young.

John Bernier also has wider regional appeal since he does weather for Beach 104 in the OBX.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Road Hog

TV weatherman is a job I regret not pursuing. I worked in a teensy-weensy TV market for a while as a non-weatherman (and non-TV) and the two local ones on air were extremely popular. They were very good at live severe weather and curated some excellent storm chasers that gave live storm video.

You get stuff wrong and can just shrug and say oops.

In Texas, the "10 o'clock backdown" from an expected big snow is a huge feature and almost a running joke.

bing101

Wayne Shattuck is a legend in Florida on WFTS Tampa. Note he also did water reports in Dallas and Los Angeles prior to Tampa.

bing101

Prior to Dallas Raines getting mentioned as the longest tenured weather person on KABC Los Angeles, Dr George Fischbeck was the longest tenured weather person in Los Angeles.

JMoses24

For Cincinnati, it was easily "Doppler" Tim Hedrick at WKRC for 28 years. Unfortunately, complications from prostate cancer would take his life in 2016, though he fought hard as hell.

His successor, John Gumm, worked at WWL-TV in New Orleans when Katrina hit. His home took severe damage from that storm, and he ended up moving back to the Cincinnati area that October. He's been with WKRC since (first in mornings...in a bizarre move, WKRC did not give Gumm the "chief meteorologist" title until more than 4 years after Hedrick passed).

Some in Cincinnati would say that Pat Barry was the iconic meteorologist here. Barry didn't have a degree in meteorology, though...and was more a personality that gave a weather forecast.

epzik8

In Baltimore, everyone knows Tom Tasselmyer (WBAL) and Bob Turk (WJZ), who recently retired.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

How about one in Congress . Eric Sorenson went from Rockford to to WQAD....and then Rep for IL 17 . His degrees is from Northern so it would be Meteorology or an Earth Science.

SP Cook

In the Huntington - Charleston market WSAZ - NBC is one of the most dominant TV stations in the country, never having gotten a rating lower than twice the combined ratings of the ABC and CBS stations.  (This is mostly due to WSAZ actually covering the market, which spans 66 counties in 3 states, while the ABC station covers only who murdered whom in the west side of Charleston yesterday, and the CBS station is just 100% WV politics and Pittsburgh/WVU sports.)

So the all time weatherman would be Jule Huffman, who also was "Mr. Cartoon" which was one of those deals where they brought in kids to the studio. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVT5Pe8ugQM

The current guy, is his replacement, who is now nearing retirement, Tony Cavalier (which sounds like a stage name, but they swear it isn't)

https://www.wsaz.com/authors/Tony/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.